Monday, January 11, 2016

A Fistful of Thoughts...about Kate Winslet's globes, tweets of hilarity and the dearly departed!


So last night while the rest of the cinephile world was watching The Golden Globes, I was eating a sandwich and watching Kingsman for the first time.  Yeah, I was pissed but I made the best of a bad situation.  For the first time since 2003 (when I started watching Award's shows religiously), I'm missing the televised awards because I no longer have cable and am relying on streaming services, and last night NBC was a b*tch.  I swear to god, if the Oscars don't live stream somehow, I will cut someone.

So, I don't have anything to say today about the fashions or speeches or jokes because I saw none of them.

FML.

I do have a few things to say though:



Let's start with Kate Winslet.  I've been suggesting for a while (and Josh can confirm this, since it's been though our daily DM's on Twitter) that Kate Winslet seemed like a logical Oscar winner in this particular year/field.  Supporting Actress is so all over the place and the consensus choices are so confusing, Oscar-wise, that Winslet has, for the past few months, felt like the one who would benefit.  

Vikander has the 'Jessica Chastain breakout' thing going for her, but the two roles for which she's garnering accolades are going to suffer with Oscar voters for two different reasons.  The Danish Girl, which is clearly her most Oscary role, is a LEAD performance being shoved into Supporting for an easy get, but backlash has already started for that decision and the film itself is DOA.  Ex Machina is such an un-Oscary choice and while it's been the critics darling of sorts, it's not really a performance/genre that Oscar is going to jump at the bit to reward.  Mara is a passive character who also suffers from OBVIOUS category fraud and she has already spoken out against it and there are very vocal voters claiming to NOT vote for her because of the fraud.  The rest are too divisive.  Mirren is a non-starter...a clear filler nom (if she becomes one).  JJL has a sort of narrative and she is in a Tarantino film, but it's also a VERY divisive film with LOUD detractors and the role is a very violent and offensive one.  

That leaves us with Winslet, a respected actress on a comeback high since her Oscar win in 2008 with a role/performance that was lauded by critics, is a true Supporting player and is in a biopic.

I'll be predicting her for the Oscar until the very end.

One other thing, Golden Globes related, that I want to mention is the choice to reward The Revenant as Best Picture last night.  While I strongly feel like The Revenant is in the running (and probably top two) for the actual Best Picture Oscar, I want everyone who is getting all "game is over" up in arms about this win to remember that this is the Globes we are talking about.  I'm going to throw out a few Best Picture wins from them and let you put the rest of it together.

The Aviator, Brokeback Mountain, Babel, Atonement, Avatar, The Social Network, Boyhood...

They don't have the best tract record of predicting Oscar's Best Picture, and if you look closer at their selections, they are mostly bigger films than the ones that actually won.  The Revenant fits with their tastes/predictions.  It doesn't always fail, but I could very easily see Spotlight still snagging the Oscar votes over The Revenant.

Next, have you seen this yet?


Now, I've not been shy about my lack of 'giving a f*ck' with regards to Matthew McConaughey, but I have also been pretty vocal about my absolute adoration of Gugu Mbatha-Raw, and this is her next high profile role (as Jones' wife).  Now, the film looks beautifully shot and full of potential, even with McConaughey doing once again the only thing he can (play a Southerner with swagger).  And, I'm going to note that while she only has a few moments in the trailer, two things are clear.  1)  She's suffering.  2)  She nails her accent.  I'll be praying Oscar notices.

So...please tell me you all follow Mark Schultz.  I know that it's not nice to poke fun at the mentally handicapped, but this guy't Twitter feed is the most amazing thing I've ever experienced.  I'm sure all of you remember his tirade against Bennett Miller and all things Foxcatcher last year and then his immediate backpeddling the second it started getting nominated.  Well, he is back to his self-promotion, poor me, I hate the movie again, this time posting inane polls all over Twitter on a daily basis.  It's GOLD, I'm telling you, so please do yourself a favor and follow him ASAP.

Oh, and did you see this?


Effing beautiful!  I swear, EVERYTHING about this movie has me so excited. 

