Monday, April 27, 2015

A Fistful of Thoughts...about sexy candlesticks, secret weddings and all that's wrong with Hollywood!


So, in coming up with stuff to talk about today, I found myself at a bit of a conundrum.  I wanted to address Richard Corliss dying, but I have to admit that I have never in my life read an issue of Time Magazine and so I've never even read one of his reviews.  I know that he was a very respected name/face in the industry, and that his passing was a hard thing for a lot of movie lovers, but I personally felt like I couldn't address it properly, which is also why I didn't dedicate a post to him last week.

I also really wanted to talk about the whole Bruce Jenner/Diane Sawyer interview, but I MISSED IT and so I have no idea what happened!

Don't tell me...I'll see it, eventually.

So, with all that said, I did find a few things to discuss, so let's get to it.



Don't let the pixie cut and cute little dimples fool you, Carey Mulligan is no fool.  She has been known to know what she wants to to go after it, even tracking down directors she's passionate about and pleading for roles in their films.  I commend her for her 'go-getter' attitude, but what's a shame is the reason she has to put forth the effort.  Yes, she's well aware of this as well.  I feel like I do nothing but talk about sexism in Hollywood as of late, but here's another example of an actress coming forward and saying 'enough is enough' and I commend her for just doing that.  She's young, she's talented and she's an Oscar nominee and yet even she feels the sting of 'lack of material'.  Between the lack of roles and the fact that reporters seem to be more interested in the designer of an actresses gown than the role she's nominated for, it's time for a change, a serious change.

So, moving on from a lack of roles for women to directors who like to work with them, news broke last week that the Dardenne brothers have found an actress for their next film!  Her name is Adele Haenel and I have no idea who she is!  I should though.  She's won the Rising Star award in Berlin and has two Cesars to her name (won them back to back too) so I'll be Netflixing her filmography ASAP.  If you aren't familiar with the Dardennes, then you should acquaint yourself.  They love their actresses, recently directing Marion Cotillard to her much deserved second Oscar nomination, and have directed the likes of Cecile De France and Emilie Dequenne to tremendously powerful performance.

In more casting news, Ewan McGregor has just been cast as this:


Yes, Bill Condon's Beauty and the Beast has found it's Lumiere and I couldn't be more thrilled!  I've made it no secret that the 1991 Disney classic is probably my favorite animated film of all time and that this live action film has me worried, but this cast is delicious!  From the news that Gugu Mbatha-Raw has snagged a role to the casting of Gadd and Stevens and McKellen and now this!  This cast is literally perfect, even if I don't think Emma Watson is the perfect choice for Belle (like, she's pretty and all...but...).

Lumiere is one of my favorite Disney characters, period, and McGregor is one of my favorite actors that doesn't have the fan-base he deserves, so I'm super stoked for this!

Oh, and Alan Rickman got married.

Ok, so moving on (yeah, I have little to add to that), we opened discussion talking about sexism in Hollywood, so now let's close it by talking about racism, because one of the biggest stories of last week was the fact that Native American actors and advisers literally walked off the set of Adam Sandler's latest movie due to the racist and degrading screenplay.  So, pages from the screenplay have been circulating the web, and I have to say, this isn't surprising coming from the source.  I mean, when was the last time that Adam Sandler's humor was actually relevant and, you know, funny?  His films are almost always cheap and saddled with stereotypical degradation of human rights themes and social ignorance.  Look at what he did to gay rights just a few years ago.  The only humor Sandler understands is crude humor, and crude humor just isn't relevant or funny anymore (was it ever?).  He can't even do crude right, though.  He just recycles unfunny jokes that are only written to poke fun at other people in the hopes that by disrespecting others he will get a cheap laugh.  

I'm so ready for his career to die.

Also...

Here's What I'll Be Reading Today:
Katy's Friday was So Fetch
Raquel talks the do's and don't's of blogging
Nathaniel continues celebrating A.I. in film with a discussion on 2046
Fernando talks gay subtext in film
Annie reviews Far From the Madding Crowd
Mario talks The Babadook
Allie & Jenna review Interstellar
Cindy looks at masochism and it's many cinematic forms
Getter takes a commercial break

And a LOT more since I haven't had a chance to blog browse since last Thursday!

30 comments:

  1. Go watch an Adele Haenel movie now! You can start with Celine Sciamma's 'Water Lilies'. She's a very promising actress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I added Water Lilies to my queue a few years ago, after watching Tomboy, but I didn't realize Haenel was in that until this morning. To the top of the queue it goes!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the mention :)
    I'm so super excited about the Beauty and the Beast casting so far, it's been perfect!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! That cast is awesome...and so many of them can SING!!!

      Delete
  3. Will be interesting to see McGregor as Lumiere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really intrigued and exciting by this casting.

      Delete
  4. Carey Mulligan is beyond adorable. I hope she gets more recognition...

    Omgosh I love Ewan McGregor! Yay for him being in Beauty and the Beast. Have you seen The Island with him and Scarlett Johannson? And oh my gosh, I don't like Emma Watson for Belle eitherrrrr!! SO glad to find someone who finally agrees with me. Geesh.

    Alan Rickman got married?? Whaaa?? Need to look this up...

    UGH! I DO NOT LIKE ADAM SANDLER!! And can't believe he disrespected the Native Americans that way. I mean, c'mon. Have a little decency?? I love the Native American culture. And Native American actors?? ummmmmm...yes please. Anyway, I'm glad they walked off set.

