Monday, April 20, 2015

A Fistful of Thoughts...about movies Americans will refuse to watch, directors moving on, celebrities murdering each other and not-so Frenchmen!


It's Monday, so it's time to shoot the shit with A Fistful of Thoughts!  I debated just discussing the barrage of trailers and teasers we got last week, but everyone else has already done that, so do we need to talk about Superman or Batman or Star Wars again?  I'm thinking we're good on that for now.  Instead, we've got a list of films I'm dying to see that the US will almost certainly botch the distribution of, some directors announcing new projects, a nostalgic revival of sorts and a film I'm finally interested in now that I have some back story.

Let's get down to it!



There is a lot to talk about regarding Cannes this year!  I will make it there one day, hopefully, but until then I will continue to fawn all over the selections of intriguing films it'll take me years to see since American refuses to celebrate these foreign films in the way they deserve to be.  So, there's been a lot of debate over the films selected (or more precisely the films NOT selected).  Apparently some are crying favoritism, since Italy and France are dominating the slate, and not one Spanish language film is in contention, but as much as we all like to ruffle our own feathers and start pointing fingers, can we just bask in the diverse glory that is a list that includes names like Kurzel, Haynes, Audaird, Lanthimos, Maiwenn, Sorrentino, Trier, Villenueve, Van Sant, Allen, Schroeder and Garrone!  I mean, this is a thing of beauty!


Also, I think we need to give praise to Cannes for choosing to open the film with Emmanuelle Bercot's Le Tete Haute.  This is the first time that a film directed by a woman has been given the coveted opening slot since 1987 (that film was A Man in Love).  We talk a lot about supporting women's movies, movies about women and movies made by women, so this is pretty awesome.  It also stars the luminous Catherine Deneuve, so...


Oh, and did you hear that there are going to be NO SELFIES this year?  I mean, I'm sure a few will pop up, because, you know, celebrities love themselves, but there is a selfie ban at Cannes this year.  I'll admit, I have a problem with selfies.  I take way too many of them.  I post too many of them.  My friends are always giving me shit about it.  What can I say, other than I like to put myself in the action all the time, and if I were a celebrity on the red carpet at Cannes you better believe I would be walking down the carpet with phone outstretched taking one long endless selfie.  FOR REAL!  So, in other words, this banning is stupid, but hilarious at the same time.

So, we could have just talked about Cannes, I guess, but there's more to discuss today so we'll move on.

Have you ever wanted to know five things about Lars von Trier that you didn't already know?  If so, then this interview may not give you what you want since I think we kind of knew this stuff, but I just want to call bullshit on his claim that Nymphomaniac was the first film he completed sober, because, like, you have to be on something, ANYTHING, to come up with that shit.  If that's sober, I prefer my von Trier drunk as fuck.  I do kind of love that he came out and said he doesn't watch new movies, and by new movies it appears he means ANYTHING MADE SINCE HE STARTED MAKING FILMS, which is, like, over twenty years...but he did make time to see The Matrix!

Oh, Celebrity Deathmatch is back!


Really, that's all there is to say.  This news is AMAZING!

So, fans of Whiplash are going to be happy that Damien Chazelle is coming back swiftly with a new flick.  They may be shocked to know that it's a romantic musical.  Ruth over at Flixchatter is going to be sore that Miles Teller dropped out and was replaced by Ryan Gosling.  But, it also stars Emma Stone, who should be in everything, so I'm super excited about this.  Besides, I love me a good musical, and Chazelle's directing style is so sharp and exciting that his talents could serve a musical really well.

And lastly, look at this:


So, until a week or so ago, I wasn't really interested in this film at all.  I really like Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but Zemeckis is not a name I generally care for.  That being said, I recently watched Man on Wire...and that doc was SO GOOD and so now I'm really intrigued to see where they take this film, this story and more importantly, this personality.  Like, the real life Philippe Petit is so full of life and charisma and charm and just EVERYTHING that I'm dying to see how JGL handles the portrayal of the man.  I'm stumped as to why they went with an American and not one of the many charismatic Frenchmen who could have easily filled these shoes and NAILED this part, but I'm a fan of JGL, so I'm okay with this.