ASS
IN
SEAT

And lastly, I just wanted to take a moment to express my sadness over the tragic news of David Bowie's passing last night.  It's was such a weird moment for me because tomorrow I'll be posting my review of his latest album, and he's been on my mind since Friday because of that, and so when I saw the news I was taken completely for a loop.  Apparently his 18 month battle with cancer met an end yesterday, and this truly is the end of a legacy and so it's a monumental loss and shame.

Not going to lie, when Duncan Jones posted this on Twitter last night, I cried:


So to his family and his fans, my heart is with you.

So, that's what I have for you today.  Let's see what you have for me!

Links
Keith, Sati, Ruth and Brit all talk The Globes
Jenna and Allie gear up for their 2016 Blind Spots
Mariah and Alex talks their favorite films of 2015
Wendell introduces a new blogathon
Kevin speaks
Hogan talks Wes Anderson
Connor stresses over the PGA
Josh tells us what he watched last month

32 comments:

  1. I think with Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio winning at the Globes, that would create a fun Oscar narrative: "Jack and Rose finding happiness."

    I think The Revenant is a strong BP candidate, but it'll be hurt by the fact that Innaritu just won three.

    I'm ambivalent about Free State of Jones. I don’t like a lot of those "minorities follow white man as the leader" movies. I do hope that, unlike in Concussion, Gugu Mbatha-Raw actually has something to do.

    R.I.P. David Bowie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for this narrative!

      I don't think Inarritu's recent wins will matter in the scope of things. His momentum is HUGE right now.

      The film looks problematic, but if Gugu gets recognition and it results in her becoming the star she deserves to be, I'm all for it.

      Delete
  2. I brought up the same thing last night on Twitter regarding The Revenant winning best Drama. They don't exactly have the best track record, and I think Spotlight will win the SAG and continue to be a big contender.

    Kate's win surprised me. I'm not sure what it says for Oscar yet, because The HFPA may just have wanted her and Leo to win together. I need to see how SAG goes. lol

    Mark Schultz's tweets are private now unless you're a confirmed follower. :(

    It's so sad about Bowie, I always enjoyed his bigger songs until I met my husband who is a massive Bowie fan, and he got me into everything I had missed when I was younger. His new album is very well done and kind of sad. Listening to the lyrics now, I'm surprised I didn't think of it as a good bye note beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! I wish you could follow Mark. Like...a new poll every single day. It gives me SUCH LIFE!!!

      Delete
  3. Hey dude, thanks for the link!

    Great observation on Winslet. It makes sense once you break it down. I also noted that The Revenant shouldn't be christened the Oscar winner yet. It is certainly in a strong position but so was Boyhood last year (as you noted). Those crazy Globes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, The Globes and Oscar don't match very often, really, even in other categories. Their Song/Score categories almost never match. Acting is where they match the most (especially since they can double up on winners, practically), but even there they aren't bullet-proof.

      Delete
  4. Totally agree on your breakdown of Vikander's Oscar chances. Oscar politics are so absurd. But thanks so much for the link my friend, I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Vikander was all set to steal the season...and then the Globes kind of killed her momentum. If Kate takes SAG (which seems likely) then this Oscar race is over.

      Delete
  5. You can add me to a list of people who did not watch the Golden Globes, in fact I don't want any award shows at all (except for BAFTA highlights but only cos my mum asks me to). I'm from the United Kingdom so the Oscars go on well to late for me and there's too much back slapping, vanity, political nonsense.

    And the death of David Bowie is just gutting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oscars are very political...but pretty much all awards bodies have become that way, sadly. All the more reason to have personal awards every year!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the link love, Drew! Interesting assessment about Winslet. I wasn't rooting for her but she is a great actress and that was a good performance of hers in Steve Jobs. Now, even though I adore Dame Mirren I don't think she's all that great in Trumbo IMHO.

    The death of David Bowie took me by surprise, I didn't even know he's been sick. The world lost a legend today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cancer is terrible. Bowie...Rickman...just terrible.

