Friday, September 9, 2016

Sunshine Blogger Award


So, as many of you know, this has been a rough year for me, and unfortunately life stepping in the way of my blogging and what used to be a pretty consistent and prolific blog has become a wasteland of broken dreams and the occasional post trying in some sort of way to regain a sliver of it's former being.  But, not matter how little I get to post or how little I get to comment (seriously guys, I'm SO SORRY that I don't stop by as regularly as I used to), not a single day goes by when I don't think of you all fondly.

And then one of you mentions me in a post and my heart skips a little beat because I realize that you haven't forgotten about me and that you, too, think of me fondly.

So, before I get on with responding to this particular award, I want to say thank you to all who remember me because I still remember you (and always will).

And to Sati and Daniel...thank you so much for thinking of me, and Dan...your dedication:

Actually, pretty much everyone I would nominate has already been nominated (and most have accepted), so that makes this kinda hard. BUT, there is one person who always brings the sunshine when he posts who as far as I can tell has NOT been nominated for this award, so PLEASE JOIN ME in bestowing this honor on Drew (or Fisti, whichever your prefer) over at A Fistful of Films. We all love you, Drew, and while we all know "real life" has to come first, that doesn't stop us from missing you and your posts something awful. Thanks for the light you have always brought to this little corner of the blogosphere. I don't think there's anyone more deserving.

F***ing tears, man!



For starters, since she nominated me first, here are my answers to Sati's questions:

1. Who would play you in a movie based on your life?


So this is somewhat loaded.  My life is a serious of accidents that lead to where I am now, and it all depends on what series you want to watch as to what actor is best for the job.  My teen years were...messy and were full of drama thanks to certain family members and teenage ridiculousness...so if you are looking for a film filled with siblings running away, abusive boyfriends (not mine), racial tension, unwanted pregnancy, assault...battery and arrests, heavy partying, sexual depravity, drugs etc...then look no further than that portion of my life and for that I give you Miles Teller in the role of Fisti.  It makes too much sense.

BUT...if you want a more grounded film with a more focused narrative that deals with subtle tensions eroding a marriage and fathers and mothers trying to put their children first while falling further away from each other with the on-again-off-again...she said he said...sprinkling of affairs and the occasional violent outbursts with lots of shower masturbation then, I present to you Joel Edgerton in the role of Fisti because, well, just because.


2. What is your favorite movie ending of all time?

EASILY Laurence Anyways.  Ending at the beginning in the most perfect way imaginable. 


UGH, ALL THE FEELS!!!

3. Who is your favorite cinematic Batman?


Christian Bale; duh.

4. What is the funniest movie you've ever seen?


Enough said.

5. Your sexiest movie character ever choice?


Scarlett Johansson in Match Point for all the boners. 

6. What do you like most about our movie blogosphere?

Fellow bloggers.  You have all been so kind to me and have even indulged me by being a part of my personal blogging endeavors; participating in blogathons and in series alongside me and I am forever grateful and will always remember that.

7. What is your favorite movie blog?

This feels like such a loaded question...BUT, I can say that if it weren't for Nate over at The Film Experience and his incredible blog, I would have never even started blogging...and if it weren't for Josh over at The Cinematic Spectacle and his embrace of this site, I would have quit before I even began, so they are two movie bloggers that I will always support and adore.

8. Will Sati survive Blade Runner 2?

Will any of us?

9. What is your most anticipated movie at the moment?



10. What is the most underseen movie you love?


Whenever I think of a movie that I love that everyone else either hates or hasn't seen, The Family Stone is the first one that comes to mind.  It's just such a warm and beautifully rich character study that has a uniformly wonderful ensemble and is sharp and funny and dramatic and honest and just...I don't care if you don't like it, I love it!

11.What movie character do you identify with?

There are three that immediately come to mind.  All three are vastly different, which may seem odd, but I see so much of myself within them that it makes sense to me.  Ned Seton (from Holiday), Frank Whitaker (from Far From Heaven) and most accurately Johnny (from In America).


Make of that what you will.

