Monday, July 6, 2015

A Fistful of Thoughts...about talking asses, shattered dreams, piqued interest and the murderer of love!


I missed last week due to a crappy weekend and made my Monday feel like hell, but I'm back this week due to a nicely paced and refreshing weekend of relaxation and fun to talk to you about a bunch of stuff (some of which I had lined up for last week) in this week's episode of A Fistful of Thoughts!

We got some juicy stuff to talk about!



First, I'm sure you all know about the death of love that happened last week.  Yes, Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner are getting a divorce.  I know all the rumors, and one can only look at Affleck and kind of get the idea that he's, well, not always the most faithful (and we of course know about his drinking and gambling issues), but I've always loved this couple.  They seemed to fit together.  They had a beautiful family, and they felt like a real couple, and so this news kind of sucks.  From what I read, they are ending things amicably, so at least there isn't some terrible tension and seething going on, but I rooted for them, so this one stings.

You know what doesn't sting?  News that Claire Denis (one of the greatest female directors out there) is making a new movie.  A lot of foreign directors are making their English language debuts, and she has her eyes set on an interesting one.  Apparently, she wants to go into space with a sci-fi script co-penned by Zadie Smith, the author of White Teeth.  I'm all for more intimately scoped sci-fi, because it's a genre that doesn't often get a lot of 'depth', so this has me completely intrigued.  It's so not what I'd expect from a filmmaker like Denis, but I'm sure the results will be rewarding!

Has anyone read White Teeth?  I'm interested to know how the Denis/Smith pairing looks to those familiar with the author.

Back to stuff that stings, in an interview (conversation...whatever) with Goldie Hawn, former Disney CEO, Michael Eisner stated:
“From my position, the hardest artist to find is a beautiful, funny woman. By far. They usually – boy am I going to get in trouble, I know this goes online – but usually, unbelievably beautiful women, you being an exception, are not funny."

Um, no.  I can name a slew of beautiful women who are also quite hilarious, right off the top of my head.  Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Aniston, Rose Byrne, Kirsten Dunst, Emma Stone, Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore; hell, even actresses like Scarlett Johansson have shown impeccable comedic timing.  A statement like that is just...ridiculous, and when we've had such a great year showcasing women and bringing to the fore their strengths in the industry, this feels so tacky and inappropriate.

Moving on; have you guys heard about the horrible decline that was Jake Lloyd?  This is so tragic, but I'm sure that like myself, you haven't thought about this name or that face since 1999, but with the recent Star Wars on the horizon, his story has made frontpage news.  Since he starred as young Anakin, his life went downhill.  You'd think being a kid and starring in one of the biggest reboots of all time would be a good thing, but when that said reboot fails critically, you get verbally assassinated by your peers and it can bring you to a very dark place.  With the recent news that he's been arrested after physically assaulting his mother and crashing his car into a tree, it appears that he's back in the news for all the wrong reasons.  I feel for this kid guy.  Child stars have it rough, but when you star in something as highly anticipated as Star Wars...and your director lets you down...it's hard when you take so much heat for it.  A kid can't recover well from something like that.


You know what I might not recover well from?  My review of Selma, but with that behind me (like, Friday behind me) it's time to talk about MLK once more since news just broke that HBO is planning to make another MLK/LBJ flick, this time starring Anthony Mackie and Bryan Cranston.  I don't think I'm ok with this.  I most likely won't see it, since I don't get HBO and very rarely watch television movies, but Oyelowo and Wilkinson were so good in their roles, and their performances are so fresh, that this just feels like a bad idea.  I doesn't help that these two feel so horribly miscast.

Thoughts?

Also...

This Is What I'll Be Reading Today
Anna compares Testament of Youth (book vs. movie)
Britt reviews a bunch of stuff
Getter talks about ten movies she wants to see
Allie needs wedding movie ideas
Ruth has her 5 for the Fifth up
Matt announces his Film Guy Awards
Steven is starting his 150 Favorite Films (that isn't Lost in Translation)
David discusses that moment in 8 Mile
Birgit gives us her 10 Favorite Female Characters (TV & Film)

I'd also like my readers to please take a moment to stop by and send their love to Mario over at Two Dollar Cinema.  He lost his cousin and close friend to cancer last week, and we all know that in times like this it's nice to know we have people who are there for us.  Hang in there, buddy.

36 comments:

  1. I heard about that new science fiction project. I haven't seen anything of hers so far, but the fact that we are apparently getting a female director and a female screenwriter teaming up for what has often been a male-dominated genre seems like good news. I hope this new film turns out to be something amazing, since that could potentially help other women interested in science fiction.

