Monday, February 8, 2016

A Fistful of Thoughts...about doubling up, moving on and kicking the bucket!


Happy Monday everyone!  Hope everyone had a great weekend.  It's time for A Fistful of Thoughts, which I'm shamefully throwing together this morning.  This weekend has been BUSY, and no, it's not because of a certain football game that I didn't bother to watch.

Who won?

I'm not really interested, to be honest.  You know what I did last night...I watched Indiscreet, a little rom/com gem from the 50's starring two of my favorites, Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant.  I think I made out all right.

But that's not what we're here to talk about.


So, first up is the fact that Alejandro G. Iñárritu won DGA over the weekend and I couldn't be more thrilled!  I've yet to see Spotlight (almost watched that instead of Indiscreet last night, but I'll be seeing it this evening instead) but of the four nominees I have seen, AGI was quite easily the best.  I know that Miller has legions of fans, but I'm in camp AGI this year.  When you think about it, AGI makes a lot of sense as a winner this year.  Mad Max has gotten tons of exposure and has sustained itself all year as an Oscar contender, but at the end of the day it is not an Oscar film.  The Revenant is a film that gives Oscar voters an out, almost.  It could be their way of rewarding a film deemed edgy and progressive while still being...Oscary.  

This year is truly all over the place, though.  The Big Short takes PGA, Spotlight takes BFCA and SAG, The Revenant takes DGA and The Globe (and I predict BAFTA as well).  I LOVE THIS!  The fact that AGI took DGA is a big deal, considering that he is the first director to ever win back to back DGA awards.  It has never happened before.  He made history.

I think the Oscar is his, even if the film loses BP.

Moving from AGI to his buddy, Cuaron, let's talk Zorro.  Ok, so LEGEND Alfonso isn't the Cuaron in question, but his son Jonas is, but whatever, let's still talk about this.  Apparently, Jonas is writing and directing a futuristic Zorro film.  Originally this was set to be some sort of post-apocalyptic version of Zorro, which sounds strange and yet intriguing...but now it's merely 'near future' which feels so, dull and uninspired.  Still, it's a Cuaron, and if he's anything like his dear ol' dad, it'll be worth seeing.


Now can his dad finally make another movie!

Speaking of making another movie, we can all rejoice that the revelation known as Adèle Exarchopoulos is making another movie, this time with Matthias Schoenaerts.  Talk about one hot pairing.  Schoenaerts is a gangster, Exarchopoulos is a race car driver, they fall in love, I'm sure there's some sort of tragedy, I'm hoping there's some sort of sex.


I'm drooling.

So, I've stated a few times that I'm a fan of Danish director Susanne Bier.  Apparently I'm in a minority of sorts because I'm always baffled to hear people talking negatively about her work.  Granted, I haven't seen all of her stuff, but her work during the aughts was pretty stellar and it solidified her as someone I seek out.  I haven't seen Serena.  Apparently it's a mess and even she thinks so.  Great news is that she recently wrapped up a television series based on a John Le Carré novel, and I'm all in for that!  I've been ingesting a lot of television lately (thank you Netflix & Hulu for allowing the binge watching) and I can't wait to see how this all pans out for her.

Lastly, did you hear about the Italian actor who died during a theater hanging scene?  This is so sad and so strange.  Apparently it was a member in the audience, a medical graduate, who noticed that the actor was literally strangling to death on the stage.  

Tragic.

So that's what I got...

What about you?
Mario reviews The Revenant
Jeffery listens to Little Bird
Ruth reviews Pride & Prejudice & Zombies
Khalid reviews Knight of Cups
Matt talks the luminous Gugu Mbatha-Raw
Britt reviews Spy
Big Screen Small Words reviews 45 Years
Alex talks the cinematography of Edward Lachman
Anna talks Xavier Dolan for the O Canada Blogathon
Chris breaks down the best female sung songs of the 80's
Matt reviews Mustang
Keith looks as some images from Mad Max: Fury Road

26 comments:

  1. Thanks for the linkage! (Hmm, now I know what to do in order to get some more attention...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you did a whole post on the Jungle Book teaser... did you see the full trailer yet? I cannot stop watching, looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! I'm skeptical and yet totally on board at the same time!

      Delete
  3. Whoa, that last tidbit is crazy awful. Yikes.

    Thanks for the link, duder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's super tragic.

      You're always welcome, my friend!