And now we move on to Dan's questions:

1. What always cheers you up when you're feeling down?


This may sound super generic, but in all honesty whenever I'm feeling down the best medicine is snuggling in bed with my three little superheros and watching a Disney movie.  The best feeling in the world is realizing that they've all fallen asleep in my arms while the movie is still on and I finish it with their slumbering cuddles and I feel like everything is better and tomorrow will be great because they are here and that's all that has ever mattered.

The magic of Disney.

2. When you go to the movies, do you get something from the concession stand? If so, what?

I'm cheap, so no...unless it's one of those awesome theaters where I can get a beer and if so then that is what I get...and maybe some tacos.

3. Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu Plus?

Gurl, I have all three.

4. Who is your favorite actress who never won an Oscar?

What kind of question is this!?!?!?  How can I choose just ONE!?!?!  I can't even bring myself...like...HOW?!?!?  I guess we can reference this post from way back when.

5. Which performance of theirs is your favorite?

DUDE, I can't even decide which one is my favorite.  I placed Kerr at #1 mainly because her lack of an Oscar makes no sense...but maybe Stanwyck would be my favorite of the actual actresses on the list...or Naomi Watts (yes, I said it)...and if we're going Watts (because I'm feeling very Watts today) then it's easily:


Seriously...for ALL the Oscars.

UGH...and now I'm remembering that there are some incredible actresses that didn't even make that list because that list was SO Hollywood and now I'm thinking that Jeanne Moreau is probably my favorite actress to not ever win an Oscar...or let alone snag a single Oscar nomination...and if we go with her than it's easily:


SLAY ME!!!!

6. What is the first movie that made you love movies?


It was seeing this movie in my room on my small 13 inch TV late at night (obviously with the volume down super low so my over-strict parents didn't find me watching it) that made me realize movies were more than just...movies...and it was the power of god Russell Crowe that made me the movie buff that I am today.

7. Where is your favorite place you have ever traveled?


Venice, Italy.  Take me back.

8. Who is your favorite Muppet?


Fozzie!

9. Jeopardy! or Wheel of Fortune?

Wheel of Fortune...mostly because Jeopardy makes me feel stupid.

10. How should we all feel about the upcoming remake of The Magnificent Seven? Because I am REALLY unsure.


Here's the deal...we all know this will suck.  If this were coming out in the late 90's or early 00's I'd say that even though it is bound to suck, it should at least be fun...but this is the 2010's and so sucky movies take themselves far too seriously to actually be fun anymore.  It'll just suck.  It'll be forgettable, regrettable suckage.

11. What was the last movie you saw more than once in theaters, and why?


I'm cheap, as I mentioned earlier, so I don't often see movies more than once in the theater...but I cried so much during my first viewing here that I had to make the trip back out to see it (it was playing about an hour away at a small indie theater) the following week.  

And that is all...I'm supposed to choose 11 more, but you've all pretty much been selected, so instead I want to just thank so many of you for continuing to support me, to read my sporadic posts and to comment and shower me with attention and love.  I'll come back to you, I promise, and it is these kinds of things that make me realize that no matter when that day comes, no matter how far away it is, I'll always have this wonderful blogging family to come home to!

28 comments:

  1. Aw, YAY!!! Thanks for answering these!

    Very interesting choices of actors to play yourself! I'd watch the hell out of both of those movies, although not gonna lie, I'd probably be more into the one where Joel Edgerton partakes in a lot of shower masturbation. Just sayin'. ;-P

    HOLD UP. The ending of Laurence Anyways tops the ending of Mommy?!? WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?!?!? lol

    Scarlett is FIRE in Match Point. So is Jonathan Rhys Meyers, actually, which is why I was TOTALLY down with them hooking up.

    Damn you for mentioning In America. Now I have to hide my face at work until I can wipe off these tears.

    I'm in the same cheap boat as you when it comes to movie snacks. I'll only get popcorn rarely, and that's usually when I'm having to skip dinner (or at least push it back significantly lol). It's how I was raised, too. We NEVER got concessions at the movies. My mom would smuggle in popcorn from home.

