Thursday, June 18, 2015

Thursday Movie Picks: Animated Films


This was a fun Thursday Movie Picks for me.  I say fun, and I also me slightly frustrating because choosing only three was really, really hard.  So I cheated.  Why stick to mere rules!  I laugh in the face of rules!  LAUGH!  Actually, I don't.  I try hard to stick to them, but really...I couldn't knock off any of these so I'm doubling it and going with six.  "Six what?", you may ask.

The theme of the week is:



Animated Movies!  Of course, institutionally I went right to my favorite Disney movies, and then I was like...no, let's not just go Disney crazy.  Then I was thinking Pixar, but too popular...and then I was like, "how about my favorite animated films NON Disney/Pixar" but then it just opened this Pandora's Box of all these sub-categories and I just got overwhelmed.  SO MUCH WILL BE SNUBBED!  So, then I decided to stick to a theme, and my theme is this:

Beloved Animated Films from my childhood that I've introduced to my children.

And here they are:

The Chipmunk Adventure 
So much better than that motion-capture crap they recently spilled all over our unsuspecting youth, this ridiculous and preposterous animated adventure/musical is such a joy to watch, even as an adult.  It's takes us everywhere, shows us everything and keeps us entertained from start to finish.  My kids LOVE this, sing every song and clutch their seats as our heroes avoid peril at every turn.  Sure, it's pretty terrible when you consider how awful every character is as an actual role-model, but thankfully my kids are well aware of 'stranger danger'.  Unfortunately, my eldest thinks that traveling the Globe in a hot air balloon sounds like the greatest thing ever, so...

The Land Before Time
Talk about a movie that just doesn't hold up, I was so bummed when I watched this with my kids recently.  They loved it, but there was so much missing for me as an adult.  I remember ADORING this movie and the characters as a child.  Yes, I ate leaves...but let's not talk about that right now.  Anyways, I found this to be so shoddily made, so brisk (but not in a good way), so choppy and lacking in real narrative structure.  It felt way too much like a 'cartoon' and not a movie.  Anyways, it worked as a kid and it worked for my kids, so I guess that's the point.

Oliver and Company
"Why should I worry?"...well, apparently I should have (go figure), because as much as I still love this one, it terrified my kids.  Still have no idea why, but maybe one day they'll apreciate the awesomeness that is Billy Joel's soundtrack.

All Dogs Go to Heaven
One of my favorite 'parent' moments was walking in on my daughter watching this movie.  She was two.  I hadn't seen the film in YEARS, so eff me for not remembering that this movie is pretty much a horror story for like so much of it, but regardless that wasn't what struck her.  ANYWAYS, I walk in the room and my two-year-old daughter is softly weeping...WEEPING, and I ask her, "Honey, what's wrong?" and she says to me, "That little girl doesn't have a mommy and daddy" and I just broke.  Like...what a heart!  UGH!!!  She hasn't changed a bit.

An American Tale: Fievel Goes West
This movie is just great, right?  Why don't more people talk about this one?  Sharply made, tender, emotional, heartfelt, that music, that song, that childish wonderment, that Western throwback, that clever script!
Beauty and the Beast
And then we come to the magnum opus that is the greatest animated film of all time; Beauty and the Beast.  Like, for real.  The magic and wonderment of this classic Disney film just doesn't age at all...it's timeless!  The look on my daughter's faces when they watch this mirrors the very look I had when I saw it in the theater as a child, and being able to take my eldest daughter to the theater when this was re-released was just so special.  

38 comments:

  1. THE FUCKING CHIPMUNK ADVENTURE. Watched that so many times when I was younger. I don't think any of it makes any sense at all, but it doesn't matter.

    You're absolutely right about Land Before Time not holding up at all. All Dogs Go To Heaven almost falls into that category, too, but its story is so freaking WEIRD. That alone saves it.

    Love An American Tale and this sequel, which I remember thinking was the coolest thing ever. Same thing with Oliver & Company - that soundtrack is EVERYTHING.