What do you think?

Also...

Here's What I'll Be Reading Today
Josh has posted his Top 50 Films of the decade, so far
Kevin is back to talking to us on Saturdays
David talks about Star Trek
Mario saw some shit no one else has ever heard of, again
Dan talks the new Mike Leigh film
Ruth continues to rub it in that she gets to attend Film Festivals
Bubbawheat laments over the reality of female driven Superhero films
Irene is taking a break, and I'm not happy about it
Sati reenacts The Lion King and reminds me that Game of Thrones needs to become my top priority

And lastly, as if I didn't have enough blogathons that I already need to participate in, another was brought to my attention that I want to take part in, and you can find out about it here!

36 comments:

  1. ohmygoshness I am so excited about The Walk...cuz, I mean, Joseph Gordon-Levitt...and Ben Kingsley...and crazy freaking heights that will scare me so bad but c'mon...I WILL see that movie!!

    Btw, I didn't know if you heard or not, but legendary and classic Gilbert Blythe (oh whoops...his name is actually Jonathan Crombie) passed away last week:( Please tell me you've seen Anne of Green Gables.............
    I vote you do a little 'in memory' post of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't seen Man on Wire yet, I highly recommend it. It won the Documentary Oscar a few years back, and it's brilliantly done and the story is so richly told. It has sparked my interest in what they'll do with this film, for sure.

      And I was not aware that he died. I haven't seen Anne of Green Gables in YEARS...like not since I was a toddler. I'm sorry to hear of his passing though, as I know that film had many, many fans (my oldest sister included).

      Delete
    2. I haven't seen Man on a Wire yet...I need to for sure.

      Well you should rewatch them;)

      Delete
    3. I will do that! My girls are at that age where I think they'd really love it.

      Delete
  2. Don't get me wrong I love the great von Trier films (Antichrist, Dogville, Golden Heart Trilogy), but Nymphomaniac was shit. Really, b&w, the numbers, Shia LaBeuf, the absolute useless inclusion of William Defoe the aspect ratio... f.u.c.k.IT. This film is FULL of random shityness. I would make a film like this if I blow cocaine all day, all night. Still the acting, audio editing and camera work are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Von Trier's early work was outstanding. Dogville, Breaking the Waves, Dancer in the Dark...just outstanding work. Sadly, his recent dive into perversion without substance is odd and ill-fitting. Nymphomaniac was atrocious. Antichrist was at list rich with character portrait, but it was still almost too far gone to be rewarding. Melancholia was a nice break between the two, but he needs more films of that nature than the ones he's making now.

      He, obviously, needs a drink.

      Delete
  3. Mwahahaha!! Thanks for the link and mention... sorry for rubbing it in, he..he.. but I'm very blessed there are TWO film festivals in town :P

    Gosling - blech!! I dunno why I can't stand him, but maybe if I see him in something I like I might change my mind. But then again, I always go for the underrated and most obscure actors.

    Btw, I have a problem with selfies too, I rarely take them, mostly because it always look like crap anyway, I think the only ones I took that I have not deleted were the ones in front of the Eiffel tower because I was waiting for my hubby for a half hour there and there's nothing else to do! I don't even care for celebs posting their selfies on Twitter or Instagram, it's just so narcissistic. I much prefer that they post scenery photos of the filming locations or something, or if they're in a group w/ the cast, now that's totally ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there was a film festival not too far from me two years ago, but it was like a locally run one, not a real one, and they only played films making a last dash for the Oscar attention (like, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom) and so they were films that I either already saw or were about to hit DVD.

      Gosling isn't my favorite actor, not by a long shot, but the guy has talent. I mean, his performances in Half Nelson and Blue Valentine are no joke, and he's hilarious in Crazy Stupid Love. Sometimes he can overdo his own smolder and it just comes off constipated (his performance in Drive was void of real impact, and his performance in Only God Forgives was hilariously awful).