    Well hey, hey, hey MY NAME APPEARED IN ONE OF YOUR POSTS!! Kind of thrilled about that......... ::cheesy grin::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I mean...I like Watson enough I guess (although I've never seen any of those Harry Potter movies so I can't say that I am a fan) but she just doesn't feel like a Belle to me.

      Sandler needs to disappear.

      And you're very welcome for the link!

      Delete
    2. I've seen 3 Harry Potter movies. Wasn't impressed with her. I don't get why she's such a big deal.

      Delete
    3. I liked her in The Bling Ring, but in all honesty I think she's a bit of a novelty for fans of the franchise and people who like that they watched her grow up.

      Delete
  5. Pretty cool! Thanks a lot for the mention :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A new Dardenne Brothers film coming next year? YES!!!!

    I read the excerpts of that new film by Adam Sandler... if I was a woman. You goddamn right I would be offended. Not because it's crude but how stupid it is. No wonder the Native Americans walked out on set. Vanilla Ice defending Sandler isn't surprising since it's obvious how much money Sandler is paying him. Whore! To me, Sandler is a racist, a homophobe, a misogynist, and everything else and yet people still pay money to see his bullshit that aren't even worthy to be called bad movies anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wait. I almost forgot. The following comment is brought to you by this product placement and that one, and that one, this soda, this fast-food franchise, and whatever bullshit Sandler likes to sell with his bullshit.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I'll take another Dardenne film with a side of amazing performances.

      Sandler is a complete disgrace of a human being, sadly.

      Delete
  7. Love Carey Mulligan. It'd be great to see her and other actresses get better roles.

    AHH!!! Dardennes! Can't. Wait. I've never heard of Adele Haenel either, but Water Lilies is in my Netflix queue, so I need to give it a look.

    McGregor is terrific casting. Not sure about Watson. We'll see.

    LOL, I thought Alan Rickman was already married.

    Most of Sandler's work is forgettable, but if he has another performance in him like he gave in Punch-Drunk Love or even Reign Over Me, then I'd welcome another film with him. His comedies need to go away, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mully for the Oscar!

      I can't wait to see Water Lilies now :-D

      It's funny how the only stain on that impressive cast is...Belle!

      Rickman...

      I'm not a huge fan of Punch-Drunk Love, and I never saw Reign Over Me, so I'm ok with Sandler just going away :-P

      Delete
  8. Read the Adam Sandler story over the weekend and just shook my head. I'm really only surprised this hasn't happened sooner on one of his shoots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd say that shocked me too (that this has never happened before) and yet this is one of the first times he's worked with non-Americans on the set and so these people actually had pride in their heritage.

      Delete
  9. I think, considering what I have been writing about this past month, women have come far...not far enough but they have come a long way all things considered. I love the animated film, "Beauty and the Beast" but Emma Watson would not have been my first pick (tryng hard to think who I would pick who is beautiful, not uber thin, young and innocent but strong). I love Ewan McGregor so I love that he is in this film. I love Alan Rickman-he can just talk to me and it makes my knees weak-maybe it is the strong, weird type I go for:) As for Adam Sandler, I liked him with Drew Barrymore in those first 2 films they did. they are not great but I don't mind them. Do I want him to stop talking through his nose and not sound like a whining idiot? Yes but he is not known for his high calibre comedy that makes one proud to have brain cells, he kills brain cells. It is no surprise they walked off the set because...it's Adam Sandler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've said a few times that Sandler NEEDS a woman in his films to temper his tendencies. When he does a film with his 'buddies', it's a complete mess. When he gets a strong actress to work with him, like Barrymore or Aniston, they kind of restrain his humor to the point where he's likable and funny, sort of.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and yes...women have come far comparatively, and yet there are so many of the same issues just less abrasively 'there' and so it's a shame that women are still fighting the same causes that they should have abolished years ago.

      Delete
  10. I'm a big fan of crude humor if done right but Sandler is just not funny. As for Beauty and the Beast - how will that...work? How will they make McGregor into a candlestick? I just hope it looks nowhere near as awful as the visual effects in Alice in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I'm curious to see how these effects work within the scope of the film.

      Delete
    2. Dear God, let us never speak of that film again. I still want to punch Burton in the sack for that one.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, that film was atrocious.

      Delete
  11. LOVE Carey Mulligan, can't wait for Far For The Madding Crowd next week! I LOVE McGregor and the guy can sing! I'm curious how they'd make a candlestick character as a human, that'll be interesting to see. Of course initially I wanted my crush Stanley Weber, I mean the role calls for a Frenchman, no? But I'd rather see him in something else anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked they didn't try and get Dujardin, since he's like PERFECT casting, but McGregor is such a wonderful actor and can sing so well so I'm all for him in a musical!

      Delete
  12. For the record, my phone ate yet another comment on your site, but I'm not going to let it stop me. F--king Galaxy.

    Anyway, thanks for the link. I look forward to your thoughts about The Babadook. I'm sure you'll dig it.

    Sandler has been pandering for what, a decade? At least. I can totally see how a rational adult could say 'f--k this' and bounce off of one of his sets. I like crude humor, but his shit is so stale and unfunny, it's sad. He seems to have taken the Eddie Murphy route, except maybe even worse.

    Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your phone obviously doesn't like my blog.

      I'm looking forward to seeing it, hopefully this week.

      Sandler's career path is so baffling because I honestly think that he thinks what he does is...funny.

      Yikes, indeed.

      Delete