Monday, October 12, 2015

That awkward moment…


…when you realize that your best friend is a psycho.  That happened to me this past weekend.  As I lounged in bed in a Las Vegas hotel room with my best friend (who surprised me with the trip Friday afternoon with a, “pack a bag, our plane leaves in three hours”), nursing a hangover and sipping a beer, we decided to watch a movie.  What we decided to watch was ‘Creep’…and as my best friend laughed and laughed and laughed I realized he was laughing because he knew that I knew that he knew this movie was about our friendship.  Every single thing that Josef does, my best friend has done (like, I’m not even joking…there is a comparison for EVERYTHING, including Peachfuzz) and will continue to do.  In fact, he literally pretended to stab me during the closing credits just to see that split second look in my eyes where I look like I want to kill him, because, as he noted, that was his favorite part of the film.  And I did jump, the same way I jumped about three weeks ago when he walked out of his bedroom with a shotgun and shot me…with a blank, but he shot me nonetheless, and for a split second I actually thought I was dead.

Why?  Why did I jump, when I’ve been best friends with this man for five years and I swear nothing he does surprises me?  I jumped because of that very reality.  Nothing surprises me…even the idea of him killing me.

OF COURSE I don’t think he’d kill me.  Like, I know he wouldn’t, at least I think I know, but you know…there is always that deeply buried thought that maybe, just maybe, he really is as crazy as he tells you he is.

And now Mark Duplass and Patrick Brice are also trying to tell me he’s crazy, and I’m a little worried.



Alright, so enough about the bestie, let’s talk about this film.  ‘Creep’ was made for about $80 (I have no idea how much this film was made for, but honestly I could have made this film for free since the bestie already has a go-pro and he likes to film everything we do…oh…wait…there’s a comparison right there) but it’s $80 that feel like gold because this movie makes you feel everything.  I hope that entire $80 went to Mark Duplass, because he gives a performance that had me so unnerved and so internally conflicted that I am still riled from it.  Every ounce of uncomfortable terror that one can find in a film is found in this one.  The reality of the fact that this could very well happen (and probably has) helps create a sense of realism that a lot of big budget horror films don’t have.  I believed every second of this.  I completely understood how this could happen. 

As I looked over at him, his big blue eyes staring right through me, I knew that I’d sit on a park bench for him if he asked me to (obviously because I’m the best person in the whole world).


I can’t even get into this movie with you.  Like, how can I without spoiling the whole thing?  Um, Aaron is a videographer who answers a Craigslist ad (already a bad sign) for a one-day job involving a video camera.  Aaron doesn’t know who he’s meeting and the ad asked him to be discreet, so he doesn’t tell anyone what he’s doing.   He drives out to this desolate mountain home where he meets Josef, and things get really weird.  Can I say more?  I shouldn’t.  Just watch this and see for yourself, for going in blind is half the terror.


When the movie ended, after the fake stabbing, we decided to sleep off the rest of the hangover before we caught our plane ride home.  We had already spent two nights living it up and we’re old now so that was more than enough so we rolled over and proceeded to get some shut-eye.  It was then that the bestie pushed himself up against me and whispered into my ear, “You’re my favorite”.  Within a few minutes he was snoring.  That is when I took my leave and spent the rest of the afternoon turning my hangover into inebriation in the bar downstairs.


But here's the kicker; he's my favorite too.

34 comments:

  1. FANTASTIC.

    I mostly have (many) questions about the dynamic between you and your friend (like, really?), but I'll just settle for...YES. F--k yes, in fact. So stoked that you liked this movie, too. I've been recommending it to just about everyone I come across.

    Like a psychopath.

    Duplass is/was incredible. This is a planned trilogy of some kind...but no way they top this. No way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I'll have to email you. Like, it's every bit as effed up as you think it is...but not that effed up, if that makes sense.

      Yes, he's crazy.

      And I almost included that this was a trilogy...but hit publish before I remembered and then I couldn't think of where to fit that in...but yeah, I don't see how they top this, but I hope they do because that would be awesome.

      Like I said on Twitter...Duplass for EVERY AWARD!!!

      Delete
  2. I rarely watch any mumblecore films but this one sounds oddly interesting.
    I'll definitely see it when I get the chance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what 'mumblecore' means, but this movie needs to be seen! Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

      Delete
  3. Mark Duplass is my baby!
    I can't believe you watched pay per view in Vegas though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...better...we streamed it off Netflix on his laptop.