    LOL I know the never-winning actress question was a toughie! I was thinking of Maureen O'Hara in The Quiet Man when I wrote it, but reading your old list and thinking about it again, I think I'd have to say that Judy Garland is my favorite, and my favorite performance of hers is either A Star is Born (DUH) or Judgment at Nuremberg. Watts is an EXCELLENT answer, though. She definitely should have been nominated and won for Mulholland Drive, and she should have at least one additional nomination from her non-nominated work (King Kong).

    JEANNE MOREAU. As much as I ADORE Jules & Jim and her in it, I saw Elevator to the Gallows at Film Forum recently and OMG it's practically a love letter to her face. She's INCREDIBLE in it.

    LOVE that description of teenage you watching Gladiator. If only I had had a TV in my bedroom when I was younger...

    I LONG to go to Italy. SIGH. Some day...

    I KNEW you would say Fozzie was your favorite Muppet. Mine is Animal.

    Why am I not surprised that Mommy was the last film you saw twice in theaters? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edgerton would get to do a lot more than that, BTW...so let's get this movie made!

      UGH, both are so good, but the ending of Laurence Anyways just SLAYS me so much...like, lump in my throat just thinking about it.

      In America wrecks me so hard.

      UGH!!! O'Hara is EVERYTHING in The Quiet Man!!!

      You think she's great in Elevator to the Gallows, watch her in The Lovers. Like...MY GOD, she's perfection!

      Delete
  2. Hi Drew! Congrats on your award! Sooo many fun answers here man, and yes we share our fave cinematic Batman [high five!]

    I love Josh's blog too, miss him a lot as he seems to have forgotten me :\

    Gladiator was da bomb wasn't it… and Crowe was… well, spectacular! Sooo many quotable lines from that movie that I still use today.

    Oh I LOVE Venice too… such an incandescently beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH, Venice was EVERYTHING!

      I think I quote Gladiator at least once a week...for real.

      Delete
  3. Well the start was a bit... dark, but I love how you're still able to smile ^^ You always seem so free-spirited and almost child like to me, and in a good way xD btw, I know a place you could post your awards images for a wider audience :3 http://www.deviantart.com It's sorta like YouTube for the art world haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to embrace my inner child at all times.

      Delete
  4. Scar-Jo 3:16!!! She should have some Oscars right now. I thought about seeing the remake of The Magnificent Seven but given the report at Toronto... I'll just stay home and continue my theater-film watching drought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want ScarJo to be an Oscar winner SO BADLY!

      Delete
  5. Love these answers. The bit about watching Disney flicks with the kids is my fave. That's great stuff. Have to be honest, though. Kinda disappointed the most underseen movie you love isn't Mommy. I don't know anyone who isn't a blogger or a critic who has actually seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, love that I'm getting dragged for the lack of Mommy! I just always think of Family Stone when I think of films I love that others dismiss...but I guess that wasn't really the question.

      I MISUNDERSTOOD THE ASSIGNMENT!!!

      Delete
  6. I do miss you and love your Fisti awards and anything else you blog but you need to take the time for you, your family and whatever else and we all understand and we will be here:) I'm so glad you were nominated and answered these so quickly. I knew Mommy would be there and Gladiator too which are so great. Mommy has stuck with me and is brilliant and loved your posts on this film. I am thinking of Alfrd Hitchcock, Edward G Robinson, Cary Grant, Maureen O'Hara, Barbara Stanwyck, Deborah Kerr...there are so many. Deborah Kerr in Black Narcissus is amazing and so is Maureen O'Hara in The Quiet Man. Love Cary Grant in Arsenic and Old Lace. Anyway love your answers and just keep hugging your kids:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss being a major part of this community, but I still feel so very close to all of you and I read your blogs all the time.

      I hug them every chance I get.

      Delete
  7. "Scarlett Johansson in Match Point for all the boners."

    LOL

    I'm glad you did this, I miss seeing you in my blogroll and on Twitter so much.

    Like Dell, I'm surprised "Mommy" or "Tom At the Farm" wasn't your underseen one. I still haven't seen Tom.

    I haven't seen the original Magnificent Seven, and I'll probably watch the remake...because I suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to fight myself not to put Mommy everywhere, so I tried to think outside my Dolan box a bit.

