Monday, January 18, 2016

A Fistful of Thoughts...about punching people in the face, celebrating crap and bringing back the dead!


So, it's Monday and today we have a few things to talk about, some of which we've already mentioned, and some of which barely matters...and then there's some Sean Penn crap because, well, he's Sean Penn and he's mostly full of crap.

Let's begin with him:



So, by now we've all heard about Sean Penn's secret interview with El Chapo.  If you're like me, you were so blinded by all this awards stuff going on that you shrugged it off as "yet another reason to dislike Sean Penn" and forgot about it.  Well, Sean Penn hasn't forgotten about it (because, why would Sean Penn forget about making us all hear about what he thinks is the best possible solution to any particular problem) and so he's been talking about it, most recently (or most recently that I've heard) to Charlie Rose.  Now, I hear what Sean is saying, but personally I'm not even sure he's really saying much at all.  He has no regrets about this meeting OTHER than the fact that apparently we aren't praising him for his Godly efforts to save lives.  I'm not even sure where I stand on his dicision (or if I care enough to stand anywhere on it) but he's such a smug a-hole and so I see no reason to entertain the idea that he tried to do any good with this.

LOL, have you heard that Meryl Streep is holding an acting workshop in Germany?  Oh, to be a fly on that wall.  I have such a love/hate relationship with Meryl Streep.  I appreciate her talent, but I find her legions of fans and appointed status as 'greatest actress of all time' to be so much overkill I can't help but kind of sneer everytime her name is brought up.  The article linked above even opens with how everyone should want her career.  I'll be honest, I don't think her career is that great.  Sure, her Oscar success is great, but Oscar isn't the greatest barometer for 'great careers' and if I were an actress I'd rather emulate the career path of someone like Marion Cotillard who has actually worked with prime directors on interesting projects.  And before you try and say that Cotillard is young and thus her roles are bound to be more interesting, I present to you Streep's early career, which outside of some sharp choices in the 80's is pretty much consistently mediocre (film-wise) and uninspired (director-wise).


But I'd still readily attend this workshop.

In case you're interested, here are the Razzie Award nominees.  Out of curiosity, what was the worst movie you saw this year?

So, we all were saddened by the death of David Bowie last week, which was followed by the tragic loss of Alan Rickman (like so many already stated on Twitter, "f*ck cancer") but did you hear that there was actually a campaign started on change.org to have God reverse Bowie's death?  Apparently this was started by someone in Rome who simply states to "God or whom it may concern"..."David Bowie cannot be dead!"  

If only it worked this way.

Lastly, I know that I already said my peace on the matter (and, honestly, Nate over at The Film Experience said it better than I ever could over the weekend), but I wanted to link this article on why Creed's Best Picture Oscar snub is so critical because, while I don't agree entirely, it makes some very important points regarding how POC are portrayed in cinema today and the lengths that need to be taken to rectify this.  I've made this comment many times here, even having a blogathon designed to recast roles and give them to POC, but the lack of diverse roles for POC is disgusting, not because they aren't there but because they aren't provided to these actors.  Creed could have been a special moment had it been nominated for BP because, as the article points out, it isn't about the black struggle.  This isn't a film that had black actors because they HAD TO BE black.  These roles aren't tied to some kind of racial pain or stereotype.  In other words, it isn't the typical black film Oscar gravitates towards, and so it could have sent a message.  Sadly, by the time Oscar ballots were being filled out, critics bodies and precursors already pushed Creed out of that race, but the point remains.  More films like this need to be made and promoted, heavily.


The end.

And now, let's talk about you:
Britt reviews Partisan
Kevin & Sati react to the Oscar noms
Jenna reviews In the Heart of the Sea
Matt, Andrew & Keith talk some of their favorite performances of 2015
Myerla reviews The Hateful Eight
Erik talks the blatant category fraud we just witnessed
Steven reviews A Knights Tale
Birgit participates in a blogathon
Khalid reviews Anomalisa

30 comments:

  1. I've been living in a hole all weekend, this is the first I've heard about Sean Penn! The kettle is on and I'm looking forward to catching up on that one.
    I love how strongly you feel about Meryl Streep! I don't think I've watched a movie she's in I haven't really liked yet, but at the same time, I don't feel like I absolutely HAVE to see a movie just because of her. She's good, but so are many other actresses!
    And thank you for the link :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome...and yeah, I mean, I like Streep a lot...but she's not the best out there by any means (not close, really).

      Delete
  2. Sean Penn should probably go into hiding and stop talking about this.