      LOL, I take selfies everywhere. I always make a hideous face in them, but I don't care. I don't follow many celebrities, at least not on Instagram, but I kind of get the whole selfie thing. I mean, I at least try and take a selfie with a background, so people can see clearly where I am and what I'm doing ;-)

      Delete
  4. Celebrity Death Match! Yes! That poster for The Walk looks amazing. It's goung to be tough capturing Phillipe's verve. I'm guessing they went with an American actor because...Americans. In descending order, we prefer our leads to be played by white Americans/Canadians, Australians/New Zealanders, and Brits. Frenchmen might be next, provided most Americans think they're American. Otherwise, they're probably sandwiched between African Americans and Hispanics. It's evidenced by something else you touched on - movies we as a group won't watch. You know we're just too good to "read" movies, lol. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, let me say that Dell had heard of WolfCop. So...what are you trying to say (about us)? Go ahead. I'll wait.

    On an actual note, I generally dig your passion for Cannes. The you feel about it, is actually the same way I feel about going regular movies starring regular people. One day. ..I'm going to go there.

    Oh, I'm glad we're not talking about those trailers. Because...you know, I haven't seen them. I was watching shit no one has heard of.

    Thanks for link!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just trying to say that you guys work harder than most to find the hidden...gems...that no one else even gives a chance to!

      I'm obsessed with Cannes. Like...OBSESSED! My parents went on a cruise to Cannes one year, obviously not during the festival, but they took pictures of the area where the festival takes place, and I hated them in the purest of envy for like a year.

      Delete
  6. I'm not a selfie fan, I don't even like to have others take my picture but the reasoning behind the ban is a good one. There's a great deal to fit into that week and scheduling is the only way to keep it on track.

    For the two seconds I was able to look at that poster before I started to become dizzy it is very cool, but as someone who has to stand with their back against a wall on a balcony just to look out, forget about down, I won't be seeing the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen the doc? Man on Wire! I can't recommend it enough, really.

      Delete
  7. My 11-year-old and I have a goal to go to France ... who knows when? Maybe I'll get to go to Cannes in the bargain.

    Selfies are definitely not my thing -- I HATE the way I look in photos. The selfie ban is pretty hilarious. Good luck enforcing that.

    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wife and I went to France a few years ago, but didn't make it to Cannes, unfortunately, but the coast is GORGEOUS, and I can't recommend Sanary Bay enough...it's just wonderful.

      That ban...I mean...it's just hilarious!

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for the link to our site. And thanks for reading.
    I am so stoked for The Walk. I watched Man on Wire twice in a row when it came out and having actually been to the top of the towers many many times (I used to live around there) I get real nostalgic for anything trade centers.
    I like this list and am adding a few to my must watch.
    We are caving to the trailer-fest that is sweeping movie-dom these days and doing a series of podcasts about the recent slew of trailers all this week. I like talking movies. Ha.
    So great to read your posts. Thanks again for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I'm glad our blogs have crossed paths. We should keep that up. You have a very unique and fun site :-D

      I'll be sure to check out the pod-casts!

      Delete
  9. I am super excited to see Haynes' Carol, Koreeda's Our Little Sister, Audiard's Dheepan, Garrone's The Tale of Tales, Joachim Von Trier's Louder Than Bombs, Sorrentino's Youth, Van Sant's Sea of Trees and the biggest one for me, Sicario by Denis Villeneuve. FUCK! I will sell my soul for a ticket to Cannes this year. Such a fantastic lineup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also anticipating The Walk. Big fan of Zemeckis. I'm really glad he is back on track with Flight and hopefully this new film.

      Delete
    2. I didn't realize that Audiard had a new film out until I saw this list and I literally squeeled! I mean, A Prophet and Rust + Bone was such an incredible 'one-two punch' that he's quickly become one of my favorite filmmakers. I can't wait to see Dheepan!

      Delete
    3. And I'm with you on the selling of the soul...I'd do the same thing!

      Delete
  10. I too wish that we Americans would stop being so lame when it comes to foreign language films. I mean, come on, can't we just look at movies as movies no matter the language. Quite a list of names showing up at Cannes this year. I just wish they were easier to get ahold of here in the States.