    Did someone in 2015 seriously claim that beautiful women can't be funny? What immediately springs to mind is the ENTIRE CAREER of Madeline Kahn, which suggests that this guy has clearly never seen a Mel Brooks film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you on the female perspective in a sci-fi flick, and Denis has such a great perspective (such human dissection), so I'm really anxious to see what she does.

      Delete
  2. That Eisner statement is just purely stupid but contemporarily and historically. Goldie's own daughter Kate Hudson is a decent comic actress and being almost a carbon copy of her mother I'd say she's a looker, aside from the ones you already mentioned.

    Julia Louis Dreyfuss is another. Cybill Shepard had her biggest success in comedy. Going further back there's many examples, Sharon Tate's best notices came from her comedy performances in her regrettably brief career and she was a stunning creature. Lucille Ball was a glamour girl before she downplayed her looks for I Love Lucy and Carole Lombard, who Lucy said was the funniest woman she ever knew, was the top comedienne in film during the 30's and early 40's and she was breathtaking. That's just a few off the top of my head, so a foolish, specious remark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, right! I mean, he's looking at the mother of a pretty funny hot chick! His head is somewhere it shouldn't be, obviously.

      Delete
    2. I had to drop back with another comment about that idiot thing that Eisner said. By chance I stumbled across Soapdish earlier today with the brilliant comic performances from Sally Field, Cathy Moriarty, Elisabeth Shue and Terri Hatcher all of whom are knockouts in one way or another and extremely gifted funny women and was struck again by how moronic he sounded.

      One other tidbit that I meant to include about Sharon Tate. Did you know she was the inspiration for Malibu Barbie? And the movie role that provided that motivation was...her comedic performance in Don't Make Waves (her character's name is Malibu! and the doll's swimsuit is a replica of the one she wears in the movie) and for which she received some of the film's only good notices, although her best comedic work was in the next year's Matt Helm movie The Wrecking Crew. Unfortunately she wasn't alive to know any of that though.

      Delete
    3. Soapdish is a goldmine of comedic talent, and most (if not all) of that talent is FEMALE!

      Delete
  3. Great read Andrew as always. Jake Lloyd is a rough story. That guy just can't get it together it seems. That crack about unfunny attractive women is just insane in this day in age. Sad really. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I feel for Lloyd. It's just a downward, burning, descent for him.

      Delete
  4. That guy over at Disney is an idiot. Joel is right-Carole Lombard, Lucille Ball, Myrna Loy(Nora Charles), Tina Fey..The list is endless. If he is thinking of women like Megan Fox or a super model then, well, he's an idiot. I didn't mind Ben Affleck and am sad about his marriage until I heard about a favourite PBS series that has been cancelled due to Mr. AFFLACKK!!! (sorry couldn't help it). He was on the program about geneology and ancestry. In his history it was found that one of his ancestors was a slave owner. Now if you have a long line in the U.S. and if your family ever came from the South, there is probably a good chance this will be in your ancestry. It's not nice but it is history. Well Mr. Affleck did not want this broadcast but the creator of the show (who is African American and a Professor) went ahead anyway. Poor ben made a bit of a stinkorama and now the show has been cancelled. Sad isn't it. Thanks for linking me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the article, he mentions Lucille Ball...as a rarity. I find that so gross. He's stuck in an era of the past and is refusing to look at what's in front of him.

      That's interesting about the Affleck/PBS controversy. I hadn't heard that!

      Delete
  5. Hello Drew!

    Glad to see you got some nice R&R this weekend. Thanks for the link [and comment] man!

    Yeah I’m saddened by the news of Affleck/Garner divorce too, they seem like they could survive Hollywood’s scrutiny and they seem to be such a beautiful family. But what do we know right… these celebs are in another world entirely.

    Wow, yet ANOTHER MLK movie?? I like Anthony Mackie but yeah, doesn’t seem like he fits the role and you can’t top Oyelowo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was MUCH needed R&R, and you're always welcome for the links/comments!

      I hope this Mackie casting gets...changed.

      Delete
  6. This is harsh, I'm sorry, but Jake Lloyd is a whiny little bitch and I don't feel bad for him at all. I never have, I remember watching an interview with him at a con years ago where he came off as a total prick. Oh no, some people made a few force jokes to him. stfu. He made a lot of money doing that film and continued to make a good deal of money doing cons from it too.

    I'm sad about Affleck and Garner, they have such a beautiful family. :(

    The performances in Selma were great, but the film was so underwhelming. I don't think we really need another adaptation of it.

    Thanks for the link! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know...I mean, he was young and that was heavy on his shoulders, and he (apparently) has some mental issues, so this makes sense in a sad way. To feel blamed for ruining nostalgia is tough. And you never know what all happens behind closed doors.

      And yeah...we don't need another MLK movie right now.

      Delete
  7. Eisner, sigh. If you have to qualify a statement with "boy am I going to get in trouble," maybe you shouldn't say it.

