Thursday, January 14, 2016

2015 OSCAR NOMINATIONS!!!


Well, the Oscar nominations were announced about an hour ago, so here they are in their complete glory alongside my scores for my Final Predictions from yesterday as well as my April Predictions from last year.  Have fun!


Best Picture
“The Big Short”
“Bridge of Spies”
“Brooklyn”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Martian”
“The Revenant”
“Room”
“Spotlight”

Few things.  I called 8 nominees here, but I missed Room, instead predicting Carol to actually get in...BUT, if you'll note, last week I clearly stated that I was VERY skeptical about Carol (and Mad Max) getting nominated and felt it was getting weaker and could possibly get snubbed.

Final Predictions Score: 7/8
April Predictions Score: 3/8

Lead Actor
Bryan Cranston in “Trumbo”
Matt Damon in “The Martian”
Leonardo DiCaprio in “The Revenant”
Michael Fassbender in “Steve Jobs”
Eddie Redmayne in “The Danish Girl”

Final Predictions Score: 5/5
April Predictions Score: 2/5
Supporting Actor
Christian Bale in “The Big Short”
Tom Hardy in “The Revenant”
Mark Ruffalo in “Spotlight”
Mark Rylance in “Bridge of Spies”
Sylvester Stallone in “Creed”

The #OscarsSoWhite is bound to heat up with the Elba snub, considering that he was the only POC that seemed destined to snag that Oscar nom.  It's a shame, since his performance was rather outstanding, but I was right about two things; Ruffalo and Hardy!

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
April Predictions Score: 1/5
Lead Actress
Cate Blanchett in “Carol”
Brie Larson in “Room”
Jennifer Lawrence in “Joy”
Charlotte Rampling in “45 Years”
Saoirse Ronan in “Brooklyn”

Vikander done effed up everyone's predictions this year, but category fraud prevailed and she was knocked out  of this category, leaving room for Rampling to snag that nom (and I hear she was VERY deserving).  Lawrence, once again, gets nominated.

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
April Predictions Score: 3/5 (although I predicted Vikander, for her 'Supporting' nomination)

Supporting Actress
Jennifer Jason Leigh in “The Hateful Eight”
Rooney Mara in “Carol”
Rachel McAdams in “Spotlight”
Alicia Vikander in “The Danish Girl”
Kate Winslet in “Steve Jobs”

I had a feeling Spotlight would overperform by snatching up McAdams.  

Final Predictions Score: 3/5 (but I did predict Vikander, just for the wrong performance)
April Predictions Score: 1/5

Director
“The Big Short” Adam McKay
“Mad Max: Fury Road” George Miller
“The Revenant” Alejandro G. Iñárritu
“Room” Lenny Abrahamson
“Spotlight” Tom McCarthy

Poor, poor Ridley Scott...

Final Predictions Score: 3/5
April Predictions Score: 1/5

Adapted Screenplay
“The Big Short”
“Brooklyn”
“Carol”
“The Martian”
“Room”

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
April Predictions Score: 2/5

Original Screenplay
“Bridge of Spies”
“Ex Machina”
“Inside Out”
“Spotlight”
“Straight Outta Compton”

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
April Predictions Score: 2/5

Animated Film
“Anomalisa”
“Boy and the World”
“Inside Out”
“Shaun the Sheep Movie”
“When Marnie Was There”

Who saw Boy and the World coming?  Oh, right...I did!  Who saw When Marnie Was There coming?  Oh, that's right...I DID!  Who predicted that awful Dinosaur movie to get snubbed?  Once again...ME!

Final Predictions Score: 5/5
April Predictions Score: 1/5

Cinematography
“Carol”
“The Hateful Eight”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Revenant”
“Sicario”

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
April Predictions Score: 2/5

Costume Design
“Carol”
“Cinderella”
“The Danish Girl”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Revenant”

Final Predictions Score: 3/5
April Predictions Score: 2/5

Documentary
“Amy”
“Cartel Land”
“The Look of Silence”
“What Happened, Miss Simone?”
“Winter on Fire: Ukraine’s Fight for Freedom”

Final Predictions Score: 3/5
April Predictions Score: N/A

Documentary Short
“Body Team 12”
“Chau, beyond the Lines”
“Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah”
“A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness”
“Last Day of Freedom”

I didn't predict these...

Film Editing
“The Big Short”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Revenant”
“Spotlight”
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
April Predictions Score: 1/5

Foreign Film
“Embrace of the Serpent”
“Mustang”
“Son of Saul”
“Theeb”
“A War”

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
April Predictions Score: N/A

Makeup & Hairstyling
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared”
“The Revenant”

Final Predictions Score: 3/3
April Predictions Score: 0/3

Original Score
“Bridge of Spies” Thomas Newman
“Carol” Carter Burwell
“The Hateful Eight” Ennio Morricone
“Sicario” Jóhann Jóhannsson
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” John Williams

Final Predictions Score: 3/5
April Predictions Score: 2/5

Original Score
“Earned It” from “Fifty Shades of Grey”
“Manta Ray” from “Racing Extinction”
“Simple Song #3” from “Youth”
“Til It Happens To You” from “The Hunting Ground”
“Writing’s On The Wall” from “Spectre”

WTF...every year it's WTF!

