Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A Season Full of Awards: Gotham Winners


Best Picture
Moonlight

This has no chance in hell at actually winning Best Picture at the Oscars...but this upset over Manchester By the Sea (which seemed like the stronger film) could solidify it's place on nomination morning.  This could wind up being a stronger film than I initially anticipated.

Documentary
O.J. Made in America

I think a concensus is starting to form over the documentaries we'll be seeing pop up on nomination morning.  This feels like one of them.

Actor
Casey Affleck for Manchester By the Sea

Stars are aligning for Casey to snatch up that Oscar, and I'm so happy for him since he's one of those actors who is consistently good, and he should already have an Oscar in his hands for his tremendous performance in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.  Washington could still make a play, but right now it's looking like Casey will actually take this, especially in the light of Viola stealing Williams' Oscar.

Actress
Isabelle Huppert for Elle

So, this happened.  Huppert, I think, is stronger than we all thought she was.  I never saw Portman as undeniable, and I still think that Oscar is Stone's, but this makes things so much more interesting.  Watching this go down like 2012, with Stone and Huppert being the Lawrence/Riva pairing.  AMAZING!

Screenplay
Moonlight

Over Manchester By the Sea seems strange and yet, this movie is truly beloved.  Could this repeat with Oscar?  I'm not so sure, since Lonergan seems like someone AMPAS will want to reward this year, but you never know.  It's beginning to look like a real race.

Breakthrough Director
Trey Edward Schultz for Krisha

In terms of Oscar, this means nothing.

Breakthrough Actor
Anya Taylor-Joy for The Witch

This also means nothing, considering who it is.  She has no Oscar traction and won't get any.  Poor Lucas Hedges...I thought this could have been the start of his onslaught of Breakthrough Awards this season.

22 comments:

  1. I'm behind on my current film viewing but I'd love to see Isabelle Huppert at least score an Oscar nomination after years of neglect, just like Charlotte Rampling last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's looking like she'll be this year's Riva/Rampling...legendary actress finally scoring her first Oscar nom.

      Delete
    2. Hell...she could be runner-up this year!

      Delete
  2. Even if it's not the strongest film this year, I like seeing a movie like Moonlight getting this much attention and recognition! Should be an interesting year come Oscar time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hesitant to predict this all over the place and yet...the critics are really making a case for it.

      Delete
  3. Id do find it kinda funny all the praise Huppert's been getting for Elle when all the trailers just show her staring blankly most of the time lol. I wouldn't be shocked if she gets nominated this year seeing as how Oscar diversifying could be a life or death situation this year... metaphorically of course. Also Anya will certainly be getting some attention from my awards as well, I thought she was AMAZING in The Witch. Also I'm surprised Kate Winslet or Judy Davis haven't been showing up for their work in The Dressmaker anywhere so far, they were both so good! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dressmaker seems to be forgotten...

      Delete
  4. Let me just say - Moonlight TOTALLY has the goods. Especially given the political situation this year, I can see this picking up a LOT of traction for Best Picture. That ensemble acting award is BEYOND deserved.

    As is Isabelle Huppert's win for Elle. What a risky, ridiculously tricky part, and she pulls it off effortlessly. EFFORTLESSLY. There is no other actress who could do what she did in this part, let alone do it as well as she did. It's absolutely fearless, stunning work.

    I personally would LOVE IT if Anya Taylor-Joy gathered some Best Supporting Actress traction, given how incredible she is in The Witch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never doubt Moonlight's deserving...until I see it for myself...but I do doubt Oscar biting in a large way. BP seems assured and yet, so did Carol last year...until it didn't.

      Huppert snagging that Oscar nom and coming in second (because, let's face it, she won't win the Oscar) will give me LIFE!

      Delete
  5. So happy with all the Gotham winners.
    Moonlight is actually my best picture but I have yet to see both La La Land and Silence and Fences of course.
    The Casey Affleck win just make me so happy! I fully deserved it.
    I hope this Huppert win will translate into an Oscar nomination but I have some doubts; the best Actress race is so crowded this year, we have her, Portman, Stone, Chastain, Negga, Streep, Bening and also Adams in Arrival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year in film is looking to make me very happy, I can feel it!

      Delete
  6. Did the OJ doc get a theatrical release? As good as it was, I thought it was an ESPN flick, and thus, not eligible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's apparently eligible and sneaking closer and closer to that Oscar win.

      Delete
  7. Isabelle deserves some accolades. It seems The OJ documentary is big which is sad considering he killed 2 people but I heard he is in full onset dementia and the other inmates call him stinky due to the diapers he is wearing.....it is a horrible disease which my mom has but he deserves this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I need to see this doc ASAP

      Delete
    2. No..what you have is called stress but I'm glad you are back:)

      Delete
  8. Anya Taylor-Joy is everything, I'm glad she won that!

    I haven't seen the OJ doc yet...or American Crime Story..I'm just behind in general with OJ stuff.

    I love Moonlight, I can't wait for you to see it, Drew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do I really need to watch The Witch? I basically have NO desire to and yet...I feel like everything is pointing me in the direction of 'you must'...

      I can't wait to see Moonlight!

      Delete
  9. I'm wondering if Manchester gets shut out at the Oscars. If they really go for La La Land and Denzel, I don't see it winning anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think Affleck wins...but I'm less bullish on Screenplay...as La La Land seems poised to take everything.

      Watch Gosling win :-O

      Delete