Monday, February 15, 2016

A Fistful of Thoughts...about 'catty' celebrities, fake-a** thank yous and more awards for black people!


Last week was...busy.  I feel like I'm saying that every Monday, but good god, I'm tired.  Last week was also kind of epic with news, between surprising film adaptation news, grand Broadway news, biting gossip and more #OscarsSoWhite.  I have to cut out some since I try and focus on a mere 'fistful' of topics, but some are sort of interrelated, so let's have at it!


Have any of you seen Cats?  I saw it late last year, and while it's a fun as hell little musical, it's also, (how do I put this?), stupid as hell.  It just doesn't make a lick of sense and comes off as spacey (lol) and downright ridiculous, but as a stage production it kind of works.  My kids were fascinated, and I have to say, I enjoyed it start to finish.

But as a narrative film?

Reports are that Tom Hooper of all people is taking the reins on bringing Cats to the big-screen.  I'm tepidly enthusiastic about this.  I mean, it's bound to be a hot mess (and it's bound to star Redmayne), but it has such rich potential to be tacky deliciousness.  How will Hooper direct this?  Will he amp up the ridiculousness and embrace the story (what story?) for what it really is...or will he (God forbid) try and make this some sort of dire message piece that completely strips the production of the only thing that makes it work?


I'm scared, people.

You know what I'm not scared about?  Frozen on Broadway!  I've been waiting for confirmation and dates on this for, like, what feels like decades!  LOL, I'm so there.  I'll be flying the whole family to New York for this for opening weekend, for sure!  

So, have you heard Kanye's new track, Famous?  I've tried to find it online all morning with no success, but I can't stop reading about how Taylor Swift and her squad are furious with the fact that he name drops Swift in the most unfavorable light.  I'm so over this slut shaming culture, to be honest.  I feel like we keep screaming "equal rights for women" and trying to sway the conversation in the right direction, with spotlight shone on women working within industries unfairly dominated by men, and then the minute a woman actually becomes successful, we slut shame them because we either don't like their personality or we don't like their work.  Do we have to actually insinuate they are actual 'whores' just to demean them?  Why is this how we respond to something we don't like?  Why must we say things like "_________ is a fucking bitch" or "__________ is a slut"?  Kanye's line about how he could sleep with Taylor because he made her famous is a disgusting insinuation of someone he supposedly gets along with.  He even asked her to tweet his new track to her fans.  To suggest that a woman in the industry OWES him sex because he humiliated her into popularity is such a shameful and backwards comment...besides the fact that she was pretty famous BEFORE he 'made her'.


End rant.

Calling out someone for being a 'slut'...not cool.  Calling out someone for possible Botox injections...kind of hilarious.  I mean, Cuba Gooding Jr. doesn't really have a career to kill, at this point, but his recent (possibly drunken) admission to seeing Tom Cruise with his face prepped for injections is giving me life right now.  I feel like every year Tom Cruise only gets younger, and the questions have  been raised as to 'how' this is happening many times, but this couldn't have been handed to us on a funnier platter, to be honest. 

Did you hear about the new Oscar trick they're going to start implementing during 'thank you' speeches?  Apparently, they want to shy away from a list of names in these acceptance speeches (I mean, you only have so many seconds) and so they are going to work in a scroll of names the actor/actress/whoever wants to thank as members of the film who  helped him/her while they take their time to say whatever it is they want to say on the podium.  

This could be an epic disaster of an idea.  I mean, you forget someone now and you can chuck it up to feeling overwhelmed and rushed on stage, but if you hand in a list of names that you prepared at home and STILL forget someone...

So, while basics like K. Michelle (who?) are trying to say that Adele owes her success to her whiteness and not her talent, Russell Simmons is hosting his own awards show specifically to honor black films/actors/whatever.  Are we serious with this?  I mean, we already have the Image awards and BET awards and AAFCA and they are, mostly, serious awards to highlight the works of minorities (I say mostly only because some of their nominees are...sketchy) but now we have Simmons attempting to 'shame' the Academy by starting his own awards (to air a few days before the Oscars) and what makes this whole thing somewhat ridiculous is that he's almost shaming the actual message behind #OscarsSoWhite by including categories like 'Best Bad Muh F*cka', 'Most Helpful White Person' and 'Best Black Survivor'.  Are you kidding me?  MTV would sneer their noses at categories like that.  I don't see how this progresses the conversation in a positive way at all.  It also doesn't help that the BP ballot here only highlights the REAL problem we've all been talking about.  Diversity is an issue in HOLLYWOOD first and foremost.  I mean, your BP ballot includes Concussion, a film that critics kind of hated, and Chi-Raq (what kind of mess!) and the same three films everyone else has mentioned already.


