Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Trailer Break: The Danish Girl


Is your body ready?  Eddie Redmayne's is.  Listen, I'm going to level with you all here.  I am NOT a fan of Eddie Redmayne's Oscar win last year, not because Michael Keaton was so much better (I don't even nominate Keaton), and not even because Redmayne whored himself out for an Oscar, but I'm not a fan because his performance was emotionally vacant and undeserving of an Oscar.  It was a gimmick.  I don't hate Redmayne or find him devoid of talent (I've nominated him once before).  I don't care what anyone does in their personal life...what I care about is what they do in front (or behind) that camera, and what he did wasn't impressive to me.

This looks impressive.

He delivers more emotional character development in this trailer than he did in the entirety of The Theory of Everything, and Vikander looks incredible as well.  I'm all in for this.  It looks visually captivating, and emotionally stirring, and it's so topical and poignant and pretty much everything that everyone is talking about right now.

Oscar bait?  Yes.  

Worthy of our attention?  Yes.

Now, I've been saying this all year, and this trailer didn't change it for me.  Eddie Redmayne is easily the frontrunner for the Oscar this year, and unless this gets universal pans and he's nominated on gimmick alone, I don't see him losing.  Sure, Don Cheadle or Leonardo DiCaprio could make a play, especially if their performances receive raves and their 'dueness' becomes a real narrative this year, but this performance/character/subject seems really, really ripe to snag Redmayne the gold.

I just hope he's truly deserving this year.

26 comments:

  1. http://40.media.tumblr.com/870cc130b7ab64413c9dcb838fe1bfda/tumblr_nd7eq3a3691te2j4wo6_500.png

    ReplyDelete
  2. This film does sound intriguing and I, too, feel the same about Eddie Redmayne and felt his Oscar win was sad for so many reasons. he didn't deserve it tops the list. It will be interesting to see him in this for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He actually looks great here, so I'm all in.

      Delete
  3. I truly hope this lives up to the hype. I'm especially curious about Eddie Redmayne. But one thing I find pretty perplexing is that Alicia Vikander is being pushed for Supporting, but it looks like more of a lead role. I mean, her name is above the title on the posters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I'm not banking on her following through with a Supporting Actress campaign. They could fraud her, but there is no reason she can't get in with a Lead campaign since she looks VERY baity and the film is through her eyes, her story, to be honest. She's had a banging year and AMPAS usually supports that, so she should be a very easy Lead nom.

      Delete
    2. Yeah. Sometimes they do see through category fraud (Keisha Castle-Hughes), but...other times they don't (Al Pacino in The Godfather, Julia Roberts in August: Osage County, Jennifer Connelly, etc.)

      Delete
    3. Yeah, if the studio sticks to their Supporting guns, it could happen, but I kind of feel like they'll change their minds and switch her to Lead, since she can very easily get in based on the year she's having.

      Delete
  4. Here's my response.... http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/077/691/Jim-Cornette-fuck-this-company.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what the future holds as far as Lead Actor performances are concerned. You're more of the expert at seeing Oscar futures, but this looks like a bait-y piece of British blah, though, I have to be honest: Looks like Hooper has upped his game, as far as pretty goes. If Redmayne wins back-to-back Oscars, I'm gonna lose my shit. Alicia Vikander...I want her! Girl's fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually thought that looked really, really good, but I'm also really intrigued by this story...and how else are you supposed to tell it? I mean, this is a period piece about a woman who was born a man...this looks like Laurence Anyways: The Merchant Ivory Production, and those are two of my favorite things!

      Delete
    2. I was half kidding really. This really does look quite lovely. And the story is intriguing (and timely). I'll definitely be seeing it. Not a fan of Redmayne's win last year for sure. Right with you that one. But he's got some chops.

      Delete
    3. He really does have acting chops, and he seems so perfect for this particular role, so I'm excited to see where he takes this.

      Delete
  6. Redmayne looks very good here, he might get a nomination for this one. I'm looking forward to watching the film; I hope it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to this, and I'd better be because I accidentally got tickets to TWO screenings of it at TIFF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I hope it's worth the double feature.

      Delete
  8. I think this looks great, and I can't wait to snark on the Redmayne thirst this year. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be happy to snark at his thirst, but I'll be even happier if he deserves his inevitable Oscar!

      Delete
    2. Since you're a big Elle Fanning fan, I wonder how About Ray will play into Oscar season this year with The Danish Girl already being a seemingly big front runner? (buzz wise anyways) Does the Academy have room for two trans movies? They didn't when Transamerica and Breakfast on Pluto were released the same year.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I'm pretty sure About Ray isn't happening. The director has already made some questionable comments that have offended the trans community, and so unless one of the actors gets RAVED reviews, I'm pretty sure the film is going nowhere with Oscar.

      Delete
    4. I need to look for that now, I didn't realize it was at TIFF this year until today.

      Delete
    5. Apparently she said something about referring to Ray as a girl, because she was a girl trying to be herself, and the whole not using the male pronoun has caused a bit of a stir.

      Delete
  9. It looks promising, but I've heard Vikander is the real star. I'm still gonna be bummed if Redmayne beats people like DiCaprio, Fassbender, and even Depp to a SECOND Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I'm reading, the film itself doesn't look very strong. Redmayne doesn't seem like he's getting the raves needed to sweep this race, so I have a feeling this could be DiCaprio's if The Revenant comes on strong.

      Delete