      Delete
  4. Oooh I just read about that Italian actor, how tragic!! THANKS so much for the link, I'm still high about bad ass Darcy, ahah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrible world we live in, unfortunately.

      Delete
  5. I like Susanne Bier's work although like you I didn't bother with the poorly received Serena. I did see A Second Chance (2014) which was not one of her best. I might check out the tv series she directed. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard mixed things about A Second Chance as well. I'm kind of thinking I should stick to her foreign work.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the link my friend. No problem with AGI winning. I really want you to see Spotlight. Still my favorite film from last year but The Revenant and Mad Max are nipping at its heels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw Spotlight the other night, and it's such a powerful work! I would have no qualms with it winning, even if I think The Revenant is a better film all around.

      Delete
  7. Well I'm here to talk about Indiscreet. Love that movie!! It provides Ingrid and Cary a chance at a light souffle after the heavy going of Notorious and shows their chemistry is just as strong in that genre. It really doesn't require anything more of them than the chance to shine at their movie star brightest and they oblige. Ingrid in particular is radiant, naturally mature and real. Her wardrobe (and matching jewels!) are gorgeous and Cary's innate tanned suavity the perfect compliment. It also gave Cecil Parker and Phyllis Calvert, both performers noted more for their dramatic work than comedy an opportunity to cut loose. They provide a wonderful portrait of a long married couple who obviously love each other but that doesn't stop them from driving the other a bit nuts. Indeed the entire supporting cast couldn't be better. And it's all so beautifully produced, I miss that rich look in modern film where the tendency is toward making everything look "real". I'm not against that but sometimes a body wants the shiny.

    I had seen a small blurb mentioning the passing of Raphael Schumacher. Since I didn't recognize the name and last month was such a vale of tears in the entertainment industry with so many notable deaths I skipped over it and didn't read further. Reading the article it sounds like an episode of Murder, She Wrote although tragically real. Such a waste of a young life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YASSSS! I just posted my '58 Fistis, and Bergman snagged a nom for her work in Indiscreet. Beautifully well rounded performance.

      Love your note about the 'shininess' of the production. I do pine for the glamour of Old Hollywood quite often.

      Delete
  8. OK I pushed some buttons and ended up on some other site so here I go again...I saw the Revenant and thought it is excellent-Leo is a shoo-in. I also saw Star Wars and it's OK but I was never a Star Wars freak. I do like the 2 young heroes. I don;t care 2 hoots about sports so my hubby and I watched Downton Abbey which we love. I still have to see Indiscreet! I did not know about this actor's death but-yikes! What a way to go-all in front of an audience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all over Leo's win...like...so happy for him!

      And I love Downton Abbey too!!!

      Delete
  9. I heard about Matthias and Adele doing that movie together. Such a sexy pairing! I'm especially glad that Matthias, aka the Belgian Brando as I like to call him, keeps getting work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jonas Cuaron doing Zorro? ORALE VATO!!!!

    Mathias Schoenaerts and Lea Seydoux..... OUI OUI!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A post-apocalyptic Zorro? Okay, makes sense. A near future Zorro? Not so much.

    I'm interested in another movie you mentioned, but the gif you used kinda depresses me. It reminds me we still haven't gotten that Blue is the Warmest Color sequel, yet. Sigh.

    And that dude dying onstage? Wow. Just wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...the choice to make it 'near future' feels so...dumb and pointless.

      You want a Blue is the Warmest Colour sequel?

      Delete
  12. Serena is fucking GARBAGE. I couldn't even finish it. But as you know, I loved In A Better World and I'd like to see more of her filmography. I noticed she has a lot of critics as well.

    Sign me up for any film involving Adele Exarchopoulos and Matthias Schoenaerts.

    I'm okay with AGI winning too, but I still want Spotlight to take Best Picture at the Oscars. It's so good.

    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Point noted...I'll avoid that mess.

      See Brothers and After the Wedding ASAP!

      Delete
  13. Happy for AGI. He was moved to tears in his DGA acceptance speech. I wish that film hadn't received so much hate online.

    The Zorro movie sounds interesting, if totally unnecessary.

    Exarchopoulos and Schoenaerts?? Sign me up!

    Hoping for more great things from Bier. Serena is one of the worst films I saw last year, but it's not Razzie-worthy or anything.

    OMG! The news about that actor is terrible! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'll never get The Revenant hate...at all...but alas, people need to complain about EVERYTHING :-P

      Delete