Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Calm me, cinematic Gods, before my heart bursts from all the feels!


I don't know what I have done to deserve this, but news broke today that Xavier Dolan's next film will not be the film he's formulating with the one who has yet to wow me, Jessica Chastain, but is actually going to be A FILM WITH THE GREATEST ACTRESS OF OUR TIME; Marion Cotillard!  I have dreamed of this pairing rather vocally here a few times, even suggesting it here, and so this news is something truly out of my dreams.  My lips to God's ears.  Like, how many times can you say that?  Apparently this starts filming after Dolan wraps up his jury duties at Cannes, and this is said to be a bridge between his previous work and the larger scale production of his Chastain flick.  The rest of the cast includes Lea Seydoux (like, OMG) and Vincent Cassel, so this is bound to be epic.  Now, we can only pray that a competent US distributor realizes that Dolan's films NEED TO BE SEEN IN AMERICA and actually gets this in our theaters!  Based on Jean-Luc Lagarce's stageplay, this sounds incredible.  It looks like the film centers around writer who is dying (presumably of AIDS, from what I can gather from the small synopsis of the play) and who comes to visit his family after many years of absence only to stir up past emotions, and is said to be partly inspired by the Biblical account of The Prodigal Son and the story of Cain and Abel.  I'd assume that Cotillard and Seydoux are playing the sisters, Suzanne and Catherine.  Either way, this is sure to be my most anticipated film of whatever year it is released in!

24 comments:

  1. This is honestly so great and it fills me with so much joy! I absolutely adore Marion Cotillard and I LOVE Dolan's films. I'm so excited for both this film and The Death and Life of John F. Donovan to be released!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart is so full right now I fear I may actually pass out. This is the greatest cinematic news I've heard in, like, forever.

      Delete
  2. The Cinema Gods have heard your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They truly have! I'm forever indebted.

      Delete
  3. I am so happy! Mommy comes in the mail tomorrow. Super excited to watch it after hearing this news.

    As Irene pointed out, your letter to Dolan must have been heard amongst the Cinema Gods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think that my week of vocal Dolan adoration had something to do with this. LOL, between my open letter, my week of dedicated posts and my laboriously praising him on Twitter, maybe the cinematic God's took pity on me and gave me what my heart desires.

      I can't wait for you to see and love Mommy! When you see it, be sure to check out my review :-D

      http://afistfuloffilms.blogspot.com/2015/02/we-still-love-each-other-right.html#more

      Delete
  4. Marion Cotillard and Lea Seydoux in a Xavier Dolan film and it's actually going to happen. MOTHERFUCKER!!!! SHUT THE FUCK UP BITCH AND TAKE MY MONEY RIGHT NOW!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! YES!!!!! TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  5. I believe this dream of yours has come true:) I wonder how you would react if you ever met this grand actress in person...I am just smiling right now thinking about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm smiling too just thinking about it.

      My wife, on the other hand, is not.

      Delete
  6. This collaboration sounds great! I'm definitely going to look forward for this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JFC Dolan gets more done in one year than I do in 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He continually makes me feel unworthy of life.

      Delete
    2. BTW another reason for you to watch GoT is familiarize yourself with Harington who is also gonna be in that movie with Chastain :)

      Delete
    3. Yup! I saw that. Soon, I promise!

      Delete
  8. Dead. This needs to come out ASAP!!! (Now Dolan just needs to give Binoche a call.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolan should work with every great actress...like...for real!

      Delete
  9. I already was intrested in whatever he was going to make. I assumed that Dolan is the expert and he can choose Chastain to work with (even Fincher made Tyler Perry a good actor) so I said 'yes, if she'll be in the film that means she'll be great'. Jessica Chastain is a good actress and maybe working with Dolan will make her a better actress. Marion Cotillard is something else. Believe it or not, with her, I've seen just Inception, TDKR, Big Fish, Midnight in Paris, Contagion and The Immigrant, and I wasn't impressed by her yet. She was good but...the cast isn't the important part in Inception, she had the worst scene in the worst Nolan film, she was forgettable in both Big Fish and Contagion and I fell asleep at The Immigrant. She was great, maybe the best part, of Midnight in Paris. I have Nine, maybe I should see that in order to have an more objective opinion (and also Rust and Bone, La Vie en Rose, Two Days One Night and Public Enemies.) Still impressed by the fact that Dolan is such a good filmmaker that he makes two films in a row. That's what a genius does. Hope that both are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you must see Nine, Rust and Bone, Two Days One Night, La Vie en Rose and A Very Long Engagement. She's incredible.

      Delete
  10. Cotillard, Cassel, AND Seydoux? Wow. Sold. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty much agree with everyone on AW and how awesome this is. Marion Cotillard and Lea Seydoux in a Xavier Dolan film!!!! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this is life giving news!

      Delete