    As I was watching Man on Wire, which may end up being my favorite doc of this whole thing we're doing, I couldn't fathom JGL in the part. What is he gonna do with it? Intriguing nonetheless and really looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A-MEN!

      I think that JGL has the charisma, so he could pull it off...but will he?

      Delete
  11. I prefer my Von Trier as far away from a film set as humanly possible. lol

    As a massive JGL fan, I've been excited for The Walk for awhile. I think he'll be great, and he speaks fluent French as it is so he'll probably do well with the accent. So no complaints from me.

    Going to Canne is also on my bucket list, but I have to make it to Sundance and TIFF first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You don't even like his early work, huh.

      I've heard that he speaks it fluently, so I'm cool with that. I'm not really complaining, I just find it kind of...unnecessary, but if it snags him more attention, I'm good with that.

      Delete
  12. Ah, I see you're a Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson fan. I love that guy too. He got screwed over by the WWE for not main eventing WrestleMania and going up against Brock Lesnar and instead, Lesnar had to face some Samoan sissy. At least Seth Rollins cashed in and became the WWE champ but now... WWE has banned his finishing move. Pussies.

    I am excited for Cannes as I've got a tentative line-up nearly finished as yes, there will be a Dolan film in that list. I think you know what it is.

    I'm also excited for Celebrity Deathmatch but.... I know it's going to suck because MTV always ruin a good thing as they did with the new Beavis & Butthead which were terrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I have actually never watched a single WWE anything, that was just a gif I found on the internet to explain my feelings about Deneuve being in a new movie.

      :-P

      I cannot wait for you to see Mommy!!!!

      I hope that Celebrity Deathmatch is good, or at least fun. It could suck, sure, but hopefully it'll be alright for a little while.

      Delete
    2. And for the record for anyone that had seen the show. If there was a real Celebrity Deathmatch between Diddy and Trent Reznor. Reznor, in anyway or form, would win over Diddy.

      Delete
  13. OK I am exhausted as this A to Z takes the wind out of me:) Now I am all for musicals as long as they film it like they did when Astaire and Kelly were around. I hope there is dancing and they show the whole frame not just the feet! As for selfies....I am all for Cannes:) I don't get the point to do it constantly. I can see doing it with a friend but just me-hahahaaaaa no-I would have to make faces..nope can't do it. As for the picture of the man on the high wire-OMG!!!!! I am terrified of heights so this makes me dizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're doing great with A-Z, so keep up the hard work!

      I love musicals pretty much in every form, singing, dancing, standing still and belting it, singing while dying, crying, etc.

      Just wait until The Walk is released in IMAX and in 3D ;-)

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the link! Go watch GoT man, seriously, it's good :lol:

    As for Cannes I'm dying to read the first reactions to Sicario, The Lobster and Macbeth. I hope these are good, I'm especially curious about Cotillard's performance

    I hear Von Trier is drinking again so that he could work. This guy needs to be locked up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! I've added it to my Netflix queue, so once I wrap up a few other projects, it'll get bumped to the top.

      Macbeth is one of my most anticipated of the year. Cotillard, as you know, is pretty much my favorite actress, and Kurzel has a rich and unique voice, so I'm anxious to see him direct her.

      Von Trier should probably just walk away from it all.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the link!

    LOL, that no selfie rule is a bit much, but the lineup of films at Cannes is glorious!

    If von Trier is telling the truth, then I love that he doesn't watch new movies. It's interesting that he makes films, but avoids the work of his contemporaries.

    Bring on Celebrity Deathmatch! And I'm SO ready for Chazelle's new movie!

    Yay! You watched Man on Wire! It's one of my favorite docs, and I nominate it for Picture, Director, and Editing, which it wins. :) I'm cautiously awaiting The Walk, but it could be a great role for JGL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, that Cannes lineup is EVERYTHING!

      Von Trier...like...that man is something only he could create.

      I loved Man on Wire...SO MUCH! Watched it for the upcoming Four Ways a Best Picture and I was blown away. Like Kevin, it may be my favorite Oscar winning doc of the bunch.

      Delete