      A bit.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on the nom. Enjoyed reading both set of answers.

    As far as the actress who should have won an Oscar but didn't I'd say Barbara Stanwyck would be the number one miss.

    The most egregious loss would be Judy Garland for A Star is Born-especially against that blah performance of Grace Kelly's in The Country Girl, if she had at least won for her far superior work in Rear Window the cut wouldn't be so deep though Judy still should have won.

    But I'd say the most surprising person is Natalie Wood because of her narrative. If ever someone was a beloved child of Hollywood who came up empty handed it was her. Judy Garland fits that description too but by the time she started winning nominations she was labeled trouble-at the time a kiss of death. Natalie entered films at three and was in her own words a utility actress playing spunky kids wherever needed until Rebel Without a Cause. I think it was too early for her then but her loss for Splendor in the Grass, I know you're not fond of the performance-I am-but I think it was her best shot, is the real head scratcher.

    She had SO many of the elements working for her-beloved veteran, team player-she had agreed to appearing in a bland girlfriend role in Cash McCall to get Splendor, current IT girl, high profile marriage and breakup followed by another high profile romance with Warren Beatty leading to tons of coverage, popularity with both the Hollywood old guard and the new upcoming crowd and in West Side Story a gigantic follow-up hit to her previous success. Any one of those things could have conceivably turned the trick all of them together should have made her a slam dunk. Sophia Loren is phenomenal in Two Women but she must have played her cards exactly right to beat Natalie at that moment especially in a foreign language film. It's puzzling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stanwyck HURTS for sure. Like, she just feels like an Oscar winning actress, and so it's so shocking she never won.

      Wood should have had a Jennifer Lawrence career...so her lack of Oscar is odd.

      Delete
  9. I figured you'd have Joel Edgerton play you in a movie. I'd get a front row seat for that one.

    Also, even though the film will likely be popcorn fare, I'll still go see The Magnificent Seven. I get to watch Chris Pratt be charming and sexy for a few hours and also..it's got diversity!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be front row for Edgerton in this role too...because I know what he'd have to do...and I'd watch that :-P

      Delete
  10. Drew, I just wanna say that I wish you the very best for your future and hope you get the absolute best out of life in the coming times.
    Ever since I've started blogging you and your site have been my biggest inspirations to not only improve my tastes in film but also interms of improving my site, my writing and how I approach reviewing films. I still revisit a lot of your reviews from 2013, 14 and 15, when I'm struggling to write well because I just haven't seen a blog or website that has approached reviewing films so naturally. So thank you for that and I do hope that things get better for you and you get to post here on a regular basis in the near future.
    Take care and stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, all your answers rock!

      Delete
    2. You are TOO kind, Khalid. I'm so happy that my blog and my reviews have inspired you. Things are getting better, for sure, and I have bloggers like you to thank for that!

      Delete
  11. Loved ur answers! And La La Land is probably taking Best Picture this year unless we gonna get the reprise of OscarsSoWhite nonsense but with Parker mess hopefully it won't happen. Miles playing you? Don't be so hard on yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think La La Land will win in a walk, at this point. The reviews are one thing, but it's the response that is telling...people are IN LOVE with it.

      Delete
  12. Love Daniel's dedication! And this is an awesome post. I almost wish I were a guy so I could use the phrase "for all the boners." :-P

    BTW, I linked to you here: http://stepheclecticscribe.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-erratic-blogger-pokes-her-head-out.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you could totally still use it, with a slight modification.

      "for all the lady boners"

      It still works!

      Delete
  13. Love this post! Thrilled to support this blog, and thanks so much for thinking of me. I wish we were both more present in the blogosphere these days, but it's great to see a new post from you here and there, buddy.

    Really, though, who DOESN'T want Joel Edgerton to play them in a movie? ;)

    Co-signed on The Family Stone. It's such a lovely film. Been a big fan of that one since it first came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the best, bud!

      Joel Edgerton...I just NEED this year to be his Oscar breakout. I NEED IT IN MY BONES!!!

      Delete