    I've not seen anything of Claire Denis, but that sounds really interesting. Looking forward to that.

    Somewhere down the line, there needs to be a full on MLK biopic, but not now...and not with Anthony Mackie in the role. I really like him, always have. I just can't see him doing it justice. At all. Regardless, Oyelowo was so good, and the movie was so high profile we need at least a few years before someone takes another crack at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have seen a Claire Denis film! 35 Shots of Rum...and you hated it!

      LOL, see White Material. It's stellar.

      And thank you. I am not a Mackie fan, but I can see his appeal...but he is just NOT the right fit for this role, at all. He has...how do I put this...too much...swag? Too much bite...edge...and his look is way off too. I just can't see this going well.

      Delete
  8. I haven't read White Teeth but I remember when it came out. I was so jealous the author was published by age 25! I do feel for Jake Lloyd. Child stars (without the proper support network) really do go down some dark paths. It reminds me of Jonanthan Brandis. I'm always reminded of him when I see a rerun of Seaquest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous of everyone younger than me with established talent.

      Hate them.

      Lloyd is a sad case. I remember Seaquest! Never knew the star had issues later.

      Delete
  9. I hope this split between Ben and Jennifer Garner is a temporary one. I don't want Ben to go back with J-Ho. I hate that bitch.

    Michael Eisner is an asshole. He is born an asshole and he will die an asshole. For fuck's sake, he told one of the greatest casting directors ever in Marion Dougherty to take some famous and revered actress out of some film project in favor of fucking Suzanne Sommers. That fucking bimbo couldn't suck my dick to save her life. This is the same asshole that nearly killed Walt Disney studios with a bunch of mediocre animated films and the fucking Country Bears movies. I hope there's a fucking special place in hell for that fucking twat.

    Oh, and thank you for the link love. I'm working on the 2nd part right now and.... I think you will be happy with one of the entries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, the rumors of Ben and Lopez boinking have already started!

      I love her, so...

      And Eisner is clearly an idiot.

      And I can't wait for part two, and the movie I think you're talking about!

      Delete
  10. The Affleck/Garner divorce surprised me, they always seemed to be happy.
    I haven't seen any of Claire Denis' work, but her team up with Zadie Smith seems interesting, I'd be looking forward for the movie.
    That comment about beautiful women are not funny is absurd. There are tons of funny women in the industry, has he not bothered to reach out for their work? He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the divorce seems so...sudden. Like, I get that every marriage has issues, and I've had friends who seemed so happy and then...they weren't...but this still feels so out of the blue.

      Delete
  11. Thanks, man. I really appreciate the support. You might be suprised how much your (and the group) comments have cheered me up the last couple of days.

    You're a good one, man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never realized how close you could get to people you have never met, but I consider you (and many other bloggers) real friends, and so I mean every word. I'm glad the support from your blogging friends is helping. You're a good one, too.

      Delete
  12. Oh my God, what the hell. It's like saying a person who has good looks doesn't have personality. Also really, he said that when we just had Parks and Rec air for 7 years, where each female cast member is funny and pretty and we have Spy with gorgeous Melissa and Rose. Where do men come up with crap this ridiculous to say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it feels like one of those boxed in mentality kind of comments, or the comments of someone who hasn't watched TV or seen a movie in, like, well ever...since there have always been beautiful women who are VERY funny. This sounds more like a dig at the looks of modern comedic actresses, which is just gross.

      Marilyn Monroe is another example of a woman who was stunning...and very funny.

      Delete
  13. Normally, I don't really care about celebrity breakups, but Ben Affleck and Jen Garner announcing their divorce was pretty saddening. They seemed like a very modest couple.

    Regarding Michael Eisner's comments. Is this guy on the pipe? Seriously, what gives him the right to say that women can't be beautiful and funny. Especially with the slew of female comedians we have working today, What a pig.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was kind of sad about the Ben and Jen divorce too. And normally I don't care so I wonder why this one stings, but I think they just seem maybe a little more grounded than most.
    I did read White Teeth and love the Zadie-Claire pairing. There's a lot of potential there!
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Someone who read White Teeth. I'll need to snatch the book up, and I'm even more excited about this pairing now!

      Delete
  15. I was really sad to heard about Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner :(
    Thank you for the link love!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! I hope you get to see a slew of incredible wedding movies!

      Delete
  16. I was rooting for Affleck and Garner as well. :(

    That Denis project sounds great! Speaking of intimately scoped sci-fi, you should watch Moon.

    Eisner's comments are gross.

    It's sad to hear about what's happened to Lloyd. It's a shame Star Wars ruined his career.

    The TV film sounds a little intriguing, but I doubt it'll add much to what Selma brought.

    ReplyDelete