Friday, August 7, 2015

The Film Emotion Blogathon!


Connor over at Conman at the Movies is hosting his first blogathon, and it's a fun one!  The basic concept for the blogathon was inspired by Pixar's latest masterpiece, Inside Out, and since I'm a HUGE FAN of the film, I couldn't help but feel compelled to play along, despite my busy schedule.

Here are the rules:

1.) Pick five films to represent the five emotions in Inside Out. The criteria for choosing these films is listed below. I would be willing to allow a tie, if you couldn’t decide between two films to best represent one of the emotions.
2.) Write out five paragraphs, (one for each film) talking about the movies and why you chose them.
3.) Post them on your blog (or Tumblr or whatever).
4.) Send me the link by posting it here in the comments.
Connor breaks down what he's looking for with each specific emotion as well.  Basically:

Joy: A film that makes you happy
Sadness: A film that made you cry A LOT
Fear: A film that gave you nightmares
Anger: A film you hate with a passion
Disgust: A film that left an awful feeling in your stomach

So, let's get right into this!




Alright, so I've talked on here a few times about how, unfortunately, there was a time when the wife and I were...not so together.  In fact, we separated for a few months about six years ago now.  During that time, alone in a house, I had nothing to do but hate myself.  Self-pity is consuming.  I know, this doesn't sound very joyful.  Well, to be honest, the one way I found to help bolster my spirits was to lose myself in cinema, and the one place I went was the 30's screwball comedy.  It was a new genre to me, but one I devoured.  My favorite of all the 30's classics I enjoyed was, quite easily, The Smiling Lieutenant.  This delightful musical from 1931 is just a complete JOY from start to finish.  The performances are so charismatic and charming and the whole feel is just so uplifting and it was just what the doctor ordered.  The idea of finding your soulmate in a place that feels, on the outset, like an ill-fit was everything I needed to hear.


You want to see a grown man cry?  Put on this movie.  I mean, if you want to see THIS grown man cry, you can pretty much pick any movie since I'm nearly always an emotional wreck, but Grave of the Fireflies is a movie that will melt the coldest of hearts and pretty much reduce any living, breathing human being to a puddle.  One of the films that actually had me crying so hard I couldn't see the movie through the tears and shaking so hard I woke up a sleeping wife; this animated film relays the horrible atrocities of war in such a way that your heart and soul is literally destroyed.


Terror is something that is felt a lot when you're a child.  It's the absolute unknowingness that gets you.  You're so new to everything, and so everything seems that much more...possible.  I'll never forget the first time I saw Psycho.  I actually didn't even see the whole movie...just the shower scene.  I was around 8 years old and the family was at Universal Studios and we went on a little tour called Alfred Hitchcock and the Art of Making Movies.  Yeah...on this little tour they have you sit in an auditorium and watch them re-enact the famous scene on a stage with props and audience participation and, at 8, I was scarred.  I was so scarred that I literally could not take a shower alone in a room for months.  AND WE WERE ON VACATION SO WE WERE STAYING IN A HOTEL!!!  The fear was real.


This one keeps coming up lately.  Maybe I'm just way off base here, but I can't think of many movies that made me this ANGRY!  First, the situation is one that riles me right off the bat (kidnapped children), but this is about movies we hate and I LOATHE THIS STUPID, STUPID MOVIE!!!  I've never seen a film with such a silly, preposterous, stupidly layered script filled with such stupid characters doing such stupid things over and over and over again.  UGH!

End rant.


So, this was kind of left up to interpretation, but I decided to chose a film that literally made me feel that disgust in the pit of my stomach, and this film is one of the first times I had that.  You know, the feeling where you are so frustrated, distraught, disgusted even, with what the people on the screen are doing that you are nearly shaking...or maybe you are shaking.  Yeah, that happened to me with this one (and it's a true story).  People can be heartless when they feel righteously indignant about a situation, but haste and rage can lead to pure atrocities.  This is one of those cases.  It made me hate people.  HATE THEM.  Oh, and Dana Andrews for every Oscar ever.

30 comments:

  1. PRISONERS FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, what a great idea for a blogathon! I'm gonna try to participate though I've just signed up for Dell's blogathon, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can throw something together for this one too!

      Delete
  3. I have not seen Prisoners but heard it was supposed to be good except from your blog:) I agree with you about the Ox-Bow Incident because that did put a sick stone in my stomach. I would also pick Paths of Glory for this one also. The movie I hate with a passion is In the Bedroom. Ugh boring, long, boring....don't get me started. Singing In the Rain always put a smile on my face. When I am lonely or down that movie makes me feel really quite good. (I have not seen The Smiling Lieutenant). The film that makes me cry is any film with an animal in it like Old Yeller. Even Lassie Come Home, with the dog limping to his young master makes me well up. The film that gives me the creeps-there are so many but The Shining with those freaky girls-I am shuddering just thinking about them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is an elite group of us who fully understand just how incredibly stupid an awful Prisoners is. We are few, but we are right.

      :-P

      I won't speak of In the Bedroom with you again. I'll hold that conversation for when I post the 2001 Fisti Awards. LOL!

      I hope you can catch The Smiling Lieutenant. It is such pure joy, like, the purest of joy!!!

      The Shining is scary as @#&%!

      Delete
  4. oooooooooooooooooooh I like this idea... which is bad, because I have this project I've been working on for the blog that I keep putting off (it's a list) and I NEED to do that, not this!

    I remember going to Universal Studios and they had something similar to the Alfred Hitchcock thing, except the scene they did was from Muder, She Wrote. My Dad was picked from the audience to make the sound of two people kissing. So we were all mortified to begin with, but then he goes COMPLETELY over the top with the sounds, and we all started sinking in our seats.

