Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Hit Me With Your Best Shot: Bright Star


After taking a week off (mostly because I didn't have a chance to rewatch 9 to 5), I'm back with my entry for Hit Me With Your Best Shot!  This week we talk about Jane Campion's devastatingly romantic Bright Star.  Asking me to chose my favorite single shot from this film is like my Sophie's Choice.  I mean, this film is achingly beautiful and boasts so many stunning shots.  I even wrote an ode to the film's beauty back in 2014.  So, in trying to focus on one shot, I decided to go with my gut and here it is:


I know that this isn't the most dynamic or visually flashy shot, and the film is filled with them (curtains, butterflies, flowers), but for me, Bright Star is all about the subtle touches of skin, the hands, and these moments crawled all over my skin, filling me with this warmth, this sensual exhale.  This film is the perfect definition of romance, and it is in all of those soft moments that the film fills the screen with feeling and emotion.  It's so powerful, so intricate, so detailed and completely consuming.  When his hand slowly covers hers, my heart beats a little faster, my skin feels a little tighter, my chest heaves a little higher and I exhale deeply.

I'm in love.

12 comments:

  1. I really need to see this film again, as when I saw it w/ a bunch of friends, it didn't move me as much as I had hoped. But I remember it being 'achingly beautiful' as you said, and I love LOVE hand gestures in period dramas... there's something so exquisite and heart-wrenching about it. LOVE your description of how the scene affects you as you're watching it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been a fan of Keats work for YEARS...my favorite poet, and so this film really spoke to me because I was just so fascinated by his love story (even though this is really Fanny's story). I urge you to watch it again.

      Delete
  2. That's easily one of my favorite shots of the film. (It was also the one I was planning to use, but I have another one in mind.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so beautiful. There were a few others that I could have used with their hands so elegantly overlapping, but this moment in the film was so sweet, gentle and stirring. Can't wait to see what you have in reserves!

      Delete
  3. Wow, get a room!
    :)
    As always, just love the way you talk about movies - so passionate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, this is one of the finest films ever made as it is what I think a vast return-to-form from Jane Campion as it really did a lot to flesh out the story. My favorite shot is the one where Ben Whishaw and Abbie Cornish were walking around and then stopped to freeze as it if they were in a Charlie Chaplin film which was so funny but also touching in how innocent their relationship is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, this film is a such a work of art. Interesting choice for best shot. As you say, the film excels in those subtle moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, this was a serious Sophie's Choice. Like, every single frame could be a Best Shot contender.

      Delete
  6. Awesome choice! It's such a beautiful film.

    ReplyDelete