Final Predictions Score: 2/5 (I predicted the wrong 50 Shades song)
April Predictions Score: 2/5 (I predicted a song from 'The Early Years' which was later renamed 'Youth')

Art Direction
“Bridge of Spies”
“The Danish Girl”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Martian”
“The Revenant”

Final Predictions Score: 3/5
April Predictions Score: 1/5

Animated Short
“Bear Story”
“Prologue”
“Sanjay’s Super Team”
“We Can’t Live without Cosmos”
“World of Tomorrow”

I didn't predict these...

Live Action Short
“Ave Maria”
“Day One”
“Everything Will Be Okay (Alles Wird Gut)”
“Shok”
“Stutterer”

I didn't predict these...

Sound Editing
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Martian”
“The Revenant”
“Sicario”
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”

Final Predictions Score: 5/5
April Predictions Score: 1/5

Sound Mixing
“Bridge of Spies”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Martian”
“The Revenant”
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”

Final Predictions Score: 5/5
April Predictions Score: 2/5

Just a side note...I say every year that these Sound categories are just insanely hard to predict for me because I don't always understand the difference...and yet this year I magically went 5/5 in my final predictions for BOTH so...a personal victory!

Visual Effects
“Ex Machina”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Martian”
“The Revenant”
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”

Final Predictions Score: 5/5
April Predictions Score: 1/5

Final Predictions Tally
83/106

April Predictions Tally
28/96

24 comments:

  1. Carol's snubs for Best Picture and Director are disgusting. Really, they nominated Bridge of Spies and The Martian (both very fine but hardly great) over the masterpiece that is Carol? I'm really happy for Rampling, Hardy and Mad Max though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the Carol snub is sad and telling, actually.

      Depressing, truly.

      Delete
  2. I have to say that if Charlotte Rampling hadn't scored a nom I don't think I would have followed the lead up nor watched the ceremony this year, so obviously I'm delighted! It is somewhat bittersweet though what with Alan Rickman's passing yesterday :-( to realize that Hollywood missed the opportunity to hand him so many deserved nominations, thank goodness that now won't be the case for Charlotte. It only took 50 years! but she made it. I'd love to see her ascending the stairs to snatch the award but I'm not expecting it at this point.

    As for the rest delighted that Tom Hardy received a nod even though I haven't seen his film. He's consistently excellent and until now shut out.

    In actor I think Leo is a done deal and as for the rest...thanks for playing.

    I think sentimentality will play in Stallone's favor but since I don't think he's much of an actor I can't say I'm pulling for him. Mark Rylance all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy for Rampling...SO HAPPY!!! She's a treasure. I can't believe this is her first nom, but at least she's now an Oscar nominated actress!

      DiCaprio finally has his Oscar path. He won't miss.

      Delete
  3. Great guess work even for back in April. I just don't get why Ridley Scott is not up there. I didn't know Steve Carell was going for lead actor-that was a mistake. I have not heard any of the songs but will take a listen to them now. Stallone will probably win...ughh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stallone is a frontrunner...but his lack of SAG and BAFTA noms could anoint another frontrunner in his absence. Oscar night will be a nail-biter, for sure.

      Delete
  4. "I hate to say this to you buddy, but I’ll be SHOCKED if (Room) gets even one Oscar nom. I see a Spirit nom for Larson…but that’s all. The film and story look good, but this is probably going to be too dark/small for Oscar." - Fisti on July 30, 2015

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I was waiting for this!

      You made Room your horse this year, and you were certainly onto something. I just didn't see it back then. It felt way too small, but then it came out and made a huge splash and now look. I'm truly shocked with the Director nom, I'm not going to lie. BP and Adapted Screenplay were certainly within reach and were not shocking...but Director seemed like an real stretch and it pulled it off.

      Larson doesn't have anything standing in her way now, honestly. She's got that Oscar in the bag.

      Congratulations on sticking to your gut on this one. I really, truly thought that your bullish prediction was going to blow up in your face, but I was wrong.

      Crow is what is on the menu for dinner tonight!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I knew you'd be happy with that one.

      Delete
    2. Dude my scream when I saw that was PRIMAL

      Delete
  6. These choices for Best Song are shit. I only heard 2 of these and I don't wanna hear the rest. I'm now feeling like Marvin the Paranoid Android and I don't think I can go through another day to think of a world w/o Bowie, Lemmy, and Snape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Manta Ray song is...I have no words for what that is.

      Delete
  7. I love the Room love. I love The Big Short love. I love the Tom Hardy love. And the cinematography and screenplay categories are perfect. I think they got a lot right this year. Ridley Scott had to be right on the edge, same as Todd Haynes, but I like where the Academy went with that category, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so bad for Ridley. I mean, he seemed like a frontrunner, and he's the kind of director I really wish had that Oscar...even if I wasn't a huge fan of The Martian. I'd have been OK with his win this year. Alas...it isn't his time yet.

      Delete
  8. Good job with your picks! There's a few things I hate this year, 3/5 of the Supporting Actor line up, Lawrence, no Ultron for visual effects, but I have to say I'm very happy with the rest.

    Poor Arlo, at least your son's toy will live another day. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Arlo lives to see another day! That should be my mantra.

      Delete
  9. I was generally pleased with these nominees. The only ones I really could've lived without are Redmayne, Lawrence, and "Writing's On The Wall." (I'm getting quite tired of this J-Law love tbh)

    I LOVE the Hardy nom! I'm so glad I got that one right. Also, Rampling!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah, I've stuck with Hardy since April. I've never doubted his nom. It was inevitable.

      Delete
  10. Great job! Haha, I need to see how poorly I did with my April predictions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested to see how you did too.

      Delete