Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Hit Me With Your Best Shot: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow


It's time for another Hit Me With Your Best Shot post!  I was super excited to see Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow on the schedule because it was a pivotal film in my cinephile development, and so it holds a special place in my heart.  I wish that I had fully read the rules for this entry, for if I had read the entire post before this morning, I would have gone the 'pick a shot from each episode' route, but instead I merely have one shot for you this morning.

And I'm sure it's an unexpected one.


Let me just outline this viewing experience for you first.  Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow marked a lot of firsts for me as a film-viewer.  First, it was my first strictly made Italian film.  Yes, I had seen films that took place in Italy before, but this was my first dive into Italian cinema.  So, in that respect, it was my first Marcello Mastroianni film as well, and that was a very big deal since he was soon to become one of my favorite actors of any generation and in any language.  It was, obviously, my first De Sica and, guess what; it was my first Sophia Loren!

That's a whole lot of expectation in one package, and Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow was so successful, I've been hooked all all four ever since.

When I think about this film, I always think about Adelina, or more specifically, her episode.  It was the one that struck me the strongest upon my first viewing, for many reasons but mostly because Marcello is so damn charismatic and natural that I was smitten with him so instantaneously.  The scene that I always recall though, is the very first scene, in the square.  I know that I have chosen opening scenes for my last two entries as well, but there is just something about a film putting it's best foot forward, and this one really does start off with such a rich welcoming.  The biggest reason I recall this scene though is that it was the first time I had really seen Italy as it was, this completely foreign and yet completely enticing entity.  The ease with which the people seemed to just sink into the space that was their home was something I didn't feel here in the States.  There was a looseness about everything and everyone, a beautiful feeling of 'living' that, despite circumstance that was obviously not desirable, felt so enjoyable.  I was compelled to see it for myself. 

Eventually I did.  Eventually I found myself standing in those squares, watching those people, soaking in that ease of life.

So for that, I will always think of this moment with the most absolute fondness.


I mean, you can't beat a feisty, pregnant Loren and a pathetically charming Mastroianni...and the way that the fire at her feet almost gives the impression that she is on fire is so telling of the way I'd view her as an actress...she's effing HOT in so many, many ways!

18 comments:

  1. I remember my late mother speaking fondly of the handsome Marcello Mastroianni. Boy, the pairing w/ Sophia Loren must be quite electric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, if you aren't familiar with Marcello...get familiar. He's probably the greatest (and most famous) Italian actor of any generation, and not only was he basically the Italian George Clooney (as far as suave charisma is concerned), he was an utterly brilliant actor (one of my absolute favorites) and, yes, extremely handsome.

      This is a great place to start, but his work with Fellini is not to be missed either!

      Delete
    2. Now I wish I had put one of his films on my Blindspot, but hey there's always next year ;)

      Delete
    3. They don't need to be on a list! Just watch them. La Dolce Vita, La Notte, 8 1/2, Divorce Italian Style, Le Notti Bianche, Yesterday Today and Tomorrow! He's just excellent in everything!!!

      Delete
  2. Your first Sophia? Your first Marcello? He does ooze sex to me in so many ways:) They are a great pairing and I have seen him in films and Loren in film but....never together(Gak!!) This is a film I have wanted to see for a very long time...have to get my book out and jot this one down now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great one. Saw this like seven years ago...and I've never looked back!

      Delete
  3. This is a blind spot for me. I've seen a bunch of Sophia's films but few in her native tongue aside from Two Women. I'm not totally unfamiliar with Marcello but can't say I've seen much of his work, what I have I've liked. The only time I've seen them together is in Ready to Wear, a mess of a movie, which of course was hardly an ideal first encounter. I'll add this one to my ever growing list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Ready to Wear is an absolute mess...MESS! Don't let that cloud your judgment of these two...give them a try. Their work, especially in their native tongue, is just astonishing.

      Delete
  4. I saw this film last year. Man, it is good. Sophia Loren was gorgeous and that stripping scene was a real turn-on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may prefer this performance to her Oscar winning turn.

      Delete
  5. O.K., I am adding this movie to my list now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a good one for your first sophia loren! no wonder it left an impression on you. "adelina" is my favorite segment as well (despite that great strip tease in the third). it's such an interesting story and i love all the scenes with the townspeople. get pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just such a lovely, intimate, charming little section because it feels so authentic.

      Delete
  7. Nice choice. Love this movie, even if barely found any room to nominate it that year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've only seen a handful of films from 64, and it's already a tight year!

      Delete
  8. Great post! Sophia Loren is one of my fav actresses! https://cinemaliquido.wordpress.com/2015/03/08/suggestion-power-to-us-7-actresses-you-can-be-inspired-by/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, and I love that you love Loren...she really is one of the greats! I'll check out your site soon :-D

      Delete