    I'm glad you said that about Meryl. She's very, very talented but she gets nominated for the sake of just being Meryl Streep at this point. Before Suffragette died in the water I was half expecting her to get Supporting Actress nominations even though she was in the movie for 2 minutes.

    I still need to see Creed but I'm going to go read that article. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Sean Penn thinks he's too important to go into hiding.

      I was pretty certain that Suffragette would sweep at the Oscars, mainly because of Streep's involvement. How wrong I was.

      Delete
  3. I like Meryl Streep and there's no question she's talented but her fans are so devout and rabid that you can't venture the opinion that she's been over-acknowledged. I wouldn't say over-rewarded, she's given at least three Oscar worthy performance-two were even the ones she won for, but the lazy automatic nominations diminish her worthy work and feed into the backlash that she often suffers. I was delighted that for the first time in recent memory she wasn't in the Oscar conversation this year. Jennifer Lawrence, a fine actress but not four nominations by 25 fine, is at risk of suffering the same thing happening to her.

    Did you know that when Meryl was at Yale School of Drama she sought therapy because she was always selected for the leads and the pressure and guilt was giving her ulcers and she considered walking away from acting and going into law?

    Z for Zachariah is the first movie that comes to mind as the worst movie from last year that I saw. I don't know if it was the flat out worst film but with Chris Pine and Chiwetel Ejiofor in the cast and what should have been an intriguing story it was a complete slog to get through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she had won for Kramer vs. Kramer, Silkwood & A Cry in the Dark, I wouldn't complain one iota.

      Love that tidbit about Streep! You're always so good about that kind of trivia.

      I really wanted to see Z for Zachariah, but you're not the first to point out that it was not good. I think I'll pass.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the mention!
    RIP Alan Rickman. This past week has been a really sad one :(
    And for me the worst movie of 2015 was by far Unfriended which basically personifies all my annoyances with the found footage genre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEK! I really want to see Unfriended!!!

      Rickman's passing is so sad...so sad.

      Delete
  5. Sean Penn. Sigh. I watched part of that interview and yeah, he was only doing it for our benefit. Whatever.

    I'm a fan of Streep, but I agree it's ridiculous that she gets an Oscar nod for practically every role. Worse movie for me is Black or White with Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean Penn has major problems...major ones.

      Paul Blart was a mess. I won't ever see Black or White (but wasn't that 2014?)...the name alone was horribly racist. I'm kind of shocked Spencer agreed to do it.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the link-love. Sean Penn just needs to stick to acting. All of his political and social activism bullshit just needs to go. Sean, you're a rich white man from California. Why the fuck should we listen to you? You have money, we barely have money so shut the fuck up Jabroni or I'll raid your fucking house while I fuck your daughter!

    I've accepted that Bowie will never be around anymore. I ain't signing that petition. It's not going to work unless.... we can have Bowie and Rickman back in exchange for the following:

    The Kartrashians
    Justin Bieber
    Kanye West
    Vince McMahon
    John Cena
    Michael Bay
    & Donald Trump

    The Razzies, I actually like those awards. I hope it goes to Adam Sandler or Fifty Shades of Shit. I just wish Aloha got nominated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...

      Is his daughter hot?

      I'll have to Google this.

      Delete
    2. Here's your answer: http://cdn02.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/headlines/2013/12/dylan-penn-call-robert-pattinson-rumors-bullsh.jpg

      Delete
  7. Sean Penn is an idiot....a total idiot.....I picture him as one of those screaming snot-nosed dirty-faced brats who is throwing a tantrum because others have dared to talk without looking at Mr. snot nose. He deserves my Yawn of the year award. Oh you know what I think of Meryl-She could cough up a lung and she's get nominated. I tried watching Sophie's Choice, not once, not twice, but three times! I tried the same with The French Lieutenant's Woman. All I wanted to do was smack her. 50 Shades of blecch must be up for the razzies because the book sucks so the movie must be even worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES...idiot...and I might add...marginally talented. Like, he's good, but I fail to see him as some kind of acting god to where we need to put up with this crap.

      Gurl, bye!

      Delete
  8. I watched Penn and Rose with two talkative children in the room, so I'll hold off until I rewatch it. But it's funny how off Penn's view of his work is from the vast majority of people. I kind of enjoy how ridiculous the whole thing is.

    Streep! I like her, but it's rather clear that her shit doesn't stink, but assuming she could teach me to act like it does. Let me know how that class goes...

    Creed should have been nominated because it was awesome. Period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that I missed Creed when I had the chance, but I'll catch it soon.

      Penn seems oddly delusional.

