Thursday, December 1, 2016

A Season Full of Awards: NYFCC


Picture

La La Land
The fact that this wins here despite the fact that it won NOTHING else and they so clearly adored Moonlight just goes to show the power of a universal crowd pleaser.  I can't see ANYTHING taking the Oscar over this.  It is written.

Director

Barry Jenkins for Moonlight
I have doubted him since the beginning, because he feels like such a critical darling that Oscar inevitably snubs, but his wins are starting to rack up (he also won NBR) and so maybe he will become a force.

Screenplay

Manchester By the Sea
I still expect this to repeat with Oscar.

Supporting Actress

Michelle Williams for Certain Women
&

Michelle Williams for Manchester By the Sea
I want to believe that this is still Michelle's year, but Davis is salivating over the chance to snatch that Oscar and she feels like a real Oscar choice, so I have such doubts!!!

Supporting Actor

Mahershala Ali for Moonlight
I kind of hate myself right now for doubting his Oscar chances.  I mean, I still don't think he's locked in or anything, but I something brewing.

Lead Actor

Casey Affleck for Manchester By the Sea
Get that Oscar, Casey!

Lead Actress

Isabelle Huppert for Elle
&
Isabelle Huppert for The Things to Come
She's shaping up to be the Marion Cotillard of this year.  I'm more than OK with this!

Cinematography

Moonlight
I've doubted all things Moonlight, but it could be much stronger than anticipated.  It could also sweep through the critics and still wind up Oscar snubbed in the end.  This is a very tricky combination of critical darling with very un-Oscary material.

Animated Film

Zootopia
Are we serious?  I mean, I love this movie...and I wholly expect it to be Oscar unstoppable, but even with the critics?

Documentary Feature

O.J. Made in America
I did not see this film being as strong as it is...

Foreign Film

Toni Erdmann
I have a feeling this will be our Oscar winner...

First Film

The Edge of Seventeen
&
Krisha
And yet another win for Krisha.  I don't know what to make of this, but could it make a play for Documentary?  Is it eligible?  I need to find this out.

18 comments:

  1. I remeber Krisha winning something at the Indie Spirit awards last year so who knows what'll come from it now? And I saw a trailer for Toni Whatever-the-fuck-it's called when I saw Nocturnal Animals, and it looked... interesting. I'm now wondering if there might be chances for a Williams/Davis tie? That would be fun! Love seeing the Huppert love also (yes I'm retracting my previews statement haha) But again, I NEED to see all these movies before we can make final judgment lol. And who knows? This may tourn out to be a surprising year when it comes to Oscar noms? :) By the way I'm not used to seeing you post so frequently, it's overwhelming lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, a good kind of overwhelming, right?

      Delete
  2. Ali is amazing in Moonlight, you don't often think 'Oh man, I love this drug dealer" as much as you do watching him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO HAPPY for Ali right now and kind of hope that he sweeps and gets that Oscar, regardless of how much I had been rooting for this to be Neeson's year.

      Delete
  3. LOL Krisha is NOT a documentary.

    Moonlight is happening. In multiple categories. It's one of those cases where quality will out. Plus I think it's the biggest beneficiary of Birth of a Nation's fizzling out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I started watching it on Amazon Prime knowing nothing about it and while I only lasted the first 5 minutes (interrupted by kids) I was sure that from the way it was shot it was a doc. LOL. I will need to watch this fully now.

      Delete
  4. Where the hell did Isabelle Huppert come from?? Left fieldin it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she's been in the conversation since Cannes...and many (myself included) have been predicting her for a while. Her reviews/buzz and campaign is huge right now.

      Delete
  5. It's about time Isabelle Huppert gets some serious Oscar consideration. She should've had 6-7 Oscar nods already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. moonlight, La-La Land, Manchester by the Sea and some others seem to be sneaking up everywhere but I would not rule out Hacksaw Ridge for the Oscar....war story that is based on truth, heart felt made by a person who is trying to redeem himself...all depends if they forgive him. O.J is everywhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hacksaw Ridge has made a serious dent in the season...which I am quite shocked by.

      Delete
  7. Loved Zootopia and O.J. Made in America and I'm rooting for both to do well during awards season.
    I'm catching Toni Erdmann this week, it's super long, but looks quite original. I really liked the realism and details of the director's previous Alle andre (2009) for how it depicted their daily life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How was Toni Erdmann!!!!????

      Delete
    2. @Fisti: My review: https://letterboxd.com/mas365/film/toni-erdmann/

      Delete
  8. Jenkins is probably getting a Screenplay Oscar now, since it's in Adapted. Everybody wins. :) (Ugh, I still need to see Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be cool to see three of the directors win awards for categories outside Director (Jenkins and Lonergan for Screenplay and Chazelle for Song)...

      Delete