    But it's almost unfair to have any of those in the same list as Beauty & The Beast, which is unquestionably the greatest animated film ever made and a flawless masterpiece that I will not hear a single word against EVER. It's just the best. Period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, glad that you love this list! I still think that Why Should I Worry is one of the best Disney songs, ever. And, yes, NOTHING has ever topped Beauty and the Beast for me...NOTHING!

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of the Chipmunk Adventure but I absolutely love all the other picks. Oliver and Company I think is a bit underrated. They have some of the best music in any Disney movie. "Why Should I Worry" is one of the best Disney songs out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so much yes to Why Should I Worry! You should watch Chipmunk Adventure. I bet your kid would love it.

      Delete
  3. I think I've missed all of these except Beauty and the Beast which I honestly don't recall a whole lot of. Shame, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy crap! So many I forgot about. Oliver and Company?! I remember seeing that in the theater when I was a kid. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay I guess unsurprisingly this was a tough week for me, I had a hell of a time coming up with three and even then I had to cheat a bit. I’m just not an animation fan. I have nieces and nephews with whom I’m very close so of course I’ve seen bits and pieces of all of these, and my deep and enduring love of Linda Ronstadt has made me more aware of Fievel, but except for a VERY few I just have no patience with this type of movie. Of your picks I’d agree that Beauty & the Beast is the best.

    Pink Floyd-The Wall (1982)-Isolated from everyone a rock star quickly descends into madness. This is the one I’m stretching the point on because it’s not wholly animated. This strange film starts off with a live action segment then after about twenty minutes is interspersed with animated sequences, often quite disturbing, all set to Pink Floyd’s music.

    The Rescuers (1977)-Two mice on the Rescue Aid Society, Bernard and Miss Bianca voiced by the odd couple pairing of Bob Newhart and Eva Gabor, attempt to rescue little Penny who has been kidnapped by the evil Madame Medusa and her gang as they search for treasure in Devil's Bayou. Fun if minor Disney is set apart by the great voice work of the unexpectedly simpatico Newhart and Gabor and the awesome Geraldine Page as Medusa.

    101 Dalmatians (1961)-Cruella de Vil wants a Dalmatian coat and she and her evil minions will do anything to get one. Adult Dalmatians Pongo and Perdita set out to rescue the title pups from the fate she has planned. Will she be stopped in time? Classic Disney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought you might have a rough time with this one. You're like Kevin in that you don't really care for animated films much. Love two of your picks though...the actual animated ones. I really didn't care much for The Wall, outside of the music (and visuals). I just didn't think it came together well enough for me.

      Delete
    2. Yeah I'm not that big a fan of The Wall either outside the music but it was a desperation pick.

      I might have been terse with this week's pick but I'll have no such problem with next week's theme, siblings, where I ran into much the same problem you did with this one...so many choices!!

      Delete
    3. EEK! Next week will be fun :-D

      Delete
  6. Wow, all of your picks are classic. I really love Beauty and the Beast, the plot and the female protagonist especially. If you love BATB, you should check out Howl's Moving Castle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I need to watch Howl's...I keep thinking that it's one I've missed and yet...I never felt an urge to watch it...but now I do!

      Delete
  7. Awesome picks! I love the Chipmunk Adventure - such a classic growing up and watching that with my sister and cousins. And, Beauty and the Beast - can't go wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can never go wrong with Beauty and the Beast...never!

      Delete
  8. I haven't seen any of these and if I have I certainly don't remember seeing them. I might wait until I have kids of own and experience the Disney movies with them for the first time as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Experiencing them for the first time with your own children is a beautiful way to make the best of memories.

      Delete
  9. Oh, there's some real blasts from the past here! Love that you broke the rules too, that's what they're there for, ha!
    I wholeheartedly agree with your thoughts on Beauty & the Beast, too :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allie! Thanks for stopping by. Yeah, rules are totally made for breaking, and this was the perfect week to break them (and I still could have added, like, 6 more).

