Thursday, August 11, 2016

Fisti Best Picture Predictions for 2016

I don't normally do this, but I'm bored and with each new trailer released I find myself wanting to talk more and more about what I perceive I'll think to be the best films of the year...so, I've compiled the five films I think have the greatest chance of landing on my personal Fisti Best Picture ballot.

And here's why:


It's Only the End of the World ~ Xavier Dolan

Why?  It's f*cking Xavier Dolan and we all know my allegiance to him.  The reviews out of Cannes were...hard to read, but the jury fawned over his film (Grand Jury Prize) and Dolan's films just speak to me in ways that make me not care what anyone else has to say about it.  In fact, half the harsh reviews called out things as faults that, on paper, sounded like total pluses to me.  Besides, this cast...like, MY GOD YES!!!


La La Land ~ Damien Chazelle

Why?  I wasn't as taken with Whiplash as everyone else, but Chazelle's style was so prominent that you can't help but admit the talent there, and this looks like a delicious throwback to the years of Hollywood glitz, glam and MUSIC and you know how much I ADORE that.  Charm to spare, this looks like a visual and emotional masterpiece!


The Lobster ~ Yorgos Lanthimos

Why?  I haven't seen this yet (I know, I know) but everything I read about it has me so intrigued.  I love the idea of something so bizarre being so engaging, and Lanthimos has impressed me before.  It has the feeling of an quirky indie and yet it looks so mature, and I'm drooling all over this cast.


Moonlight ~ Barry Jenkins

Why?  This looks like it could be that one movie that just ruins me from an emotionally mature perspective (i.e. Carol).  Early word is that this is a masterpiece of modern cinema, and the story is certainly ripe to be one of those films that hits home and stays there.  Stories like this deserve to look and feel this rich and honest.


The Red Turtle ~ Michael Dudok de Wit

Why?  Um, this should be self explanatory.  It's an SILENT, ANIMATED film about the MAGIC of FAMILY...queue all the tears I have left in my eyes for the rest of eternity.  Given my current circumstances, I probably shouldn't see this in public with anyone else, and yet my eldest daughter has already said she wants to see this with me so...she will see her father a puddle, I assure you.  Word out of Cannes was that this is, without question, a masterpiece and will emotionally ruin me.

What else?  Two films have my attention and I speculate could make a play here as well, one being Loving and the other being Scorsese's passion project, Silence (if that does get released this year).  I'm also hopeful for Manchester By the Sea, and as much as I hate much of his filmography, Arrival looks really intriguing to me.

This is obviously just a broad guess based on synopsis, trailer, components, cast, directors and my personal feelings towards the projects, but who knows...this very well could be what my ballot looks like come this time next year when the Fisti Awards are complete.

30 comments:

  1. It's Only the End of the World I'm sure will win Best Fisti. I've got $2 on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take that action. I haven't heard of The Red Turtle or Moonlight, but The Lobster is holding strong as my favorite of the year so far. La La Land. I can't fucking wait!

      Delete
    2. Dolan certainly has a great track record with the Fistis...you may very well earn that $2!

      Delete
    3. Kev, I know you're a fan of The Lobster...your review has my appetite all sorts of whet!!!

      Delete
  2. I know you'll love It's Only The End of the World no matter what.

    The Lobster is great. As far as weird goes, I preferred Swiss Army Man, but both are excellent films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I'm a worshiper at the temple Dolan, for sure, but I've noted his flaws...hehe...but you're probably right ;-)

      I need to see Swiss Army Man!

      Delete
  3. Andy, the day you DON'T like a Dolan film is the day we break out the vegetable strainer hats and lock ourselves in the nuclear holocaust bunker. Lol. But seriously, I dunno why but to me this year doesn't feel as... epic? As last year for some reason, like the movies don't have the same caliber I guess. Granted all these movies look awesome just not as ambitious to me. (La La Land does look amaz-balls tho :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I HAVE pointed out his flaws before. I'm not some crazy fanboy (although, I AM a fan)...but...I'll probably love the hell out of this.

