Monday, January 4, 2016

A Fistful of Thoughts...about golden streams, violent dreams and the return of the mack!


So, I'm going to attempt to get back into the swing of some Fistful of Thoughts posts.  I don't want to promise every week, but I want to try and get back into a routine of making this a Monday thing, so wish me luck.  I'm not going to lie, this one was a little thrown together, so forgive me if this seems...not entirely well crafted.  I'm still getting my footing here.

Enough excuse making...let's just get right into this:


So, as I've made clear here, I'm SO BACKED UP on my film viewing for 2015.  Like, if you check out the film review page, you'll see I'm at, like 20 something films for the film year, which is embarrassing.  So, I'm glad I found these two lists online to help me fill out some empty spaces.  First, we have the 50 Most Overlooked Films of 2015 (films that made under $1 million at the box office), but the most exciting is probably this list of Where to Stream the Best Films of 2015, because we all know that streaming is the easiest thing to do!

Any suggestions on where I should start?

Now, moving on to movies that aren't currently streaming in your livingroom, let's talk Assassin's Creed.  Like four people have seen Macbeth and yet we're already talking about the reteaming of the incredi-team (right?) of Michael Fassbender, Justin Kurzel and the Goddess known as Marion Cotillard.  New images of Assassin's Creed have surfaced, and I'm all in for this.  Conceptually, this sounds so messy (like, when has a video-game adaptation not sucked?) but I'd follow this tree-way to the ends of the mattress earth, so you know I'm all in.

Mess?
Speaking of all in, have you read the current 'slate' for Christopher Nolan's next flick?  Tom Hardy is reportedly back on board, and everyone and their mother should be 'all in' for anything Tom Hardy.  It's not just Tom though.  Oscar frontrunner Mark Rylance and Kenneth Branagh are in talks, and that sounds like a pretty great start.  I'm all for Branagh getting more meaty roles.  This is reportedly a war flick, which is intriguing in the hands of Nolan, who hasn't really tackled a war film despite having his hands deeply intertwined with violent things.  

Speaking of violent things, can we all agree that Glee will never be the same now that we all want to smash Mark Salling's face in?  I can't with this stuff.  I mean, how can anyone in their right mind find girls/boys ten and under attractive?  This is literally making my stomach curl right now, and what's worse is that this is becoming such a common thing.  WTF!!!  It feels like left and right celebrities are coming out as having a thing for kids, and this is just the most detestable thing that there ever could be.  Sorry, not sorry, but f*ck this guy.  

Also, f*ck Richard Linklater.

I'm sorry, but have you seen this?


Maybe I just don't get Linklater, and yet I kind of liked those Before movies...I think...I did...but good god, I tried caring about Dazed and Confused and found myself very much NOT and this just looks...stupid.  Like, so stupid.  Maybe I just don't get the 70's or 80's or whatever, but teenagers are hard enough to care about now, and yet it's almost like they were dumber then...which is hard to believe since, well, teenagers...

Anyways...

Enough about me, let's talk about you:
Mario talks Mulan
Dell gears up for 2016
Allie and Jenna get ready for a January at the movies
Jay covers her favorite moments of 2015
Britt read some books last year
Ruth breaks down the best and worst of 2015 cinema
Chris read...a lot!
Kevin talks the ten best movies he saw in the theater last year
Matt talks the ten films he's most anticipating this year
Getter talks her ten favorite songs of last year
Margaret discusses some Tarantino sized issues
Josh ranks his Blind Spot's from last year

26 comments:

  1. I'm so pumped for Assassins Creed. I've been quiet for a while because like you said, video game movies suck! Thank you for the link! :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything associated with the film though, just feels so solid. It has to be good?

      Delete
  2. Okay, I went to college in the 1980s. My college experience was very different from what Linklater apparently thinks my college experience was like. I don't dislike Linklater, but I have no interest in that.

    As for Assassin's Creed...we'll see. I wonder how much of the "video game movies suck" idea comes from the fact that so many of them seem to come from Uwe Boll. And then I remember that a lot of them don't come from him and still suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linklater's film looks a mess.

      LOL...video game adaptations have a long legacy of being crap, unfortunately.

      Delete
  3. This is the first I've heard about the Mark Salling thing. Ewww.

    Glad you linked to those lists of movies. Those will help me pick some films, too.

    Yeah, Linklater hasn't done it for me, yet. Though I haven't seen the Before movies just yet.

    Looking forward to more thoughts.

    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewww indeed.

      The Before trilogy is a tad self indulgent and then again really lovely as a whole. I recommend it for sure.

      Delete
  4. I feel like the US gave up on promoting Macbeth. My theater dropped it after a week so I missed it. I'll wait for the reviews on AC. It just looks "meh" to me now.

    There's a couple films on that streaming list I'll probably check out soon. Phoenix and Pigeon for sure.

    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I had time to come back and look at your reviews page. (I was waiting for Hateful Eight to start earlier) I think you should see Brooklyn, Room, Sicario, It Follows, Spotlight, Truth, Infinitely Polar Bear and End of the Tour.