    I completely understand why people don't like Prisoners, but I thought it was made incredibly well. People can lose all sense of logic in situations like that, so I gave it some slack and was pinned to my seat the whole way through. It was some dark, depressing shit, though. Actually, that movie could be my pick for Disgust, as by the end I was kind of nauseated lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether you participate here or not, the most important thing is that you POST MORE ON YOUR BLOG! You need to!

      Also, your Universal story is kind of amazing!

      Delete
  5. I just got back from vacation - I would have replied sooner. Thank you thank you thank you for participating in my blogathon. It truly means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an intriguing idea! Haven’t (and probably won’t) see Inside Out although I’m sure like Frozen I’ll see bits and pieces endlessly when it comes out on DVD and my nieces and nephew have it on an endless loop. But I like the inspiration it provided.

    Great choices of the ones I’m familiar with, haven’t seen Grave of the Fireflies. Could not agree more about Prisoners!!!!!! God I hate, hated that movie for precisely the reasons you give. The Ox-Bow Incident is a soul crusher and such a beautifully stark film. Dana Andrews, a shamefully underappreciated performer, does give the most amazingly intricate performance and his lack of a nomination is appalling, even more so when you realize he was never given a nod for any of his work throughout his career. He wouldn’t have been my pick this year, the equally underrated Jack Carson in The Hard Way is my choice, but he is profoundly moving.

    I had a bit of trouble coming up with one choice but the others came immediately to mind when I read the emotion they were supposed to represent.

    Joy-Woman’s World (1954)-A big, lush, shiny soap opera set during a corporate power struggle this is full of talented actors wearing beautiful clothes in expensive sleek settings and trading clever occasionally humorous dialogue. It has very little connection to reality but whether I’m happy or blue when I start by the time I’m done watching this delicious concoction I feel completely satisfied.
    Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is another movie that turns the same trick.

    Sadness-It’s My Party (1996)-I’m not a crier so this was the one that was tough for me but this film did me in when I saw it in the theatre. Even though by the very nature of the story I knew the ending from the very beginning of the film I was so engaged by the lead character that when the final scene came it was devastating and can still knock me for a loop to this day.

    Fear-When a Stranger Calls (1979)-My cousin and I went into this without a lot of foreknowledge of the plot. She was heavily pregnant at the time and desperate to get out of the house and see a movie and this one was starting the soonest so in we walked, lambs to the slaughter as it were. The movie is flabby in the middle but to me has the most tension filled first and last 15 minutes of any one I can think of, so intense that in a particularly taut moment my cousin was so scared that the baby jumped and made her scream! For weeks after I couldn’t go to sleep at night until I had checked that all the closets were empty and the doors firmly shut.

    Anger-Billy’s Hollywood Screen Kiss (1998)-I don’t like to be cheated or deceived at any time, who does, but when watching a movie it makes my blood boil! This so called romantic comedy spends almost the entire movie leading the audience down the garden path that its two leads are headed to a great realization that they belong together only to have the rug pulled out from under them in the last few minutes and have them go off with characters we’ve never seen before!! A dirty cheat of a film I was spitting nails when I left the theatre and too this day when I think about the film I feel my bile rising. GGGRRRRRRRRRR

    Disgust-Sophie’s Choice (1982)-I think everybody knows what the choice is by now and the film is a grindingly sad study of man’s inhumanity to man. Perhaps because when I saw the film I had determinedly remained as uninformed as possible it hit me especially hard. I felt depleted at the end, full of disgust for all the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of your pics, I've only seen Sophie's Choice...and YES...that choice KILLED ME. Like you, I didn't know it was coming. I had no idea what I was in store for...and it made me sick. Depleted is a great word for that feeling.

      Delete
  7. Great post! As I've said many times, you're a great writer, and I love the fact that you share so much of yourself in your essays and reviews. Grave of the Fireflies is one of those movies I've never been able to bring myself to watch; I know it will devastate me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the sweetest! Thank you so much. Grave of the Fireflies is NOT an easy watch, but it's such an important film.

      Delete
    2. Alas, I am such a wimp. I can handle horror films, gore, and all that stuff. (Though I sometimes close my eyes during the really bloody bits.) But the heartbreaking stuff kills me. :-)

      Delete
    3. Oh, I completely understand that.

      Delete
  8. It's funny because I loved Prisoners when I first saw it, yet I could never watch it again. Probably because it's a real bummer of a film. Great choice for Fear, though! The scene where Martin Balsam walks up the stairs gets me every single time.

    I actually just started my own first blogathon in case you're interested:

    http://filmguyreviews.blogspot.com/2015/08/oscar-re-do-blogathon.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Matt! I would love to participate, but it really just depends on how swamped I get with the move. If I can find the time, I will most definitely put something together for your blogathon!

      Delete
    2. Understandable. I just wanted to at least get the word out there.

      Delete
    3. Absolutely no problem, and I will do my best to play along :-D

      Delete
  9. You picked Grave of the Fireflies too! One of the few films that make me sob like a baby, yet I love it for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is a remarkable film. Heartbreaking...crushing...but remarkable!

      Delete
  10. Cool idea for a blogathon! I may have to join in. Prisoners was such a disappointment! It had such a great cast and the plot failed them all on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO
      MANY
      LEVELS!

      I hope you get a chance to play along!

      Delete
  11. Wow, you've really got some great pro-con Prisoners riots going on in here.
    Obviously great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks! Apparently it's a very divisive film.

      Delete
  12. Great stuff, buddy! Love all of these, even Prisoners. :P

    ReplyDelete