Friday, March 11, 2016

Now you see me, now you…


When I saw the preview for Ant-Man, my initial thought was, “Why?”.  It just looked so…silly.  Ant-Man, to me, looked like a story that was better suited for the CW, a story that could be better told as a teen-centered television series or, possibly more accurately, as a kid’s Saturday Morning Cartoon.  So, I avoided it.  Some bloggers saw it and loved it or at least really liked it and yet I couldn’t bring myself to care enough to shell out the money to see it on the big screen.

But I have kids and to them this looked amazing and we found ourselves snuggled in the bed (well, they were in the bed with my wife while I sat…on the floor) watching this as a family.

It was pretty cool.



Color me surprised that all the ‘silly’ aspects of this film actually work themselves into the fabric in such a way that it never feels hokey.  Marvel has always had a sense of humor that is often worked into their films, not always for the better, and so it’s expected that this is going to have some sort of sarcastic bite, but here it actually works.  This is due in large part to the fact that Paul Rudd sells his character and this premise with an effortlessness that defies genre.  He’s just such a natural performer.  He makes this all seem remotely believable because of that.  In fact, the entire cast mostly works here.  Stoll is a little over the top, but Pena, Douglas and Lilly anchor the film well, and Mackie’s cameo moment is priceless.

I think a lot of my enjoyment comes from the fact that I am not familiar with the superhero.  I never got into Ant-Man as a kid and so other than knowing he existed, I didn’t know anything about him.  This adaptation is not the original story, as my daughter pointed out.  Apparently she read a book on Ant-Man…go figure…and so she made me aware a few minutes in that Scott Lang is NOT Ant-Man.  I don’t care, really, but any Ant-Man enthusiasts (are there any Ant-Man enthusiasts?) might take issue with this.


You know what you won’t take issue with?  A giant Thomas Train busting through a house and an oversized ant chasing police and that whole bedroom battle at the film’s closing because it’s pretty epic and clever and just a whole lot of awesome!  The effects here (visual and aural) are really top notch and go a long way to making Ant-Man feel like a legit superhero movie and not some sort of parody. 


It’s funny, charming, cute and exciting when it counts, and that all counts for something.


That being said, I don’t feel like I missed anything waiting to see this on the small-screen.

18 comments:

  1. I thought exactly the same as you before I saw Ant-Man! In fact, it's only because all my friends were going to the cinema that I saw it on the big screen. I was really pleasantly surprised too, and I did the same thing with Guardians of the Galaxy.
    What are your thoughts on the upcoming Doctor Strange?
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued by Dr. Strange, but I'll admit to not knowing a lot about it.

      Delete
  2. I loved this movie and not only do I think Paul Rudd was great, but I want to see him in more Marvel movies in the future. More Rudd, less Downey!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I saw this on the big screen. (even though I sat next to the most annoying movie goers ever) I was going to wait for the DVD as well, but then I saw The Falcon in some TV spots, so I made the jump. Michael Pena was my favorite part of this. I could listen to his "I know a guy.." stories all day. I'm glad you liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pissed off over the lack of career Michael Pena has. Like, he's so charismatic and so genuine and so easy...he should have broken out in a HUGE way after Crash (considering that he delivers, quite easily, the best performance in the film) but he's sidelined to supporting roles that require him to do nothing but tell a few jokes.

      #HollywoodSoWhite

      Delete
  4. I wasn't particularly interested in this but my buddy was it, was his turn to choose the film and we had passes so I ended up seeing it in the theatre and was pleasantly surprised.

    Like you I had zero idea of the Ant-Man story aside from knowing he was a superhero character but my friend did. He mentioned a couple of things but overall he thought it was a good take on it. The effects were very cool but what really made it work for me was Paul Rudd. He didn't wink at the camera like he was in on the game, reacting like it was all new to him as it happened.

    The only thing that annoyed me was that awful wig on Evangeline Lilly. She's a pretty girl so why were they determined to make her look as bad as possible by picking the most unbecoming hairstyle they could find?

    It was a decent movie but I can't see watching it again anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll never watch this again either :-P

      But, for what it was...it was good.

      Delete
    2. I don't think it was a wig :)

      Delete
    3. LOL, I don't think so either.

      Delete
  5. You are the next one to say this was quite good because how you felt, initially about the film, is how I feel. I should give this a try because the scene with Thomas the Train is funny:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it. It's, above all else, wholly enjoyable.

      Delete
  6. I really liked it so much because it was such a bizarre movie for Marvel - even the only cameo they got was from relatively unknown Avenger and that was awesome because the film was much smaller in scale than those overlong, overstuffed boring Marvel films that were coming lately that are mostly concerned with easter eggs and world building. The film also had such a sweet story about fathers and daughters and Rudd was so charming and well suited for the role here. But for me Douglas stole the show - there was so much heart in his performance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard others note Douglas as the standout, too.

      And yes to everything you said about this not feeling overstuffed or overlong like some other...Marvel films. This was such a brisk and fun ride.

      Delete
  7. It's coming on Starz! later this month or early next month as I hope to see this before Captain America: Civil War though it still pains me into what could've been under the direction of Edgar Wright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get a chance to check it out?

      Delete
  8. I wasn't familiar with Ant-Man either, but I enjoyed it. Though, I doubt I'll ever revisit it.

    ReplyDelete