      Delete
  10. I recall these films being at the cinema and I knew with the Chipmunk film and Land before Time that my teeth would rot in 5 seconds from all the sweetness but I was in my 20's and not a little girl so that makes all the difference. I have yet to see Fievel Goes West and I am shocked since Jimmy Stewart voices one of the characters from what I remember. "All Dogs Go to Heaven" sounds like a dog dies and I cry too much. I agree with "Beauty and the Beast" -that is a great piece of film work. They outdid themselves. I would pick "Gay Puree" about 2 pussy cats in Paris with the lead voices of Judy Garland and Robert Goulet. I saw that when I was a little girl and loved it. "Fantasia" is a great film in my book. I love what was done to the great pieces of classical music" The last scene of the Devil on the mountain set to Night on Bald Mountain" puts chills down my spine. Hippies loved this film in the 1960's due to all the LSD and colours they saw. The last one is "Hotel Transylvania". I am not an Adam Sandler fan but you don't see him in this film. I just enjoyed this movie. It is nothing special but I love Dracula when he tries to be angry with his daughter and then gives up and walks away. Be thankful I did not pick "The Fuckstones" (sorry for the language)-you don't want to see what Fred does to Wilma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um...Fuckstones? My GOD! That's a thing?

      Delete
    2. I'd totally forgotten about Gay Pur-ee with Judy and Bob Goulet. Because of her involvement it's a cute film but as I recall the animation is very primitive and I think a bit psychedelic. It's been many, many years since I've seen it though.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes..it is around and I don't want my image of the Flintstones ever disrupted again. Yes Gay Pur-ee is a bit primitive, definitely not up to Disney, but I loved it when I was a kid

      Delete
  11. I really need to see The Land Before Time, I mean I love the theme song! And YES on Beauty and the Beast. It's one of my favorite Disney 'Princess' films of all time... technically it's brilliant but it also has sooo much heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the heart...it bursts into every scene.

      Delete
  12. I know all of these are stellar picks, and I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them. Alas, I only truly remember two. An American Tail: Feivel Goes West is incredible. I loved the original too. I've neither watched nor thought about those movies in a long time. So, thanks for that.

    Beauty in the Beast is a fucking masterpiece. It is easily in my Top 3 Disney Movies proper, at least as far as the ones released in my lifetime.

    Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen all of those films. I would watch The Chipmunk Adventure over anything they did recently. Those new films are terrible.

    I'm not fond of Oliver & Company as I'm annoyed by that soundtrack. 80s Billy Joel doo-wop sucks!

    I'm not fond of All Dogs Go to Heaven nor Fievel Goes West as I find the former to be very sappy and the latter to be disappointing as I do love An American Tail. I didn't like The Land Before Time either. Sentimentality doesn't work for me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I...just...have no words for your 80's Joel hatred. That soundtrack is amazing!

      I think my connection to most of these is less sentimentality and more nostalgia, to be honest.

      And hell yes to The Chipmunk Adventure kicking ass.

      Delete
  14. I love Beauty and the Beast, such a classic. One of my favorite Disney movies as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it's such a beautiful, beautiful movie.

      Delete
  15. Oh my god, you've got so many great ones - All Dogs Go to Heaven!!! I cried sooo much seeing that. I don't think I could handle it these days. And An American Tale! I kinda forgot about that one, but loved it loved it loved it sooo much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Glad to bring on the nostalgia!

      Delete
  16. I always used get upset when watching The Land Before Time, I've steered clear of it because of this but I do love dinos. Can't watch All Dog's Go to Heaven for the same reason plus I didn't like the animation. Loved Fievel Goes West - had a great catchy song at the start. Nothing beats Beauty and the Beast, I think its my favourite Disney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upset with The Land Before Time, huh? Why exactly? I mean, I kind of hate it now...but as a kid I adored it.

      Delete
  17. Oh, I loved these as a child, too! Except it's been so long that I barely remember either An American Tail film and I'm not sure if I saw The Chipmunk Adventure or not. Beauty and the Beast is easily on another level, but I've always liked Oliver and Company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fortunate (and in some cases unfortunate) enough to be able to watch these with the kids, so I get to refresh the nostalgia from time to time!

      Delete