Thursday, January 14, 2016

Thursday Movie Picks: Post Apocalyptic World


Another Thursday, and so that means it's another episode of Thursday Movie Picks.  This week is all about Post-Apocalyptic Worlds, not Apocalyptic, so we're talking AFTER the world ends!  My initial thought was The Road, which is such an underrated film, but I had a feeling that it would also be a lot of 'first thoughts', so I opted for some more obscure titles.

Although I'm sure that my #3 will land on a few lists as well.

Let's get started.

La Jetee (Chris Marker, 1962)
Such an astonishing piece of filmmaking, this short film (not even 30 minutes long) is so well constructed and thought out that every frame becomes an impression on the mind.  La Jetee was later remade in 1995 with Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt (12 Monkeys anyone?) and it was remade well, but there is something about this stunning short that continues to haunt the brain.

Delicatessen (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 1991)
Jean-Pierre Jeaunet is kind of a nut-job, and his films reflect that aesthetic.  Delicatessen is such a bizarre look at the world post-conclusion with such macabre life breathed into every frame and endlessly enjoyable aspects, from the performances to the set decor to the score to pretty much everything you could ask for being compiled in astonishingly delightful form.  I'd take this over Burton's Sweeney Todd any day.

Children of Men (Alfonso Cuaron, 2006)
There are few films as jarringly exposed as Children of Men, a film that teases us with the end of humankind only to trickle hope in front of our faces and dare us to chase it, and chase it we will, to the ends of the Earth (or what's left of it).  There is a reason it lands on my 100 (and then some) Favorite Films list.

26 comments:

  1. Holy moly, Delicatessen sounds like an odd one! That's going straight on my watch list!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hilariously disturbed in all the best ways!

      Delete
  2. Co-signed on all of these. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also chose Children of Men. I haven't heard of the first two, but they sound so bizarre. I may have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. La Jetee is probably the greatest 'short film' of all time. So far ahead of its time it's ridiculous.

      Delete
  4. I'm a big fan of 12 Monkeys, but ive never heard of La Jetee. I need to check that out. Delicatessen is a movie I've heard about often, over the years, but never watched. Need to do that. And Children of Men is my top film of '06. It's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, you need to watch La Jetee ASAP.

      Delete
  5. Just saw La Jetee this year, it was wonderful though I preferred the fleshed out 12 Monkeys more. Still a powerful piece of film making.

    Love Children of Men though the ending while it makes complete sense always throws me.

    I haven't seen Delicatessen.

    This isn't a genre that I necessarily gravitate towards so I had to cast around a bit but did come up with three that I think will be out of the way choices.

    The Planet of the Apes (1968)-The original story of a crew of astronauts who crash land in a world where a society of intelligent talking apes reign supreme. They are quickly taken prisoner and discover that humans are now subservient. Both cheesy and impressive at the same time with hambone Charlton Heston the exactly right actor in the lead.

    The Time Machine (1960)-At the turn of the 20th century H.G. Wells tells a group of friends of his time machine to their disbelief and one’s warning not to tempt the laws of providence. Wells ignores the advice and travels far into the future to find a sobering world populated by recessive humans called Eloi and strange creatures called Morlocks. This won an Oscar for its revolutionary time lapse photography.

    The World, the Flesh and the Devil (1959)-Miner Ralph Burton (Harry Belafonte) trapped for a number of days in a cave-in, emerges to find himself the seemingly lone survivor of a nuclear holocaust. Traveling to the closest large city, New York, he finds it deserted at first but eventually meets Sarah Crandall (Inger Stevens) who has also managed to survive. They form a close friendship until the appearance of a third survivor (Mel Ferrer) and tensions flair. A three person chamber piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen Planet of the Apes of your picks, and it's been way too long (I need to revisit that one). I'm particularly intrigued by The World, the Flesh and the Devil. Never even heard of that, but it sounds really intriguing.

      Delete
  6. I chose 12 Monkeys and had no idea it was based on a short film that I would love to see. I have not seen the other 2. The 2nd film looks just nuts:) I need to see the last film as Children of Men is considered a real gem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't endorse La Jetee enough. It's a multiple Fisti Awards nominee, BTW:

      http://afistfuloffilms.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-1962-fist-awards.html

      Delete
  7. I love Children of Men, an absolutely stunning film. Like you say, it does snatch hope right from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children of Men does so many things with the idea of hope, it's incredible.

      Delete
  8. GAH yet another reminder that I haven't seen La Jetee. LOVE Delicatessen. Children of Men is just mind-blowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Children of Men is pretty much a benchmark in cinema.

      Delete
  9. YES!!!! To all of these films, especially La Jetee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you included Children of Men. That would've been my first pick. What an amazing movie!

    My daughter saw Delicatessen. I'm not sure whether she liked it, but she seemed impressed by the sheer fucking weirdness of it all.

    So glad to see you back to blogging, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to be back to blogging, too! Thanks for the welcome.

      You should see Delicatessen. It's a brain-f*ck, but it's so worth it!

      Delete
  11. Love Children of Men. The only one I've seen on your list.

    ReplyDelete