Thursday, July 2, 2015

Theatrical conversations of bipolar lovers and their semi-retarded conscience…


Liv Ullmann.  What a tremendous actress.  She was the muse of the great auteur Ingmar Bergman, and she earned that status by repeatedly delivering complex and shattering performances in films like Face to Face, Scenes from a Marriage, Autumn Sonata and Persona.  She is, without question, one of the greatest actresses who ever walked the earth.

Did you know she’s also a director?

Yeah, I knew this, and yet I still haven’t seen any of her work (she’s only directed 3 feature films, a segment in another film, a documentary and a television movie), until now.  Yes, my introduction to the world of Liv Ullmann ‘the director’ was with this little-seen (or is it just widely ignored) adaptation of ‘Miss Julie’.

I prefer Liv Ullmann ‘the actress’.



When ‘Miss Julie’ arrived in the mail, my wife and I were both pretty excited.  We are both big fans of Colin Farrell.  My wife has been impressed with Jessica Chastain, or at least what she’s heard of her talent (my wife has actually only seen Chastain in ‘The Help’ and ‘The Tree of Life’, and she fell asleep five minutes into Malick’s film so she probably doesn’t even remember that Chastain was in it).  I adore Samantha Morton (she really should be in everything) and of course, as I mentioned, I’m a giant fan of Ullmann.  Throw them all in a period piece, add sexual tension and the promise of romantic angst and you have our attention.

You had our attention, until you lost it.

I have many, many issues with this film that all really seem to blur into one gigantic problem.  This is my first encounter with the story as well, so maybe I’ll take issue with every version of the story as well (I have the 1951 Sjoberg version on my DVR at the moment), but I’m holding out hope that Ullmann just messed up royally, because I see so much potential squandered.


My problem, as my review title suggests, is that these characters are so incredibly unstable and unbearably tonally challenged that the whole film feels like absolute ridiculousness.  The unabashed scenery chewing is so aggressive and in-your-face that it strips away any real character development and presents to an audience a barrage of ‘emotions’ with no actual substance.  There is no connection or chemistry between any of these actors and so all their actions feel forced and unauthentic.  Chastain is abysmal here, yelling and heaving and clutching things and then trying her hardest to be all ‘stern and commanding’ and coming off like a child playing house.  She isn’t convincing at all, and in many instances she’s just downright embarrassing.  Farrell fares better, but the way his character is handled is baffling.  He appears innocently manipulated and then completely taken over by unexplained or really perplexed passions and then conniving and heartless, and then back and forth and back and forth again.  It was like his character completely changed with each passing scene.  And then you have poor Samantha Morton, who lingers in each scene like an unwanted step-child, sulking in the background with her downtrodden expression that gives the appearance of a woman with severe mental problems.  The fact that Farrell is probably the best he’s ever looked in the film, and Morton is at her absolute frumpiness, doesn’t help this situation, since their ‘love’ never appears genuine.  It’s not like Chastain looks any better (like, hot mess, for real), but the attractions are just unbelievable all around.


This all makes for a film, story, whatever, that I couldn’t honestly care less about.  I wanted to, but I believed nothing and by the time it was through I was really hoping that a massive fire was going to break out and everyone was going to die.

Oh, and I know I fell asleep during part of this, because my wife told me something about gangsters, and I have no idea what she’s talking about, but I have no desire to watch this again and find out.

When this ended, my wife said to me that this was the worst movie she’s ever seen.  I’m almost obliged to agree with her.


F.

14 comments:

  1. Where the hell did this movie come from? lol I don't think I've heard anything about it until now. I love this review though, and the title of it is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, 'where the hell did this movie come from?' would have also made a pretty appropriate title!

      Delete
  2. That bad, huh? Don't even remembering hearing about this before. I guess there's a good reason for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember buzz for this when it was filming (I mean, Chastain and Ullmann pairing with this famed material seemed like gold) but it was pretty much universally panned and forgotten...for a reason.

      Delete
  3. Oh my...that's not good. I like all the actors and Liv Ullman but I think I shall stay clear of this one

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea Liv Ullmann directed this. I adore Chastain [and I agree about Morton who's so grossly underrated] but I have no desire to see this now. Plus I'm kinda tired of seeing Farrell in everything, even if you said he looks good here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's sex on a stick in this movie, like...so hot...and I have no qualms with seeing him in everything...but this movie is not something I'd wish on anyone.

      Delete
  5. I saw the 1951 version for my Cannes marathon last May. I do want to see this for the cast and for Liv Ullmann though I have heard it wasn't that great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to have a different reaction to the 51 version than to this one.

      Delete
  6. Chastain is in general overrated as fuck. Doing nothing in Lawless, less than nothing in Zero Dark Thirty, and my God Interstellar. So I'm not surprised. What is surprising is that someone cast Morton as Farrel's love interst? She could be playing his mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you on Chastain. I've noted a few times that I don't understand the draw. She had a great 2011, I'll give her that, but since she's done nothing I particularly care for. Her work in ZDT was awful, and I really liked the movie!

      Morton, on the other hand, is a tremendous actress who is being squandered, unfortunately. I can only pray she gets the right role soon that will change all that.

      Delete
  7. Haha, I think I gave this a C-, which was probably too kind. It never felt authentic or cohesive, and the actors....well, they tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not quite sure what they were trying to do, though :-P

      Delete