Monday, June 15, 2015

A Fistful of Thoughts...about pregnant movie stars, passing legends, shaken expectations, Jurassica Chastain and 'the one I obsess about'!


Happy Monday, people!  Did you have a great weekend.  You know who had a great weekend?  Chris Pratt, but we'll talk about that in a few minutes.  Did you contribute to Pratt's great weekend?  I did!  So, because it's Monday, it's time for another Fistful of Thoughts.

So here's what I'm thinking about.


Carey Mulligan is pregnant!  Is this really new news?  I'm not sure, but I don't care.  I found an article presuming this dating back to April, but I didn't hear about it until, like, Wednesday, so I'm considering this new news, and yet now that I'm talking about it and kind of think I did know this and just forgot.  Whatever, she's having a baby with that guy from Mumford and Sons, and that's pretty cool to me.  Great actress, great musician, next big thing in 18 years!  You know...because I have to bring it up...pregnancy has been a good omen in the past for Oscar hopefuls...like Rachel Weisz and Natalie Portman...so could this be a good sign for Mulligan's Suffragette campaign?

With the welcoming of one new soul, we have to say goodbye to another.  I'm sure you've heard already, but Christopher Lee has passed.  He was 93, and he worked right up until his passing, so he certainly lived a full life.  He was pretty much the face of every famous villain in movie history (alright, that's an extreme exaggeration), and so his loss is truly a felt one, but we will always have his legacy to remember him by!

Speaking of deaths, could the recent switch from 'fall 2015' to 'March 2016' mean that John Hillcoat's star-studded Triple Nine is...DOA?  The film's cast, which includes Oscar nominees/winners Harrelson, Affleck, Winslet and Ejiofor (as well as many other famous faces), is Hillcoat's followup to his tepidly received Lawless.  I was really hoping that this would be a return to form for Hillcoat, who delivered a tremendous debut in The Proposition, and then followed that up with a stunning look at Corman McCarthy's The Road.  I still have hope that this will be a fun movie, but the switch in the release date, especially when they've been working on this movie for long enough (isn't it done filming?) has me nervous.  It's certainly not an awards movie anymore, which doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be a bad movie, but the hype is not dwindling and my expectations are lowering.  I need a good Kate Winslet movie, and fast, and I'm not quite sure Steve Jobs will be what I want it to be.

So, everyone in the world saw Jurassic World this weekend, right?  My lord, was that box-office huge.  While it comes in at #2 domestically, right behind (like literally just 3 million behind) The Avengers, when you incorporate the massive overseas earnings, Jurassic World rakes in over $511 million making it the largest opening weekend ever.  This is INSANE!  Did you see it?  I did.  I'll review it eventually (maybe sooner than later), but I'll say this...it was fun as hell.  A complete repeat of previous successes in many, many areas, but still a blast to watch and I'd literally watch Chris Pratt in anything at this point.

Also, this:


Like, I hope that this movie doesn't ONLY become a catapult for Pratt's career but that it proves that Bryce Dallas Howard deserves to have better movie roles.  She's a very capable actress, she's charming and witty and holds her own, and SEXY AS HELL!  She's been working the campaign trail, so hopefully that means that people will take notice.  She deserves to be better known and regarded.  She's such a natural talent.

Oh, and speaking of Jurassic Park, I really wish I lived in Ohio right now.  I just can't with this description:
Religion, identity, sex...and raptors! TRIASSIC PARQ is a raucous retelling of that famous dinosaur-themed film JURASSIC PARK, this time seen from the dinos' point of view. Chaos is unleashed upon the not-so-prehistoric world when one dinosaur in a clan of females spontaneously turns male. The mutation spawns a chain reaction of identity crises, forcing the dinosaurs to question the very facts of life they've always held as truth. An uproariously funny musical meditation on faith, science, and love.
And look at this production photo of the cast!


I want this in my life.

You know what else I want in my life?  Xavier Dolan's new movie.  UGH, I should just rename this blog A Fistful of Dolan because I'm absolutely obsessed with this man.  I want to have his babies.  I'm not lying, like at all.  So, a few weeks ago, when we got that still of Seydoux, I asked for one thing: "show me Cotillard!"  Obviously Dolan reads my blog (lol, as if) because:


UGH!  I'm obsessed.  I'm absolutely obsessed with this woman.  I want her to have my babies.  I'm not lying, like at all.  Seriously, this project is the product of every cinematic wet dream I've ever had, ever!

