Thursday, June 4, 2015

Thursday Movie Picks: Kids Movies Adults Would Enjoy


It's Thursday!  You know the drill.  Time for more of Wandering Through the Shelves' Thursday Movie Picks.

Let get to this!

This week's theme is:



Now, I watch a lot of kids movies.  I mean, A LOT.  I have three of them and so, as I've mentioned here quite a few times, nearly every film I see in the theater is some variation of a children's movie.  I'm obviously going to be very bias here, because this kind of thing always hinges on personal taste.  So, here are three 'kids' movies that I have enjoyed.  One is a personal favorite of mine as a child, that I've since been able to introduce to my own children.  One if a children's classic that I never saw as a child but was introduced to as an adult and adore it.  And one is a film that is based on one of my favorite children's books and was a beautiful shared experience with my daughter in the theaters.

Here we go.

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
Fact, I never saw this as a child.  My father hated this movie and so he never allowed me to see it.  I guess 'allow' is the wrong word.  It was certainly never encouraged and so it never happened.  We watched other things.  I can't fault him too much, since his love of the musical and classics like Casablanca opened my eyes to a whole world of cinema that most youngsters don't get introduced to, but still, when I saw this I called him up and berated him (playfully) for a good ten minutes because E.T. IS A MASTERPIECE

The Rocketeer
One film that I saw many, many times as a kid was The Rocketeer.  What I love so much about this as an adult is how little it plays like children's films of today.  It is paced so well, it is steeped in a real sense of adventure and fun and yet it never feels like it's catering to a nation of children with ADD.  The gags are simple yet well executed and the throwback to the thrills of Indiana Jones, yet tapered to a child's level, make this such an exciting ride.  Being able to introduce this to my children and have them embrace it has been so wonderful.

Where the Wild Things Are
When my eldest daughter was a baby, I would read her this book almost every night.  It was a favorite of mine growing up and it became a favorite of hers.  Such a simple story with so much depth.  When the film came out, she was two.  My wife and I took her to a matinee on opening day (I took off work specifically for this) and she sat on my lap as all the emotions just flooded.  We laughed and jumped and cheered and smiled and cried (yes, we BOTH teared up during Max's departure home) and it just filled my heart in a way that few film 'experiences' have been able to.  Some will balk and say that this is not a children's film, but that is all dependent on your child.  All of my kids have seen it, and all of my kids love it, and while this may be more 'a film about what it means to be a child' over 'a film for children', I think it still counts!

42 comments:

  1. I've only seen E.T. from your picks and that was a wonderful film. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your picks, and what you said about Where The Wild Things Are and your daughter is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks...it was a precious moment!

      Delete
  3. Well you know I love The Rocketeer since it was one of choices previously, so great pick. I've never been totally enchanted with E.T. as most people are but it is a sweet film. I've never seen Where the Wild Things Are but it sounds worth checking out.

    Here's my three:

    Pollyanna (1960)-Fresh scrubbed piece of Americana from Disney made a huge star of Hayley Mills as the Glad Girl, a young orphan who comes to live with her severe maiden aunt and sets about fixing everybody’s lives. Bright and sunny for most of its running time with a cast full of terrific actors this veers occasionally towards the saccharine but if you like Mary Poppins you'll probably like this.

    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)-Candy colored version of Roald Dahl's fantasy of five children who find the golden ticket and get a chance to visit the reclusive Willy Wonka in his wonderland of a candy factory. Far better than the mess Tim Burton made of the book. Gene Wilder is brilliant in the lead.

    The Great Muppet Caper (1981)-Kermit, Fozzie and Gonzo are reporters who head to London on the trail of a jewel thief who has stolen a diamond necklace from Dame Diana Rigg and framed her secretary, Miss Piggy for the theft. Cuteness ensues but as with all the Muppet features and shows they intermingle material that is sophisticated enough for adults while still capturing kid’s attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love all three of your picks! I'd love to hear your thoughts on Where the Wild Things Are, for sure.

      Delete
  4. Maybe it's for the best that you didn't see E. T. as a kid. I did and the part where E. T. is really sick at the end haunted me for a long time. I'd have to leave the room when that scene came on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that moment is rough, but so well acted and portrayed.

      Delete
  5. I ADORE The Rocketeer and LOVE Where the Wild Things Are.... but always thought the latter was really geared more towards adults. But if your daughter loved it, then I'm on board. Either way, it's a fucking great film.