      La La Land gives me goosebumps every time I think about it.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen any of these (and only the trailers for The Lobster and La-La-Land), but I'm 900% intrigued by all these picks, especially the last one.

    But I probably won't be able to handle it, huh? Dammit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Red Turtle will most likely ruin us all, my brother.

      Delete
  5. Haven't seen any of these, but I will probably see them all, at some point. Looking most forward to the Dolan flick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah...Dolan...I just don't have the words to properly express my anticipation of that film.

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to see how your Best Picture lineup pans out. But what about Nocturnal Animals by Tom Ford? I remember when that film was announced, you seemed pretty excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm super excited for Nocturnal Animals...but also super nervous about it. From what I read...it could very easily get screwed up...so I'm...tepidly excited, if that makes sense.

      Delete
    2. Nah, that makes sense. I think the plot looks interesting. I'm hoping that if it delivers, Jake Gyllenhaal can land his overdue second nomination. Both male acting categories are looking very sparse. So who knows?

      Delete
    3. I'm all for Gyllenhaal getting another nom!

      Delete
  7. OMG...I hadn't seen the Moonlight trailer. It looks AMAZING! Stoked about that one now, and I'm already looking forward to the rest of these. (I might watch The Lobster this week.)

    I have a pretty bad track record when it comes to predicting my BP lineups. I had A Bigger Splash, It’s Only the End of the World, Knight of Cups, La La Land, and Manchester by the Sea making it, and I already know KOC is missing. And Moonlight, The Lobster, The Red Turtle, Silence, and Loving look very promising as well. Eager to see how your lineup turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt so many things when watching the Moonlight trailer...SO MANY THINGS!

      I probably would have botched the hell out of this had I predicted it a few months ago. Like, The Red Turtle wasn't even on my radar until Cannes, and Moonlight wasn't there until last week...I would have probably still had the Dolan, because, well, duh, but after that I have no idea.

      Silence? La La Land, most likely...and then...Loving? Birth of a Nation (which I'm actually really excited about)?

      I want to know more about Manchester By the Sea.

      Delete
  8. I thought The Lobster as interesting as it was flat lined and the movie lost me in one specific scene. That said I know many bloggers went nuts for it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I've read some divisive comments about The Lobster, but it looks SO up my ally, so I'm excited.

      Delete
  9. I wasn't a fan of The Lobster, although it is a well-crafted film. It might just be TOO pretentious for the academy. Who knows though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the Academy will most likely ignore it completely (unless they toss it a surprise Screenplay nom), but the Fistis may be all about it!

      Delete
  10. You should see The Lobster!! It's very bizarre and tough to watch at times but it's certainly one of the most unique films I've seen in ages. Great performances all around too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to getting on that!

      Delete
  11. The Lobster is totally brilliant. Easily the best of the year so far. That trailer for Moonlight is STUNNING. AS is the one for La La Land (you know how I feel about that one... <3). I'm also all in for Allied based on the trailer that just came out (Pitt and Cotillard at the movie starriest in a WWII espionage drama?!? YES, PLEASE!!!!), and the just-debuted trailer for Villeneuve's Arrival looks like it could be the next great thinking person's sci-fi film (I am getting Contact vibes - in a good way). Also, Isabelle Huppert in ELLE.

    ALSO ALSO: If you can't find a theater near you playing The Little Prince, then watch it with your kids on Netflix right now. On second thought, actually, don't watch it with your kids. Unless you're okay with letting them see you cry LOL. I was a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...already made that Little Prince mistake and bawled like a BABY! Such a beautifully woven adaptation. It was also a great conversation starter between me and the girls, so I liked that.

      Delete
    2. There was this one kid in my screening in NYC who applauded after each and every single one of the book sequences. It made me smile so much.

      Delete
    3. Awww, love that! The look of those scenes was pure magic...and the way they formed every scene out of paper is inspiring.

      Delete
  12. The Lobster is a very strange film, but very interesting. Got me thinking though, if I could any animal it would be a meerkat.

    ReplyDelete