      Delete
  7. I taped the Globes and have not seen it yet. I always liked Kate Winslet even in films that were not that good, she still excels in my mind at least. I have a feeling The Revanant will do well and Leo will take Oscar because of all the buzz. Oscar is never fair and always political. I think I would go to a hotel that night if I couldn't see the Oscars. I was really saddened to hear about David Bowie. He was an excellent singer, songwriter and performer. I don't understand how he could pass away but Keith Richards keeps on living

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so out of the loop for all the awards insanity, I think you've got a way better handle of it. Oh, and I watched the Globes, and from where I'm sitting...you didn't miss much.

    It was as if the entire ceremony was late for a flight. Lame.

    Man, not even an ardent Bowie fan, but I was f--king bummed out when I heard the news. F--k cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished my tribute to Bowie: http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2016/01/david-bowie-1947-2016.html

    I'm now crying a fucking flood right now....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you missed the Globes. Hopefully you at least enjoyed Kingsman. Saw the trailer for The Jungle Book when I went to see The Force Awakens. Looks great, but I'll file it under 'cautious optimism.' Thanks for the link...and for agreeing to take part!

    R.I.P. David Bowie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cautious optimism is really the only way to approach any Disney live-action adaptation.

      And you're so welcome! I can't wait to get into putting my post together!

      Delete
  11. Those Globes were fucked. You aren't missing anything seeing clips on youtube, I have never in my life seen Golden Globe ceremony with worse pacing.

    I gotta say your reasoning for Winslet is awesome and she would make a worthy winner unlike overhyped Vikander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, most televised shows are hot messes!

      I love what Vikander did this year, but any award for Winslet is a good award, so put me down for #TeamWinslet!

      Delete
  12. You're not alone in missing the Globes! I'm jealous of what you did instead actually, I was attempting to tidy my house, living the rock n roll lifestyle that I do.
    I'm so clueless on the awards game so I love reading your thoughts about it all!
    Oh, and thank you for the link :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I'd hate to be tidying house too...but living like a rock star sounds fun :-D

      Delete
  13. Think DiCaprio is pretty much a lock for winning. Would love to see Stallone take home Best Supporting Actor too. Winslet? Not so sure.

    R.I.P David Bowie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DiCap will be the talk of the night!

      Delete
  14. Great stuff, man. Thanks for the link.

    I was actually shocked by Kate's win at the Globes. But I'm good with it. She was so amazing in Steve Jobs.

    Something about the Free State of Jones trailer turned me off. I felt like it was giving too much and gave me a sort of TV mini-series vibe. I'm down with anything McConaughey though. I have to be. He's my wife's favorite vice. Lol.

    The Jungle Book and everything about it is just gorgeous. I'm pretty excited.

    That pic of David and Duncan is lovely. Such a sad loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the film itself looks mediocre...tv movie for sure...but I'm all in for a Gugu uprising.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the link!

    Your Winslet argument totally makes sense. I could definitely see her winning now.

    The Revenant doesn't feel like a BP winner, but neither did Birdman.

    Prayer circle for Gugu!

    LOL, Mark Schultz.

    Still not sold on The Jungle Book, but I'm intrigued.

    RIP, David Bowie. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I still see Winslet snatching the Gold unless Vikander somehow sweeps from here on out.

      The Revenant doesn't feel BP to me, and with Spotlight's nomination haul, I think it remains our frontrunner...for now.

      Schultz is GOLD...lol...he even liked my tweet about him being a twitter treasure or whatever...lol!

      Delete
  16. That annoyed me about the Supporting Actress noms, the same thing keeps happening. If these women were really brilliant - put them in the same category. It annoys voters and annoys me. I do love Kate Winslet, but I am not interested in Steve Jobs. To be honest the noms this year are so-so, there are so manty films that do not even make an appearence. Macbeth anyone? The Lobster? But it awards right? The OscarSoWhite campaign seems to be picking up steam though so thats something.

    I'm on the fence about The Jungle Book, it looks amazing but there's something I'm not too sure about. Like, why is King Louie so HUGE!?

    Thanks for the shout out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think The Lobster is due here in the states this year, and Macbeth died in Weinstein's hands, sadly.

      You're so welcome on the link!

      Delete