    I never really liked E.T. though. When I was a kid anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had that Wild Things conversation with a lot of people who just all felt it was too dark and too deep for children, and on many levels it is, but every child is different. My eldest is pretty mature for her age and she actually gets it. We've had talks about how the film honestly conveys her own feelings of frustration with being a kid and being unable to express herself and feeling as though no one understands her. It's been a very bonding film for us.

      Delete
    2. That's amazing. Spike Jonze: Bringing families together since 2007. LOL.

      Delete
  6. E.T. bros!! And The Rocketeer was great. I totally loved that movie when my mom took me to the theater to see it as a kid. Sadly, I haven't seen it since. Need to. I am in such regret for never seeing Where the Wild Things Are. Everyone involved in it, I love. It will happen soon. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch
      Where
      The
      Wild
      Things
      Are
      TONIGHT!

      Delete
  7. Ooooh I LOVE ET and The Rocketeer!! I didn't know you're so into Rocketeer, Drew. I saw that years ago w/ my brother and still love it to this day! I'm a huge fan of Timothy Dalton, he's fantabulous channeling Errol-Flynn as Neville Sinclair :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely adore it! Dalton is great, cheesy villainous greatness!

      Delete
  8. "They Shall Have Music" is a 1939 film that I loved when I was a kid. I watched it every time it was on TV. It is about a poor homeless boy who loves the violin and has a natural affinity to it. He must struggle but the great Jascha Heifetz helps save the day. "Old Yeller" is a tough film for kids and adults about growing up on a farm with your faithful dog beside you. It still is hard for me to watch but it is meant for kids believe it or not. "The Secret Garden is one of my favourite films with the spitfire young girl who brings to life more than just the garden-wonderful film. I love The Rocketeer and thought it is a great film. I still have to see "Where The Wild Things Are" even though I loved the book. "E.T." I actually saw it 4 times when it came out but I didn't want to. The first time I saw it by myself and thought it was cute in parts but not much else. I had a cousin who wanted to see it so I took her and thought less about the film. Then my 3 cousins came and I was told to take them to see the movie so i had no choice. The last time my mom and friend wanted to see the film and I begged them to not drag me to it but they would not say no. By this time all the hoopla was surrounding this film. We went to see it and it was fun this time because my mom started laughing when they were trying to revive ET. I thought she was going to get punched by the lady behind us. I asked my mom why she was laughing and she said it was so dumb because how would they know how to help this alien they could be killing him. She found the whole thing very silly:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I caught They Shall Have Music a couple of months ago on TCM and thought it was very pleasant loaded with fantastic music. I also have a weakness for Joel McCrea and he was his usual big, rangy charming self so another mark in its favor.

      Delete
    2. BOO!!! All this E.T. apathy is crushing me!

      Delete
    3. PS...my wife hates it too

      Delete
    4. OMG I saw They Shall Have Music on TCM a few months back too! Pleasant is the perfect word for it, Joel.

      Delete
    5. I've never even heard of this movie.

      Delete
    6. If you get a chance, you should see it. I watched it every chance I could get when I was young and have not seen it in years plus it has Joel McCrea-yum

      Delete
  9. I love E.T. 'Nuff said about that. Still haven't seen The Rocketeer. Been meaning to fix that for years. Your story about Where the Wild Things Are is very cute. Love it. Didn't love the movie, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH, that movie reached me so deeply, but I have a real connection to films that can accurately portray the feelings of adolescence with such un-bias honesty. Like, I felt like it was talking directly to my 8 year old self with such rawness, such complete understanding.

      Delete
  10. E.T. is one of the greats - no arguments there! Not sure if my own hype got to me but I struggled with Where The Wild Things Are. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where the Wild Things Are is not for everyone, that's for sure, but love seeing more E.T. love!

      Delete
  11. I love those 3 films as E.T. and Where the Wild Things Are are films that make me cry and I'm not ashamed to say it. I love those films.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. That's a great way to describe it.

      Delete
  13. ET IS a masterpiece! Great post :) Bringing back the nostalgia here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nostalgia is such a wonderful feeling :-D

      Delete
  14. Where the Wild Things Are is the Best. Bedtime. Story. Ever. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Right with you on ET, a film anyone can enjoy regardless of age. Even rotten tomatoes say in their header: "remains a piece of movie magic for young and old"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love these! I pretty much predicted all of them, but they're awesome picks! E.T. is a masterpiece, indeed, and it recently re-entered my top 100. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rocketeer all the way! A flying guy AND Jennifer Connely. I'm in. Loved this movie and watched it endlessly for a lot of years. Good posts and picks.

    ReplyDelete