Monday, May 11, 2015

A Fistful of Thoughts...about fallen idols, rising Australians, a plea to all film lovers and some idiots!


Well, I had quite the weekend.  Hope y'all did too.  Now it's time to get into the swing of the work week, and that has made compiling this post difficult since a long weekend of fun leads to exhaustion which leads to sleeping in which leads to absolutely no time to 'blog' before work begins to rush in.  

If my boss could see me right now, he'd be pissed!

But, whatever, I'll be quick (or something like that).

Let's chit chat for a bit:



For starters, I want to talk about Joel Edgerton.  I've had a serious man crush on this guy for a really long time, ever since Animal Kingdom.  I want such big things for him, and he's so talented, so commanding.  I've been a fan of a lot of his work, from the aforementioned to Warrior (where he was, for me, best in show), Wish You Were Here and even The Great Gatsby.  We all know I have a thing for Australians, and he's one of the best new imports.  He has a project that sounds very intriguing coming to us this year from Jeff Nichols called Midnight Special, but news broke last week of another project (also from Nichols) that could be his big Oscar breakthrough.  Edgerton has been attached to Nichols' biopic on the Lovings, an interracial couple who were married in 1958 and were exiled from Virginia because of it.  They spent years fighting for the right to return home and fighting for the right to marry the one you love.  This sounds like a beautiful and touching story, and one that will give Edgerton (and Ruth Negga from Agents of Shield) a chance to give it all they've got and I personally can't wait to see how this unfolds!

You know what else I want to watch unfold?  The release of Orson Welles' final film!  Yes, we've talked about that here before, but since posting the glorious news that this long lost film will finally get its proper editing and make it to theaters this year, it looked like it was hitting a few setbacks.  Well, now we have Edgar Wright delivering a public service announcement to all cinephiles begging them to donate funds in support of getting this movie finished.  Apparently they need $2,000,000 by the middle of June to get this completed this year.  

If the Kardashians want to do some good for the rest of the world and boost their cred with people who have brain cells, they could make this movie happen tomorrow.

I'm considering donating myself.

I'm serious.

Moving on, can we talk about some actors who have to learn to shut up.  First, we have Natalie Portman denouncing her Oscar by claiming it's a 'fallen idol' and says that she doesn't even know where it is.  Like, I find this so insulting, to be honest.  Back in 2010 she WORKED that Oscar circuit to secure her Oscar win.  She was everywhere, and she was genuinely gleeful with EVERY SINGLE WIN...and now she says she doesn't even know where the Oscar is and compared it to worshiping idols condemned in scripture!  I'm a very religious man, so I get the whole idea of not 'worshiping' an idol of sorts, but this feels so extreme.


Does this mean she can give her Oscar to the more deserving winner; Michelle Williams!

Speaking of talking shit, Matt St. Clair dished on Robert Downey Jr.'s remarks on Independent Cinema and further cemented my absolute hatred for this complete douche.  Everyone is so up in arms about Jeremy Renner calling Black Widow a slut, but listen...this is worse.  Downey Jr. is no stranger to talking complete and utter shit, and he's made it a point to say he has no time for anything other than money making Blockbusters at this point, since he's apparently more about the money than the craft, but these latest remarks about Independent Film is just atrocious.

And I quote:

“Because they’re exhausting and sometimes they suck and then you just go, ‘What was I thinking?’ But I’m interested in doing all different kinds of movies. Sometimes the little movies are the ones that wind up taking the most out of you because they’re like, ‘Hey, man, we’re just running a couple of days behind. Do you think you can stay through your birthday and then come back on the fourth of July. And, by the way, but, like, the crew—can you pay for the craft services? And, oh, by the way, man, when we go to Sundance, it’s like, can we just sit you in a chair and you can sell this for six days in a row so that we’ll make 180 bucks when it opens in one theater? God, this is so powerful what we’re doing. What do you think of the movie? You saw it last night?’” 
“I thought it’s mediocre.” 
“Yeah, isn’t it the greatest?! Man, everyone’s an artist here.” 
“Actually, most of you are kind of inexperienced and lame.”