      It was cosier that way :-D

      Delete
  4. Had the day off today, and literally just finished watching this minutes ago. So, of course the first thing I see on my blogroll is this post. Reading this review...wow. I'm now scared for you. Very weird, and unsettling film, but I'm still processing what the hell I just watched. I know that I liked it, though. Going to try and put my own review together before the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, so glad you liked this and even that you're worried for me :-D

      He really is my favorite, so it's all good. I mean, he's absolutely crazy, but he's like the best person ever.

      Can't wait to read your review.

      Delete
  5. Oh...not sure I will watch this movie-sounds very scary...as does your best friend. I mean-wonderful that he took you away for a weekend to have fun which you probably needed but creepy with his antics. Then again, I think you might like it since he is your best friend:)...just sleep with one eye open

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and this is the best kind of scary because it's actually unnerving...like...it's so real it's scary.

      Delete
  6. I think I'll add this to my growing list of films that aren't on any of my lists that I should probably make time to see. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I would have never heard about this had it not been for fellow bloggers stumbling upon it and recommending it, so I'm glad to part of that circle now. I hope you get a chance to take it in. It's only an hour and seventeen minutes and it's streaming on Netflix, so it's a quick and easy watch.

      Delete
  7. Your bestie sounds like that classic friend (I've had a few in my life) that gives you sense that an arrest or hospital visit may be just around the corner, yet you can't help but stick around because it's just so fucking fun. This movie sounds like something I wouldn't like, but Mark Duplass is in it, so....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DUDE...the stories I could tell you (and I should...I have your email), but yes...arrest...that almost happened...like, 15 cop cars and a lot of awkward silence.

      You must watch this!

      Delete
  8. Ha, great story! This one is on my list. Duplass is one of those inconsistent filmmakers/writers for me who does something amazing but has me scratching my head the next. Nice twist on a review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, Duplass clearly has talent. He wrote and starred in this (Brice co-stars and directed), and his acting here is insane. One of those performances that will continue to haunt me.

      Delete
  9. I'm unsettled by your review. I'm a bit scared for you now if your bestie is reading your blog.
    I really wanna see this film now. (Why no grade?) It really sounds...creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, to be honest...if my bestie saw this review, he'd be flattered.

      Delete
  10. Urgghhhh why are you making me want to actually watch these horror movies?!? I'm a real sucker for these 'less you know the better movies' and I'm seriously considering putting on my big girl panties and giving this a go!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT!

      The film is nuts because it kind of plays out like a comedy for the first half before all the 'funny' stuff starts to unveil itself as terrifying.

      Delete
  11. OMG Your bestie. That was hysterical and so appropriate for this review. I'm glad you liked it. I didn't realize it was part of a proposed trilogy though. I completely missed that. This will be hard to top for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly could not have planned this better. Like, I knew I was going to eventually see this because of you and Mario practically telling me I needed to...but to watch it with him (completely unaware of what this film was about) was priceless. We had a very long discussion on the plane ride home about this.

      I think he even filmed some of it.

      Delete
  12. You're such a good reviewer Drew! I hadn't even given this movie a thought but you managed to make me curious. I've only seen Mark Duplass in Safety Not Guaranteed which was a pleasant surprise for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth!

      Yeah, this is a very different performance from Duplass...and he's terrifying in all the best ways. I hope you check it out!

      Delete
  13. I'm not sure what's creepier - the film or your review. ;)

    Duplass nails it. Fingers crossed for a Fisti nom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...

      And I have a strong feeling he will. I have so much left to see...but Duplass gives the kind of performance that is hard to shake and felt so naturally constructed and delivered that I have a hard time thinking he'll miss my ballot.

      Delete
  14. Oh. Dear. God. Now I am insanely curious about the dynamics between you and your BFF.

    I thought this movie was terrific. Most movies don't surprise me much, but this one kept me guessing. And you could tell these two guys had a great time making this crazy little film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had so much fun...they're making two more!

      Delete
  15. Dude is that opening real? Because if so .... :/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Also I'm just gonna state - whoever left a comment here and not mentioned this opening paragraph didn't read this post, just dropped a comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...four of these commenters have some splainin' to do!

      Delete
  17. ha ha... i think your description of your friendship is way more interesting than this movie! I'm a little afraid of your friend so I won't say anything negative here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I almost want to show him this post just to see how big his head gets over all the attention!

      Delete