Tuesday, June 23, 2015

In Memoriam: James Horner


Yesterday, when news broke that a plane registered to the Oscar winning composer, James Horner, had crashed in Santa Barbara, I said a silent prayer that Horner was not in the plane (which seems almost silly since, in the plane or not, someone had died), but it has since been confirmed that Horner was indeed flying the plane and so, as of yesterday afternoon, we have lost one of the all time great film composers.

This is a sad day indeed.  In looking over his incredible contributions to film, one thing is very clear, his music shaped a lot of my childhood, and if you know me, I have a very emotional connection to childhood.  

This one hurts.

So, I felt like the best way to honor the man that provided us with such incredible musical moments was to dedicate this post to the scores he created that had the biggest impact on me, the scores that I continue to listen to and embrace as some of the best cinema has ever offered us.  So, if you have the time, indulge in my ten favorite James Horner scores and allow the calm of nostalgia to overtake you and comfort you in the throws of this sad, sad day.











And then we come to his magnum opus, and one of the greatest film scores of all time; Titanic.  This is the first film score I ever fell in love with and the first film score I ever purchased and listened to religiously.  I fell asleep to this score nearly every night for a very long time, and this particular track never fails to swell my heart with the deepest of emotions. 


It will forever carry a new, deeper meaning for me now.

14 comments:

  1. I am deeply saddened when I heard this morning about his death. He was/is a brilliant composer-so rich and so versatile. Even though I am not a huge fan of the film, "Titanic", the score is brilliant and haunting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is such a terrible loss, and I'm glad that despite your not caring for the film, you can appreciate that the score is just devastatingly beautiful.

      Delete
  2. I have mixed feelings about him as a composer as I found his criticism about The New World to have little validity but I do love some of his scores such as the ones he did for James Cameron as well as An American Tail and The Wrath of Khan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked up his criticism and...I had no idea his score was cut from the film! LOL, it's been years since I've seen the film, but I listen to Horner's score all the time...I love it...and I just never really associated the fact that it wasn't even in the movie!

      Delete
  3. The news is tragic. Glad to see his amazing work highlighted here. UGH, this sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does suck...truly...truly sucks.

      Delete
  4. I seriously felt my eyes well up with tears when I saw that he had died... He will forever be one of my favorite composers. <3 Rest in peace, Mr. James Horner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a sad, sad loss for sure. Nice to see you're doing better!

      Delete
  5. "This one hurts." Yes it certainly does Drew... I grew up listening to his songs too, they're so beautiful! I agree Titanic is his magnum opus, it's haunting and timeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, one of the greatest scores of all time. It's iconic for all the right reasons.

      Delete
  6. So glad to see you spotlighting this amazing loss. So sad to hear that he is gone. It is hard not to be moved by the beauty of "Rose". And that "Aliens" score is energetic and suspenseful. What an incredible talent he was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a terrible loss of an amazing talent. The range in those two mentioned scores shows hoe hard this stings.

      Delete
  7. A sad month for Titanic fans, myself included. I wasn't aware he had contributed scores to all those other movies as well. Impressive resumé.

    ReplyDelete