This show feels disingenuous. 

Alright, I'm done for today.

What about you?
Katie compares The Shop Around the Corner with You've Got Mail
Allie & Jenna review the beautiful Brooklyn
Flick Chick reviews The Return
Ruth (and her friend Cindy) talks about one of her favorite things, British period pieces!
Steven reviews Cabaret!
Britt talks about that pigeon movie I couldn't finish watching...
Getter talks about her favorite relationships from books, movies & TV
Mario completed my life by forcing me to watch Chi-Raq (more on that at a later date)
Dell gets all romantic talking movies he and his wife watch together
Claire reviews White God
Kevin reviews Hail, Caesar!
Sati gushes all over Ford in Witness

38 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link-love.

    A musical of Cats by Tom Hooper.....? No thanks.

    I didn't see this thing with Kanye and honestly, I don't want to. I really hate that guy. Plus, I think one of his old collaborators is right. He's got some serious mental issues and I think we're watching someone having a mental breakdown in public. It's those fucking Kartrashians. They're leeches and the lowest form of scum.

    As for Taylor Swift, fuck that bitch too. She and her ho squad are nothing more than a bunch of phonies who need to stay at home and make me dinner.

    Tom Cruise, I know why he stays young. Xenu.

    OK, I don't favor the idea of violence against women but.... I'm going have to make an exception with K. Michelle ho for being a fucking idiot. Especially as she is someone that is famous for being in a bullshit reality show. For this, I think I'll download more Adele songs because I actually like her so suck it Michelle!!!!

    Russell Simmons, now there's an old fart that doesn't get it. He's just making his community look pathetic. Fuck this Oscars So White bullshit. Learn to make better films or stop using conspiracy as some excuse. Void don't play that shit!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you skipped over all of my comments on the Kanye/Swift debacle.

      :-P

      Delete
    2. I didn't. In fact, I don't like either of them. They're just a bunch of spoiled, entitled little bitches as one of them is in serious need of therapy while the other just needs to face the reality that she really is a slut.

      Delete
    3. Well, I'll agree with you that Kanye probably needs serious therapy.

      Delete
  2. I can't with that CGJ story :lol: I don't even entirely know who Kanye West is - I never heard any of his music and am only familiar with Rogen/Franco and South Park parodies of him but he sounds like a fucking idiot.

    Jesus Christ. Cats directed by Hopper? This will be the end. Fucking dutch angles anywhere and Redmayne meowing in a costume. I can't, I can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That CGJ story is amazing!

      You know that if Redmayne is indeed cast in Cats...he'll be gunning for Oscar so hard...I even know the role he'll be perfect for!

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rum_Tum_Tugger

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen the musical Cats, sounds like you enjoyed it although wasn't perfect. The only thing I know is it features the song Memory, which is pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memory is a beautiful moment in the show, and will make for a great cinematic moment if done right...but this could be very, very messy on the big screen.

      Delete
  4. I'm going to leave it to Emily Blunt to sum up my feelings on Kanye West:

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3-DdP3DGV88

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link, man. I don't have much to say on Kanye and the like. I have a blood pressure issue as it is. I'll tread lightly into Tom Hooper...no I won't...fuck that guy and fuck Cats. I saw Cats on stage as a kid. Most boring, pointless, draining 4 hours of my life. So, fucking spare me.

    I kind of like the Oscar speech idea. Could move the thing along and remove some awkward rushed yelling...

    Yeah. The Russell Simmons awards thing is stupid. Because another awards show is exactly what the world needs. If that's the priority of the wealthy/celebrated Black people in this country, then we know what one of the problems is. As for Chi-Raq, I saw it yesterday. I kind of really love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already tweeted you about Chi-Raq...but...well...

      Delete
  6. Kanye used to quietly annoy me but this latest Taylor Swift thing has really grinded my gears!
    I am SO EXCITED about the Frozen announcement? Is there room in your luggage for me?!
    And thank you for the link-love :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEK! Frozen on Broadway is going to be amazing! There's room, I'm sure! COME!