After It's Only the End of the World, the world may as well end because there is nothing left for me; nothing!

So, that's all I got; what do you have to say about it.

Also...

Speaking of Jurassic World, here are some reviews:

and, Film Guy Reviews goes retro and reviews Jurassic Park!

34 comments:

  1. Trassic Parq? lol WHAT? Suddenly I don't feel like my negative review of Jurassic World is anything to worry about anymore haha! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, for real! Like...that just sounds incredible for all the wrong reasons!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link!

    Get that Oscar, Carey!

    It's sad news about Lee, but what a career he had.

    Hillcoat needs a comeback, even if I did like Lawless.

    Jurassic World was a blast. Like, I loved it more than Guardians of the Galaxy. Maybe it helps that I didn't have ANY expectations. And that Chastain musical video is hilarious! More roles for Howard please!

    That play... Like, what?

    Love the new Cotillard photo! Give us more, Dolan!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed that this is her time.

      I haven't seen Lawless...but I probably should, considering how I feel about Hillcoat's first two films.

      I wouldn't go that far...as Guardians, for me, was a perfect Superhero movie, and Jurassic World was...fun...but I really did like it a lot!

      I just want a live stream of everything that Dolan does every second of the day...for real!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the link.

    The death of Christopher Lee was a gutting one for me as he has been my favourite actor for as long as I can remember. He had this incredible screen presence.

    My heart just sunk when I saw the news. He has had a long, incredible life but I still found it gutting.

    The Jessica Chastain-Bryce Dallas Howard video was surprisingly funny, Howard took it good light judging from her instagram. Not that I follow her or even have instagram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when those particular deaths just hit us harder than we expected, and it happens when we're personally connected to the work of that said actor. Gandolfini and Hoffman were the hardest for me. I still forget that Hoffman is dead...like...I just fucking remembered and I'm sad again.

      Delete
  4. Do not ever ever ever wish you lived in Ohio. :)

    Thanks for the link - Sean will be tickled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I have never even been to Ohio :-P

      Delete
    2. Well that explains it. It's HORRRRRRIBLE.

      Delete
  5. Hi Fisti! Thanks for the link. Yes, everyone in the world did see Jurassic World. I can't believe how well this movie did, whilst Fury Road did meh. I normally don't care about how much money lines the pockets of hollywood executives, but knowing the box office take does predict the likelihood of sequels. I really don't know if Jurassic World deserves a sequel, but after the box office this week...it's sure to get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think the audience that remembers Mad Max fondly...is probably not into that kind of movie anymore :-P

      LOL...Jurassic Park still has a pretty solid target audience...and despite the fact that Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron are better actors, Chris Pratt is far more popular right now and a HUGE box-office draw.

      Delete
  6. Your blog is hilarious. I swear to God, you must have the funniest blog that I've ever seen.
    Change the name of the blog in A Fistful of Dolan, it would be genius. I am so so so so so pumped up for anything that Dolan is to do. I follow him on instagram and I don't even speak french (good that Google translate exists). You've mentioned that Pierrot le fou is one of your favorite movies, well did you saw this: http://www.criterion.com/explore/102-xavier-dolan-s-top-10 . Mommy probably is in my top 5 of the decade but still is mind blowing as hell. Just the fact that he made just five movies and he already is in the big league. With a moderate budget and great actors he made Mommy, what he'll do next will be at least 5 times better in execution considering the fact that directors get better with time (because more you do something more you do it better).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! So glad you love the blog!

      And yes, Dolan is a wise man...and a brilliant director!

      Delete
  7. Mulligan's pregnancy could play into her potential Oscar narrative for Suffragette because like Amy Dunne said, "America loves pregnant woman." Although Keira Knightley and Amazing Amy herself, Rosamund Pike, were pregnant during the awards circuit last year and they still went home empty handed. But Natalie Portman's pregnancy did help her Oscar narrative, so we'll see.