What the actual fuck!  I swear to GOD I hate this guy.  I don't want to just retype Matt's entire post, so check it out because I agree with him 100%. 

And in closing, since I'm sore that I'm not at Cannes right now and I hate all the people I know who are going (yes AW friends, I HATE YOU RIGHT NOW!) I'm going to talk about another film festival, Venice, and how they snagged Deity Cuaron for their jury president!  Dolan is at Cannes, Cuaron is in Venice and I'm here, in my house, talking about them.

Happy Monday people!

Also...

Here's What I'll Be Reading Today:
Chris talks A View to a Kill
Josh reviews Death Trap
Irene discussing 12 Memorable Movie Moms
Hunter returns to blogging
Mario celebrates his fourth blogging anniversary!
Britt talks shit about The Duggers!!!
Sati swoons over a real life princess!
Luke discusses Going Clear
Getter is hosting a BLOGATHON!!!!

39 comments:

  1. I can't wait for Midnight Special. I was so annoyed when it wasn't released last year. Edgerton is great. Lovings sound interesting. I want Negga to do something great again because I loved her in Breakfast on Pluto but she annoys me to no end on Agents of SHIELD.

    Oh, what the fuck RDJ? I love that guy as an actor to, but come on. Does he think Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was shit? His ego needs to be checked. Notice he got credited above the title for Age of Ultron. The only one ABOVE the title.

    Thanks for the link, that might be the best intro to link I've ever had lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, your breakdown of Duggar week was my favorite thing I've read all week that wasn't 4 Ways a Best Picture related :-P

      RDJ needs to STFU.

      Midnight Special is going to be incredible! I can't wait for Edgerton is break out in such a big way!

      Delete
  2. I see you did not mention Exodus - and with good reason!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo on RDJ. Seems like the dude really has morphed into Tony Stark. Also boo on Natalie Portman. She sounds crazy. Lovings sounds very interesting. Looking forward to seeing that. Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Lovings has shot to the top of my Must See List for 2016!

      Delete
  4. wow, top billing, thanks for the link!

    I hope Orson Welles' The Other Side of the Wind gets a release sooner or later.
    Portman lost her oscar?! How careless. She's actually not the first to do so: http://mentalfloss.com/article/48986/10-people-who-have-misplaced-their-oscars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome!

      The issue I have with Portman is not that she misplaced it but that her attitude towards it show such carelessness that it's clear it wasn't a case of 'someone stole it' or 'we were moving it and it got misplaced' or 'it got moved and lost' but a complete disregard for it. She just doesn't care where it is.

      Delete
  5. Portman's comment sounds like a classic case of star-itis, now that she's been honored she wants to show that she's above it and not after common prizes but a THESPIAN! Spare me, give the damn thing back then or if it's really such a heavy load to be acknowledged by your peers the next time you are nominated, although with the crap she's been doing since her win that seems unlikely, do what Candice Bergen did and refuse the nomination. Although Candy Bergen's was more a recognition that she had already been amply rewarded and in the proper spirit wanted to allow other worthy work a chance. Portman won't do that, it's all self aggrandizing talk to make her look unimpressed by it all. Obviously the Oscar isn't as important as her child or her marriage but it holds a huge place in her industry so just say it was nice to be recognized for good work and shut your piehole about the rest.

    RDJ makes me ill, he was so charismatic when he started out and then proceeded to piss it all away. No one has gotten more second chances than he has, often by those little film makers when he was unemployable and fighting to get back in. Now all that has been drained away and what's left is a repugnant jackass whose smarm oozes out of the screen whenever he's on it. The ironic thing is he's not even much of an actor anymore. Where there was once quirkiness and humor has been replaced by archness and entitlement.

    I like Joel Edgerton and his moving forward in leads is nice to see. He strikes me more as a character actor, but then Gene Hackman, Robert Duvall and many of those other great actors would have seemed bound for character work as well. Joel needs a solid big breakthrough hit of his own soon though or the like many rising stars he'll plateau and fall back into second leads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that Candice Bergen refused an award.