      Delete
    2. Macbeth looks like a dream, but then again...it's effing Cotillard and so everything she does is very high on my watch list.

      Phoenix is great! You must see that...and I'll be sure to check out the titles you suggest too!

      Delete
  5. Good to see Fistful of Thoughts is back!

    Suggestions where to start with 2015 films. Clouds of Sils Maria is good if you love perfomances. Mistress America has fun dialogue. World of Tomorrow is arguably the best short of the last 5 years. What We Do in the Shadows is the best written comedy I've watched in a while.

    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll add those to my list! I am really anxious to see Mistress America and Clouds of Sils Maria!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the link Drew! Happy new year, glad to hear you'll be back blogging more regularly again. I'm excited for Nolan's new flick, esp w/ Hardy on board. Now, if only he'd cast my French crush Stanley Weber as the film is set in France, now that'd make my year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to check out some of Weber's work.

      Delete
  7. I agree with you with that turd from Glee. Very sad especially for the people who worked with him and his family never mind the children he may have abused. As for that teen movie-nothing new-I saw many of these stupid movies when I was young. They were all the rage in the 70's and 80's-stupid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This new epidemic of child molesting celebrities NEEDS TO STOP!

      Delete
  8. I never watched Glee and never will as I'm just not into musicals or anything about that shit. My sister was into it and it annoyed the fuck out of me. The fact that one of them died like an asshole, that Lea Michelle is a total bitch, and now we have this shithead turning out to be a pedophile. It doesn't surprise me that many of these people who are on the show are actually fucking scum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the first season of Glee...but lost interest shortly into the second season.

      Not sure what to say about the rest of that, though.

      Delete
  9. My spouse and i still can not quite feel that I could become one of those reading through the important recommendations found on your site. My family and I are seriously thankful for the generosity and for providing me opportunity pursue my own chosen profession path. Thank you for the important information I got from your web-site. http://www.healthsupreviews.com/neurodrol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the link, brother! Much appreciated.

    As for Linklater's new one, I just have to say...fucking live a little, man. This movie looks like a blast. I don't love (nor have I seen) all of Linklater's movies, but Dazed and Confused is one of the great comedies of my lifetime. I absolutely adore it. It's important to me.

    I connect to Linklater in many ways. He is from the South. He was a baseball player. He loves classic rock. He was a product of divorce, raised by a single mother. Me. Me. Me. Me. As a Southern baseball fanatic, who spent most of his college years rolling joints and ripping bongs, I instantly connected to this trailer. I am counting the days until I get to see Everybody Wants Some. I can't see anything not to love. College baseball players hitting on chicks and getting stoned. No better subject for a comedy in my mind.

    As for 2015 movies, well, you've seen my preliminary Top Ten. I can also add Tangerine, which is fucking nuts. Also What We Do in the Shadows, which is the funniest pure comedy of the year. I also really dug The Martian, Room, Spectre, Cinderella, and Love & Mercy, which is about as good as biopics get. Still plenty to see myself. Good luck, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how much you connect with that world, and that's probably where he loses me...because that's so not me at all :-P

      I keep hearing all this What We do in the Shadows love...so I guess I should make that a priority!

      Tangerine was insane, I agree!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the link! :)

    Ooh, nice list links. Start with something like Victoria, Mistress America, The End of the Tour, '71, Maps to the Stars, Love & Mercy, or Clouds of Sils Maria. I'd also recommend Madame Bovary, which I think also made under $1 million in the US, if only for the gorgeous costumes.

    I can't wait for Nolan's latest and Assassin's Creed. They might be letdowns, but they look so interesting.

    The Salling news is horrifying. And it's not only movie/tv celebrities, sadly. Even Youtube stars have been linked in this disgusting trend.

    That Linklater film looks disappointing, even uninteresting. Though, I'm mainly a fan of the Before trilogy. While I like most of his films that I've seen, he's never been one of my favorite directors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madame Bovary!!!! I knew there was something I saw on your halfway awards I had been meaning to see forever...and it's been on Netflix stream for months!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the link, man! Jesus the levels of abuse I'm getting on that article lately, I should just publish all that filth I'm getting because I haven't been hit this hard since I went after Dunham (God the things people are fans of these days...)

    As for what you should see - Bone Tomahawk! Also another obscure movie is Respire, Melanie Laurent's directorial debut which is amazing, I think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw nothing about your post (that I read) to be worthy of vitriol, especially when your issue with the film seems to be one I've heard quite a few mention as well.

      And Bone Tomahawk and Respire are both VERY HIGH on my watchlist!

      Delete
  13. I've missed this whole celebrity pedo thing, which is just as well. I find that sort of thing deeply depressing. Children are suffering enough in this world without high-profile people trying to normalize that kind of perversion. F*ck them.

    Glad I'm not the only person who didn't love Dazed and Confused.

    ReplyDelete