      Delete
  7. I don't think the Kanye-Swift stuff is really "slut shaming". It's more of a Kanye being an arrogant asshole thing. "Look how great I am, I MADE Taylor Swift!" Sigh. I actually love lots of his music, but this is ridiculous, especially to do that to someone he made amends with over his own previous rude and tactless actions. From what I understand, he claims to have made others on this same song, fwiw.

    I'm forever grateful for what Russell Simmons did in the 80s, but this misses the mark. By a lot. This can't be a real thing. You're pulling my leg, right?

    Cats by Tom Hooper? Does anyone besides Tom Hooper think this is a good idea?

    Know what is a good idea? That Redmayne gif.

    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...but he's saying that 'because he made her...he can sleep with her', which insinuates that she'd sleep her way to the top.

      He's gross, regardless.

      That Redmayne gif is marvelous, isn't it!

      Delete
  8. I saw Cats 4 times! Yup..The first time, back in the 80's and I paid fir that ticket. The other 3 times, I got a free ticket so, of course, I went. It is fun but there is no plot, it's just based on the different types of cats really. The music is good and so is the dancing, even Rum Tum Tugger. I am so sick of Kanye West-he's an asshole. As for the whole balck/white thing..I wish the black people would stop because they are alienating themselves by creating this type of crap. Yes, it is wrong what does happen but to combat it in this manner doesn't help one bit. I am sick and tired of all this griping and whining and I am so done with it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The musical is kind of a blast...but this is still an awful idea.

      Delete
  9. A movie version of Cats? Why? Reading that all I could think of was Six Degrees of Separation and the idea of a movie version of Cats being played for laughs. It worked because it's so absurd. Talking cats...just no. I've seen the show and ONCE was more than enough. Love the song Memory and that was the only highlight, I could not leave the theatre fast enough.

    I can't abide Cruise, even less now that I've seen Going Clear, but I can't say I'm shocked he does something to retain his looks nor really condemn him for it, he is in a look based business after all. Not acting...movie stardom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't hate Cats...I mean, I really enjoyed it...for what it is.

      What it isn't is a good idea for a feature film.

      Delete
  10. I didn't see Kanye's lyric as slut shaming. He's a delusional asshole, but Taylor Swift also comes off as someone who's likely full of shit. I almost believe him when he says Taylor gave him the idea for the lyric. Though I'm sure not the sex part, her fake feminism would make her against that.

    Yeah, I don't like Kanye or Taylor. lol

    "That pigeon movie I couldn't finish watching" lmao. I love you. Thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it was just the statement that the 'reason' he could sleep with her was that he made her famous insinuated that she would sleep around to get ahead...and that to me felt like 'slut shaming'.

      That being said, he's a delusional a**hole, I agree, so...

      Love you too, girl!

      Delete
  11. Oh Kayne is the ultimate troll. I try not to say his name out loud.

    The whole "slutty music star" thing piqued my interest when Miley and Robin Thicke performed together...and Miley received a horrific level of hate. It was vile. Mind you, I'm not a fan of either of these singers, but there was a distinct difference btw how Miley was treated versus Robin.

    This may be going too far down the rabbit hole, but when I saw 'Beyond the Lights' with Gugu (one of my favorite actresses) it made me think about the pressures these young starlets receive to show more skin, to look a certain way, to dance a certain way. And no offense to Beyonce, but she's reached a certain height in her career where she shouldn't have to dance around in underwear anymore--but she's still doing it too. Not that there's anything wrong with sex appeal, but it really should be more about the music...whereas for young female singers it's all about the sex appeal. You don't see men running around shirtless in their undies (besides Bieber--who doesn't really count).

    Speaking of that, I understand what K. Michelle is saying of blue-eyed soul to a certain extent. She of course said it in a very tasteless fashion. Perhaps if this was 50 to 60 years ago--she would have a point. Admittedly, the English singers have mimicked black music for decades now. There was a wonderful article about why English singers sound American--it's b/c of the huge influence of black doo wop and R&B from the 50s & 60s in England. It was a fascinating article. That said, imitation is the highest form of flattery. As an Anglophile, I think it's wonderful that black music has had a worldwide impact. So in 2016, K. Michelle's comments are inappropriate. Unlike the film industry, there have been a plethora of black music stars who have reached the pinnacle of success. Adele is where she is because she's a fantastic singer and songwriter. There are plenty of Adele's who have not made it yet.