      Your comment on RDJ...is EVERYTHING!

      I could see Joel being a dominant character actor, and I'm cool with that. Supporting roles tend to be so colorful and rich these days, so he doesn't need to be a leading man, just a prominent feature in film.

      Although I'd love for him to be the next Russell Crowe.

      Delete
    2. It wasn't so much that Candice refused an award but after she had won her fifth Emmy for Murphy Brown she notified the award committee that while she was very honored for what she had received to that point she would decline any further nominations. She felt that she had been amply rewarded and felt that there were others who should be receiving the nomination that she would possibly take. A very classy move and especially with the Emmys, who get stuck in a rut and award the same people over and over, the proper one.

      Delete
    3. That is classy. I big reason why I don't follow television awards is because they reward the same shows/performances until those shows are cancelled and it becomes tiresome and ridiculous.

      Delete
  6. Hi Fisti! Oy Natalie. I actually got really tired of her after I read how little of her own dancing she did in the black swan. She had a dance double...like Flash Dance, which is fine, but don't misrepresent yourself. She and her then boyfriend (now husband) made it out like she was able to become a prima ballerina with 6 months of training.

    Idk about RDJ comments, but perhaps they are being taken out of context. It sounds like he's dealt with some difficult indie film start ups. Perhaps the indie films he's dealt with weren't as organized. I don't think he's making a critique of all indie films. It sounds like he's telling a personal story of some of the problems he's dealt w/ on indie films.

    I've seen some wonderful indie films, but I've seen some really bad ones too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when it came out that her face was CGI transferred from her body to a dancer's body for the major scenes in the film and there was this smear campaign right in the heat of award's season and I prayed she'd lose. I was so over Black Swan at that point and I felt cheated because the bulk of the 'Oscar praise' was coming from the angle that she put her body through so much change in order to dance, and so I was pulling for a last minute Annette Bening upset (because, like, she needs to have an Oscar) but alas, it didn't happen.

      Delete
  7. No, give the Oscar to Elle Fanning or Michelle Williams. Yeah!

    Isn't Downey's father an independent filmmaker? Why couldn't he give his dad some of the money to make a film? Plus, when Downey was down on his luck, who gave him work? James Toback who is also an indie filmmaker? He needs to be reminded of where he comes from.

    Please, don't ever mention the Kartrashians. They're too stupid to know who Orson Welles is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, the Kardashian comment was just a joke :-P

      But seriously...$2,000,000 is nothing for some of these overrated young stars and so WHY CAN'T THEY DO THIS? Like, in a day, a single day, they could make this happen.

      Downey Jr. is a joke.

      Delete
  8. Kardiashiass's have no brain in the head so they would never think of giving their money to a possibly great film when they can give it to another so-called Doctor who can make their asses, ta-ta's and lips even bigger than they already are. Natalie Portman needs a spanking and then some food rammed down that tiny anorexic frame of hers. I used to like her but I got annoyed when she won for that stupid role in that insipid film. It was made out as if she danced all of it when I knew she didn't. She should learn from the stars of yesterday(except Scott and Brando) and be gracious for winning and accepting the award. Maybe she needs to go back to Star Wars and play Queen Nabuwhocares., As for RDJ-Oh my, what a silly thing to say. There have been big movies made, which made big money but are now considered stupid (Avatar but I thought it was stupid from the get go). He needs to smarten up and remember where he was a few years ago. Nobody wanted to work with him. They both need a smack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference between Scott and Brando and someone like Portman is that Scott and Brando NEVER wanted awards. They never accepted them. They never cared. That's like if Woody Allen made a Portman type comment...it wouldn't matter because he never shows up to ANY awards shows, not even the Globes when he had that special honor. He's not about them, at all.

      Portman wanted that Oscar BAD. BAAAAAAAAD!

