Wednesday, November 23, 2016

A Season Full of Awards: ISA (Independent Spirit Awards) ~ Nominations



Best Feature

“American Honey”
“Chronic”
“Jackie”
“Manchester by the Sea”
“Moonlight”

It's weird to me that a film like Chronic made it, when everything I hear from those who have seen it was that it was very underwhelming; and Hell or High Water was in contention and had a lot of buzz/praise going into this so it seems odd that it missed.  Loving also feels like a strange omission, considering the love the ISA has for Nichols.  That being said, three of these films (Jackie, Manchester by the Sea & Moonlight) are almost guarantied Oscar nominations for Best Picture.

Best Director

Andrea Arnold (“American Honey”)
Barry Jenkins (“Moonlight”)
Pablo Larrain (“Jackie”)
Jeff Nichols (“Loving”)
Kelly Reichardt (“Certain Women”)

No Lonergan?  This does not compute.  Actually, a LOT of these nominations/snubs don't compute.  Lonergan is one that I'd say is almost assured an Oscar nomination, while Jenkins and Larrain feel...uncertain, despite the raves for their films.  Odd...

Best First Feature

“The Childhood of a Leader”
“The Fits”
“Other People”
“Swiss Army Man”
“The Witch”

Love for Swiss Army Man makes me happy.  That being said, none of these films will compete for Oscar attention in any category.

Best Male Lead

Casey Affleck (“Manchester by the Sea”)
David Harewood (“Free in Deed”)
Viggo Mortensen (“Captain Fantastic”)
Jesse Plemons (“Other People”)
Tim Roth (“Chronic”)

No Edgerton makes my heart hurt.  Affleck is going to take this rather easily, and his path to Oscar glory is looking...very good.  The rest of the nominees here aren't going to factor into the race at all, with the exception (possible) of Mortensen...but I'm not so sure about that.

Best Female Lead

Annette Bening (“20th Century Women”)
Isabelle Huppert (“Elle”)
Sasha Lane (“American Honey”)
Ruth Negga (“Loving”)
Natalie Portman (“Jackie”)

Could Bening, Huppert, Negga AND Portman all be Oscar nominated?  The ISA matches more often than you'd think with this particular category.  2010 anyone?

Best Supporting Male

Ralph Fiennes (“A Bigger Splash”)
Ben Foster (“Hell or High Water”)
Lucas Hedges (“Manchester by the Sea”)
Shia LaBeouf (“American Honey”)
Craig Robinson (“Morris from America”)

I'm holding out hope for Hedges...but honestly, I could see all from this category snubbed.  Where the hell is Ali and Sarsgaard?

Best Supporting Female

Edwina Findley (“Free in Deed”)
Paulina Garcia (“Little Men”)
Lily Gladstone (“Certain Women”)
Riley Keough (“American Honey”)
Molly Shannon (“Other People”)

What the actual f***?  No Michelle Williams?  This feels...really strange.  Harris I can understand ONLY because her reviews are nowhere near as uniformly stellar and her film won the Altman 'ensemble' award, so that is where she's rewarded, but Williams seemed like a lock to WIN this.  None of these nominees will repeat with Oscar.

Best Screenplay

“Hell or High Water”
“Little Men”
“Manchester by the Sea”
“Moonlight”
“20th Century Women”

I could honestly see 4 of these repeating with Oscar...

Best First Screenplay

“Barry”
“Christine”
“Jean of the Joneses”
“Other People”
“The Witch”

Nice...

Best International Film

“Aquarius”
“Chevalier”
“My Golden Days”
“Toni Erdmann”
“Under the Shadow”

I'm not sure what to make of Aquarius and it's chances.  Hell, I'm not sure what to make of this category at all, but I have a suspicion that Cannes triumph (critically, not with awards) Toni Erdmann is going to show up everywhere.

Best Documentary Feature

“13th”
“Cameraperson”
“I Am Not Your Negro”
“O.J.: Made in America”
“Sonita”
“Under the Sun”

We are starting to see a lot of repeat names.

Best Cinematography

“American Honey”
“Childhood”
“Free in Deed”
“Eyes of My Mother”
“Moonlight”

Only Moonlight has a shot at an Oscar nom, and from what I hear it would be VERY deserving...but some of these guilds are very picky about allowing new people into their fold and so it would not surprise me if there is a Moonlight snub come Oscar morning.

Best Editing

“Hell or High Water”
“Jackie”
“Manchester by the Sea”
“Moonlight”
“Swiss Army Man”

From what I hear, Jackie is very sharply edited.  That could play well here and with Oscar.

John Cassavetes Award

“Free in Deed”
“Hunter Gatherer”
“Lovesong”
“Nakom”
“Spa Night”

Nice...

Robert Altman Award

“Moonlight”

This is probably why we have no actors from the film nominated.  Strange rule (if it is even a rule) but it seems like the only possible explanation. 

22 comments:

  1. I can't seem to find if it was eligible for this year or last year, but I wish Midnight Special would've gotten some love. Some of these I guessed, others are completely surprises. I am happy to see Foster in there for Hell or High Water. I was afraid they'd push Bridges, who, IMO isn't nearly as good as Foster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like Bridges is still getting the studio push, though, and he's looking likely for an Oscar nom. We'll have to see how the precursors react.

      Delete
    2. Uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

      Delete
    3. I feel you, Britt. Bridges wasn't terrible but Foster was the MVP of the film IMO. Even Pine was better than Bridges.

      Delete
    4. I've heard that Bridges was a very...Bridges 'could do it in his sleep' type role, but the studio seems confident in that push right now.

      Delete
  2. Super happy to see Swiss Army Man popping up. It deserves every award it can get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait ti g see moonlight, and I just got back from Nocturnal Animals. Holy F-ing shit it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love the ISA but nowadays, not so much. It got too predictable in terms of the people that win and it isn't exciting these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like that they do have a chance to award/nominate forgotten films, and they do that (sometime to a fault...like this year) but overall, their winners are far too predictable; I'll give you that.

      Delete
  5. I love this batch of nominees. I also like how they showered American Honey with praise, showing how they're starting to go their own path. Plus, it's nice to see Andrea Arnold get recognized for her work.

    Lastly, Ali and Harris did miss out because it won the Robert Altman Award which bars Moonlight from competing in the individual acting categories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Altman Award clause is a weird one...

      Delete
  6. I feel so sad...I know dip shit about any of these. When I am home I will be looking all of these up. I did look up the one with Viggo (whom I love) and that films sounds wonky which is what Viggo likes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound wonky, but I hear that it is quite the crowd pleaser and he's getting great ink for it.

      Delete
  7. I can't wait to dig into these! I renewed my membership, so I'm hoping for some great - and essential, especially for the really small movies - screeners again. (Ugh, I just wish La La Land had been eligible. :P)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not seen even one of the nominees just yet. I'm only here to say I did hard double-take AND pause when I scrolled by the name Craig Robinson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's getting raves for Morris from America. I'm kind of shocked, too...not that I don't like him because in many ways I do (he's my favorite guest performer on Brooklyn-Nine-Nine) but I never saw him as an award's contender in any way (and he isn't, as far as Oscar is concerned) but this is his second nomination this year (he was also nominated at the Gothams).

      Delete