Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Final Oscar Predictions


Well, Oscar nominations are tomorrow, and this year has been such an insane ride that I was, unfortunately, unable to keep complete track of and so I'm somewhat blindly throwing together a mix of what I expect, what I hope and what I fear.

And here it goes:


Best Picture
The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Carol
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Spotlight

Director
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu/The Revenant
Tom McCarthy/Spotlight
George Miller/Mad Max: Fury Road
Ridley Scott/The Martian
Steven Spielberg/Bridge of Spies

Film Editing
The Big Short
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Spotlight

Adapted Screenplay
The Big Short
Brooklyn
Carol
The Martian
Steve Jobs

Original Screenplay
Bridge of Spies
Ex Machina
Inside Out
Son of Saul
Spotlight

Supporting Actress
Rooney Mara/Carol
Rachel McAdams/Spotlight
Helen Mirren/Trumbo
Alicia Vikander/Ex Machina
Kate Winslet/Steve Jobs

Supporting Actor
Christian Bale/The Big Short
Idris Elba/Beasts of No Nation
Tom Hardy/The Revenant
Mark Ruffalo/Spotlight
Mark Rylance/Bridge of Spies

Lead Actor
Brian Cranston/Trumbo
Matt Damon/The Martian
Leonardo DiCaprio/The Revenant
Michael Fassbender/Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne/The Danish Girl

Lead Actress
Cate Blanchett/Carol
Brie Larson/Room
Jennifer Lawrence/Joy
Saoirse Ronan/Brooklyn
Alicia Vikander/The Danish Girl

Art Direction
Bridge of Spies
Cinderella
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens

Cinematography
The Hateful 8
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Sicario

Costume Design
Brooklyn
Carol
Cinderella
Crimson Peak
The Revenant

Makeup & Hairstyling
The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant

Visual Effects
Ex Machina
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens

Sound Editing
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Sicario
Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens

Sound Mixing
Bridge of Spies
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens

Original Score
Bridge of Spies
Carol
The Danish Girl
The Hateful 8
Steve Jobs

Original Song
The Light that Never Fails from Meru
Love Me Like You Do from Fifty Shades of Grey
See You Again from Furious 7
Simple Song #3 from Youth
Until It Happens to You from The Hunting Ground

Animated Film
Animalisa
Boy and the World
Inside Out
Shaun the Sheep Movie
When Marnie Was There

Documentary
Amy
Cartel Land
He Named Me Malala
The Hunting Ground
The Look of Silence

Foreign Film
Labyrinth of Lies
Mustang
Son of Saul
Theeb
A War

22 comments:

  1. I don't get why Trumbo is getting all this attention - is it just because it's a movie about movies? Hollywood sure does love that kinda stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trumbo is tricky because it seems to be holding onto those acting noms...and yet I could see it being shut out entirely OR coming on in a bigger way than we want to expect.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't even know where to start with making predictions but I do like the look of your line-up! Still so many movies to tick off my watch list before the actual awards!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEHE...we shall see how wrong I am tomorrow morning!

      Delete
  3. No Paul Dano or Michael Shannon? Uggghhhhhhhhh!

    lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I don't see either of them even coming close to a nom, honestly.

      Delete
  4. Oh so Mad Max made it in ?:D I just hope for Hardy and Theron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I almost stuck to my 'no Mad Max' prediction just so that, in case my hunch was right, I could gloat it the hell up tomorrow (I'll still gloat, mind you), but I had no idea what to predict in its place...like...nothing felt strong enough.

      Delete
  5. Hard to believe they're announcing these tomorrow. Every year it feels like it came quicker than the year before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still not expecting a lot of nods for 'Room?' Man, some things never change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll say this, the largest haul Room could do is 4. Best Picture, Screenplay, Actress and Supporting Actor. That's it. Nothing else will happen. Director is out. Not even close. Despite deserving some mentions elsewhere (some have suggested Art Direction), it won't happen. The film came on strong in the beginning, but you have probably noticed that it's starting to dwindle in actual passion all around. This has really become the Brie Larson show. I have a strong feeling that that is how it is seen, and that is how it will be nominated.

      But I could be wrong.

      Delete
  7. I hope tomorrow brings a couple big surprises...Oscars usually do that every year. I hate predictability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This whole season has been so unpredictable that any combination of anything is possible, and that's so exciting!

      Delete
  8. I thought the Oscar Noms would be on a Tuesday..oh well. see! Whadda I know:) I have a feeling Steve Carell will be up for best supporting. I am so hoping Jennifer Lawrence does not win this year because of a mop. I have a feeling Trumbo will be shut out for the most part-we'll find out tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer won't win, even if she is nominated.

      Bale has the better shot, considering Carell's campaign in Lead this year. His role is truly supporting (it's a true ensemble) but he campaigned Lead, allowing Bale to get the Supporting traction.

      Delete
  9. Love these! Good luck, buddy. I almost predicted the Meru song. LOL, watch it get nominated. :/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you did pretty well there. I can't believe you saw Tom Hardy, Rachel McAdams, and Mark Ruffalo coming. Those noms sent shockwaves through the Asshole offices. We can't wait to hear your thoughts on the nominations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Revenant was peaking hard. I had Hardy predicted all year. He made way too much sense (rising star/great year/critical support/STRONG BP contender/Leo's inevitable Oscar) to miss.

      Delete
  11. I think The Revenant is gonna end up winning. Spotlight seemed like the frontrunner for a long time but the campaign has just ran out steam now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spotlight did overperform with Oscar noms, though, which can mean a lot. It's definitely a two-pony race right now.

      Delete