      Delete
    2. You are so right that Portman wanted it so she is being a brat. Brando actually did accept his first Oscar for "On The Waterfront". From what i heard and read, he silently took the 2nd Oscar a couple of years after winning for The Godfather but Scott did not like how he wanted the Oscar the first time he was nominated and vowed never to feel that way again so he is true blue and Woody Allen accepts but would rather play sax in NYC. Natalie needs a good spanking!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I mean accepting it when it's given to you and outright campaigning your ass off for it are two different things. Like, Mo'Nique didn't campaign AT ALL (well, you could say her constant talking about how she wasn't going to campaign was kind of like a reverse psychology campaign) and so if she wound up saying something like "I don't care about awards" it would sound somewhat legit. This sounds like complete BS.

      Delete
  9. RDJ really shouldn't let fame get over his head. He's Iron Man now, but who knows maybe in a couple of years he'll be back doing smaller roles or thankless ones like some of the movies he did back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if he's capable of doing anything else outside of Iron Man now...so by the time Avengers 15 roles around, he'll be replaced by someone from the Disney channel and he'll be out of a job.

      Delete
  10. Lovings sounds fascinating. That is something I would totally be on board with watching. And I can't wait to hear more about the Orson Welles project.

    I find that I appreciate actors a whole lot more if I avoid listening to what they say off-screen. :-P Honestly, they need to get someone to coach them before they open their mouths -- it works for the president, at least some of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah, blurring that line between the actor and the performance can be hard once you realize they are essentially a dick in real life...or an idiot.

      This is why they have PR people! RDJ needs to fire his and hire a better one...that is, if he even has one. A man as arrogant as RDJ probably feels he doesn't need one.

      Delete
  11. It's interesting because when I first heard Portman's comments, I figured that maybe she appreciates the honor, but just doesn't worship it like others do. Now, I realize that if she were to campaign again, she would come off as a major hypocrite. Especially after working the circuit hard to win her Oscar (I mean, Redmayne/Winslet/Hathaway hard). She was really gunning for it. I also don't like how she dissed Star Wars, which may not be artistic, but I'm sure those films still bought her a nice house. I hate when actors bite the hands that feed them.

    P.S.: Thanks for the shoutout about my post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you may not like the finished product or maybe you've moved on in your life, but you should keep the trash talking of your previous films to drunken living room conversation.

      And you're very welcome!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the link! :)

    I missed the news about Edgerton's latest, but that sounds promising, indeed.

    As far as I'm concerned, Portman DESERVED that Oscar, but she could always find it and sell it to help raise money for Welles' movie. Like, I NEED to see it!

    I like RDJ's screen presence, and his Sherlock Holmes interviews with Jude Law are pretty hilarious, but these comments sting. He's done well with both small films and large ones. Would he even make a film like Chaplin now? Sadly, I think not.

    Cannes! Venice! We're missing so many good movies right now! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But of course, my friend!

      Yeah, that project sounds really interesting and I already know who my 2016 Oscar horse is going to be!

      LOL, she should sell it and give us all Welles' movie!

      RDJ...I just...WTF!

      I just hope those great movies come to us in a timely fashion!

      Delete
  13. Portman is so dumb. She is attractive and under good director she can be great but the shit that comes out of this woman's mouth occasionally rivals Gwyneth Paltrow's disconnect from the real world and you know, brain.

    Downey is a whore and seems he is forgetting that 20 years back if it wasn't for indie films he would be under the bridge because no one else wanted to hire him.

    Thanks for the link! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the most painful (or ignorant) thing about Downey's comments...because if it weren't for indie film he'd probably be living in a trailer park shooting up between his toes. He owes them...except he's too high on his own horse to feel that way.

      Delete
  14. Well, you gotta admit RDJ is right about indie cinema. That's just it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, I have to defend Portman a little.
    She was careful with how she worded it. She simply expressed her view on the subject without condemning anyone or anything. She still has it. Had she said she threw it away and that no one should seek out the opportunity to win an Oscar because that would be to worship a false idol then that would have been very narrow minded of her, but she didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that you're playing devil's advocate :-D

      Delete
    2. To Jack Natalie is what Stephen is to me :)

      Delete