    I think Simmons and others who are doing the "black people" awards shows are focusing on the wrong thing. As I noted in my post on diversity, it needs to begin further up the pipeline--in the film process itself.

    Oh Cuba. You should watch his recent tv work as OJ Simpson. He's really been fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a shame how female's in the industry are treated in general. There is far too much slut shaming going on everywhere.

      I agree on Beyond the Lights...I was thinking the same thing while watching that. It's no wonder that so many starlets lose it.

      I've been meaning to check out the OJ series. It looks interesting.

      Delete
    2. @Mariah – I LOVE Beyond the Lights, Gugu's performance is so beautiful & heartbreaking. It's sad how many female *artists* these days are known mostly for their skimpy outfits and sexy dance moves. That's why I love ppl like Adele who is known for her voice and her music. I'm so old school when it comes to music, I mean I'd rather LISTEN to the songs instead of watch their performance live or on music videos, it's rarely about the voice but who can be the sexiest, most vulgar, etc. It's so disheartening.

      Delete
    3. Sadly, you hit the nail on the head, Ruth.

      Delete
  12. Dude. I f--king loved this. So much deliciousness.

    But, in the sake of time...let me tell you something. Bring it in. Closer. Clooooser. Good.

    Frozen has taken over my house.

    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to personally buy your family front row tickets alongside mine for opening night! We can experience Frozen Fever together!!!

      Delete
  13. Hey thanks so much for the link!

    Cats musical on the big screen?? With Redmayne/Hooper combo again? Meh.

    I really don't give a hoot about Kanye, Kimnye, whathaveyou… there is a reason I don't pay attention to gossip type news, thought it's impossible to escape when you're on Twitter. I did read something about him being $35mil in debt?? I can't even fathom how one could even spend a fraction of that in such a short amount of time. In any case, the less I know about these *celebs* the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Redmayne isn't confirmed...but I can so see him signing on.

      I heard about his debt. RIDICULOUS.

      Delete
  14. Great rant! I just don't take Kanye seriously anymore...he has such a platform to spit out positive words and good vibes, but he misuses his power. He literally thinks he's on the same level as Stanley Kubrick. Dude is clearly out of touch with reality...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His arrogance is going to lead to his downfall, which is a shame because the man has serious talent and could really be the greatest...but pride will destroy him.

      Delete
  15. LOL, Frozen on Broadway sounds good, but Hooper making Cats? Yikes!

    Ugh, Kanye - wouldn't want to spend any time with him, apart from his music.

    Ha, that Cruise story is kind of brilliant.

    The Oscar acceptance speech thing is gross. Not everyone rattles off a million names anyways. We need more speeches like Joe Pesci's and Ben Johnson's.

    Yeah, at least those other awards have some merit. These new ones just seem trashy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so AIS for Frozen on Broadway.

      Admittedly...I'll be AIS for Hooper's Cats, too...even if for completely different reasons.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I'll be there for Cats...probably cringing, but I'll be there. ;)

      Delete
  16. Oh dear gad there's a film version of Cats on the way? I'm not a big fan of the musical, I think I just like the famous song in it, the one about standing alone in the moonlight. I think I must be the only person in the world not bold over by Les Miserables. My dad had promised to take me to see the musical on stage but years later still hadn't been so we saw the film together. My dad loved it but I thought it was just ok. I really wish I has seen it on stage instead. I really don't like Eddie Redmayne and Anne Hathaway. You're so right about the severe lack of story in cats too. I tried reading about it but nothing made sense.

    The OscarsSoWhite campagne has got to the embarrassingstage where this keeps happening, for both in front and behind the camera. More can be done but there are so many problems with the Oscars in general. Where are all the women?

    And I agree about the shaming of women in media, its petty and nasty. I didn't know about the Kanye West and Swift fued but thats disgusting. How dare he!! I'm not a Swift fan or West fan but that is appalling. The Kesha case is something I have just picked up on too, I;m ashamed to say. That made me sick to my stomach. Its terrible to think that THIS is STILL going on today! And breathe. I like to think that things are slowly getting better but everytime I read about stories like this about women shaming or daming I think not.

    Thanks for the shout out by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kesha situation is jarring and unsettling. I hate that this stuff continues to happen. We need serious, and permanent, change.

      Delete