    I thought the Jessica Chastain musical number was hilarious and I loved how Bryce Dallas Howard didn't take it too seriously and played along by lip-syncing to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but the narratives for Moore and Arquette being 'due' were too strong. I don't see any such contender in Mully's way at this point, and the character she's playing is SO BAITY!

      Delete
    2. I need to see that lip-sync video!

      Delete
    3. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bryce-dallas-howard-sings-i-801342

      In that link, you can also see the original musical number.

      Delete
  8. It's always sad when the legendary performers exit the stage but 93 is an awesome run and that he stayed active right up until the end is a wonderful thing. It was also a shame to lose the less renown but very gifted Ron Moody this week as well but as with Lee, he had a good long life-91 years. And we can take heart that Olivia de Havilland is still going strong and will be 99 on July 1st!

    I'm glad for Carey Mulligan and of course wonderful actress that she is I would LOVE to see her win an Oscar.

    I may be one of the few people on the planet that didn't see Jurassic World this weekend, I had other things to do, but I'll get there. Glad that it sounds like it's worth the price of admission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope I'm another who hasn't seen it:) You go Olivia!!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I'm so glad that de Havilland is still around!

      Delete
  9. I guess I'm one of like 3 people who didn't go see Jurassic World this weekend. Okay, fine. I'll see it at some point. If nothing else, I do hope this is a boost to Bryce Dallas Howard. She is excellent. A few years back, I thought she was better than all of her Oscar nominated cast-mates in The Help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her performance in The Village is better than anything that Chastain, Spencer or Davis have done in her career thus far.

      Delete
  10. As mentioned above, I too, have not seen Jurassic World. I am certain it is in the same vein as the others. That Jessica Chastain song is funny and she does look like her! Another great is gone and he was one intriguing person. I must read a good biography of Mr. Lee. He was a lethal spy during WW2 and never talked about it and he met Tolkien! How cool is that? I think you will have to wait in line to have Cotillard's babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably have a better shot having Dolan's babies.

      Delete
  11. Jurassic World.... not interested.

    I fucking hate Mumford & Sons. I hate today's folk music. It's shit.

    That pic of Marion looks great. You asked and you received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gurl! Mumford and Sons are great! LOL, I love modern folk music. Like, SO MUCH!

      And yeah, I have that kind of power apparently :-P

      Delete
  12. I haven't seen JW yet and I'm kinda shocked how well it did I was thinking it was going to be a huge flop because it didn't look particularly humorous and kinda stiff. But I'm glad it is successful given that Bryce is in the cast and I'm super glad to read the praise here - she is such a wonderful actress, she even managed to almost make Hereafter worth seeing with her magnificent performance there and she was on the screen for maybe 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do hope that the success of this film isn't ONLY attributed to Pratt (although, let's be honest...he was a massive draw here), because Howard was wonderful here and she really deserves to have a better career.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for linking all those Jurassic World reviews! I'm on my way to see it later today, and I've been on vacation so I haven't read any of them yet.

    I love Carey Mulligan, I hope that pregnancy is a good omen for her. She's so underrated.

    Mommy is now at the top of my Netflix queue, I can't wait to see it! I love all your Dolan talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOD!!! You have to let me know immediately after you watch it! Like, seriously...I expect a DM on Twitter!!! OH MY GOD!!!

      And, I obviously mean Mommy and not Jurassic World :-P

      Delete
  14. Oh I didn’t know miss Mulligan is pregnant! Well I really think she is talented, hope she will finally get recognized for Suffragette!

    It’s amazing how Jurassic World broke all kinds of records. Spielberg really is box office gold, everything he touched seems to become a hit. It’s fun in parts but nowhere near as iconic and emotionally gratifying as JP but seems that audiences don’t care about that. I totally agree about Bryce Dallas Howard, she does deserve a better career as she’s beautiful AND talented!

    Ahah, you should rename your blog A Fistful of Dolan, he..he.. I love that you are obsessed, we all have our fixation on something ;)

    Btw, THANK YOU for the link! Always appreciate it, Drew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm pulling for Mully!

      And you're so welcome, as always!

      Delete