      Delete
  9. Sooo appreciate the link my friend. As for Penn, both he and Rolling Stone should be ashamed. But he has never turned down a chance for self-promotion.

    Huge fan of Creed and even bigger fan of Coogler. I'm not really upset that it wasn't nominated because I think their are better films. But I just put up a post saying that aiming at the Oscars is putting the sights on the wrong target. We MUST start looking harder at the opportunities in Hollywood in order to see meaningful change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, completely agree. I wrote a similar article last week.

      Delete
  10. Thanks so much for the link! People are now calling Lawrence new Streep and I just feel bad about the comparison. I don't recall Streep hanging out with the fellow overrated 'actress' being rude and unfunny and talking about her vagina in interviews...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...Streep certainly has more class...but Lawrence is becoming that weird Oscar darling (like, she's a decent actress but I don't get it at all)...so I understand the comparison in that respect.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the shout out!

    Sean Penn....urg I dislike that man as a person. Pretty talented actor though.

    I completely agree about the black struggle bit, they seemed to be the only films about black people that seem to nomimanted.

    Anyway I saw three really good films with really good blacks leads (dope, Creed and Straight outta Compton) all of which were criticially acclaimed.

    and the worst film I saw this year...United Passions. A disgusting FIFA propaganda movie. Fuck FIFA...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I heard that United Passions was pretty awful. I'll steer clear of that one!

      And you're very welcome on the shout out!

      Delete
  12. Hi stranger ;-) Meh, I can't stand Sean Penn, so no comment on that guy. Wow, an acting workshop by Meryl Streep! I'm not her biggest fan but one has to admit she's an acting legend so yeah, I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that room too. Still sad about Rickman, been watching some of the clips of his films and that made me even sadder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gurl, I feel like such a crappy blogging buddy. I don't know what happened, but I just dropped by and left a few comments. I'm so sorry!

      And yes, the Rickman news is just too much.

      Delete
  13. I really wonder what's wrong with Sean Penn sometimes. It's like his ego is the size of the moon. He's now trying to remake his image into some sort of humanitarian. I'm not saying that he can't be passionate for causes and help people, but having to announce it and shout it to the rafters is the opposite of what it means to truly help others. It comes across as a vanity project instead of humanitarian. Also, his recent interview with a murderous drug lord did him no favors. Nor did his lawsuits claiming he's never beat up a woman. WE ALL KNOW HE'S LYING!

    His last movie 'The Gunman' was so terrible. Perhaps he should focus on getting better scripts, even if it's a small role. There's dignity in humility. Unfortunately for Penn he doesn't get that.

    Oh the Oscars. I'm so tired of my facebook filling up with this stuff. I'm of the belief that the lack of diversity and lack of opportunity for women and minorites has nothing to do with the Oscars. It's much farther down the pipeline and it's been going on for a long time. Perhaps the Oscars accentuates the problem and allows people to see it? I don't know, but I'm not really sure why the Smiths haven't been aware of this problem until now?

    I'm also of the belief that instead of complaining people with power need to try to come up with solutions. I think the Smiths own a large production company. Sandra Bullock and Reese Witherspoon have had to create their own roles b/c women over 35 cease to exist in Hollywood. I wish Smith and Lee would come forward with their concerns in a more constructive manner. I'm not saying that Hollywood isn't racist...b/c it is, but coming out and screaming that "hollywood is racist!" isn't the best way to get them to change. Also, someone should tell Smith next time he wants an Oscar he shouldn't turn down a role in a movie like D'jango Unchained! Take some risks Will. No one likes him anyway so he shouldn't worry about what people think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it. I literally started unfollowing people on Twitter over this Oscars So White thing. It's becoming insufferable.

      Delete
  14. I respect Penn's efforts, but I'm not sure what to think of them.

    Streep can be great, even if she is massively overrated. But I wish she'd chose more interesting directors to work with.

    El Ardor with Gael Garcia Bernal remains the worst film I saw last year. It's an uninspired B-movie about a man who helps a farmer and his daughter protect their land from mercenaries. Surprisingly dull.

    RIP Bowie and Rickman... :(

    I would've liked to see something like Creed nominated. It's a shame POC can't get the roles (or the awards campaigns) that their fellow white contenders do. Like, if a star such as Will Smith had starred in The Martian, it probably would've been just as successful, and he probably would've been nominated instead of Matt Damon. Casting decisions need to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish Streep would think more about her roles, too. She could really spice things up, and blow us all away in the process.

      And Will Smith could have anchored and snagged that Oscar nom, but I'm not for more Smith attention, so...no. In fact, while watching The Martian I found myself wishing Damon and Pena had switched roles.

      Delete