Saturday, February 27, 2016

Oscar Winner Predictions


It's finally that time.  The Oscars are tomorrow and everyone is getting their predictions in order for what they think is going to go down.  Of course, I have my predictions as well, and so here they are.  This has been one of those amazingly crazy years where nothing that made sense actually happened.  Movies that are almost anti-bait wound up making giant leaps towards Oscar, many categories became so fluid that a winner is almost a gamble of a prediction and so much bait we thought was locked became...ousted.

Tomorrow, quite frankly, anything could happen.

But, for what it's worth, this is what I think will happen:


Best Picture
The Revenant

Director
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu

Film Editing
The Big Short

Adapted Screenplay
The Big Short

Original Screenplay
Spotlight

Lead Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio

Lead Actress
Brie Larson

Supporting Actor
Sylvester Stalone

Supporting Actress
Kate Winslet

Art Direcion/Production Design
Mad Max: Fury Road

Cinematography
The Revenant

Costume Design
Carol

Makeup
Mad Max: Fury Road

Visual Effects
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Sound Editing
The Revenant

Sound Mixing
The Revenant

Original Score
Ennio Morricone

Original Song
Earned It

Documentary
Cartel Land

Foreign Film
Son of Saul

Animated Film
Inside Out

Short Film, Live Action
Shok


Short Film, Animated

World of Tomorrow

Short Film, Documentary
Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah

12 comments:

  1. We differ on a lot of the technical awards, but I'm always shit at guessing these so you're probably right. I still hope Sicario takes best cinematography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you did better, since Mad Max KILLED my tech predictions.

      Delete
  2. I'm so behind this year and haven't seen many of the nominees that I'm rather disconnected from the outcome.

    All the ridiculous caterwauling and attempts to politicize something that is merely a big time prize giveaway followed by the producers idiotic decision to cut selected song nominees when tempers were already high has cooled my interest even more. But if I'm sure of anything it's that DiCaprio is walking away tomorrow night as an Oscar winner.

    I'll still watch, if only to see Charlotte Rampling and Tom Hardy all gussied up, but it might be via DVR with a heavy hand of the fast forward button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, as much as the whole thing is ridiculous...I can't help but want to watch it every single year.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love that you're predicting Earned It and Cartel Land for upsets. And I'm pleasantly surprised that you're also gambling on Carol winning Costume Design. I just feel like Fury Road won't happen, and Carol seems like the "obvious" choice. Winslet could totally happen, but I'm not convinced. Good luck, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my Wild Card picks blew up in my face...and then all my Safe Picks blew up in my face when Oscar decided to Wild Card those categories!!!

      Delete
  4. I just hope it's Winslet and not that robot Vikander

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's soon time where many people thank God for a little golden statue:) I think The Revenant will be the winner in many areas. I think Brie will win and I am looking forward to this. the supporting nods are the ones I am not sure about. I hope the song from Spectre doesn't win...blechh. I just bought an I Pad and now I don't know how to download pics onto my blog because the browse button isn't there. I have my own list to pick... Best and worst dressed(obviously),best acceptance speech and worst. who do you want to punch in the face. who is on the most drugs. who bores you tears. I must know:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your worst fear came to life in the form of Sam Smith winning an Oscar!

      Delete
  6. I cant believe Inarritu will have 5 Oscars after tomorrow. That's more than Woody Allen, as much as Coppola. He's going to be the first guy to win Best Director twice since..god knows how long. But I do think he deserves it. I loved The Revenant so I'll actually be happy if it cleans house tonight, unlike many people.

    I think Vikander will steal Best Supporting Actress although she doesnt deserve it and we differ on the technical categories but apart from that agree on pretty much all the picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welp, he only has 4...but they are 4 deserved Oscars so I'm really happy for him!

      Delete