Wednesday, November 2, 2016

A Season Full of Awards: IDA (International Documentary Association) Awards


The documentary races are always the hardest to pin down so early in the season, but here we can at least get a slight handle on what is being embraced and snubbed.  This will, ultimately, mean very little because the tide will change and the televised awards mean a lot with these categories, but for now we can give this a little attention.

Best Feature Award
13th
Cameraperson
Fire at Sea
I Am Not Your Negro
O.J.: Made in America
Weiner

The 13th is gaining traction as an undeniable frontrunner on buzz alone, and O.J., Weiner and I Am not Your Negro have already shown up with Gotham so you can pencil in another showing for them here.  

Best Short Award
The Above
Clinica De Migrantes : Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness
Extremis
Pickle
Red Lake
The White Helmets

If you think Documentary is hard to predict...Documentary Short is even harder!  I have no clue yet what to make of this category or these potential nominees.

14 comments:

  1. I'm fairly confident all 6 of those Best Feature nominees will make the shortlist, in addition to at least 2 of the Netflix contenders (Into the Inferno, Amanda Knox, The Ivory Game).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have a feeling The Ivory Game could be a serious contender (for a nomination from AMPAS). Do you think The 13th has the staying power to go all the way?

      Delete
    2. Yes I think so. I think it has everything going for it. Netflix support, popular director, relevant topic and it will be getting a lot of precursor awards attention.

      Delete
    3. I'm happy for DuVernay. She could be holding an Oscar statuette very soon.

      Delete
  2. I know basically nothing about documentaries... but gonna say Weiner is gonna get an Oscar not cos, well, it's the only one I've seen so far xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reviews are great for it and it has already popped up twice, so it's looking good to head in that direction.

      Delete
  3. I have heard of OJ and 13th but not even sure what the 13th is about. Hmmmm there could be a documentary about my cats and I wouldn't know:) I would love to be able to see some of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watched 13th last night and it is a very powerful look at the prison system here in the US and how it is failing the African American population. I'd be shocked if it didn't sail through to Oscar honors in a few months.

      Delete
  4. I've seen O.J. Made in America, which was shown on TV where I live. For such a long documentary, it sure was completely engrossing to watch! Did a good job of presenting racial tensions in America. Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to check that one out!

      Delete
  5. So far, I've only seen 13th...so go 13th! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm rooting for it to go all the way.

      Delete