Wednesday, February 4, 2015

To Kill a Mockingbird; Part Two?!?!?!


I was going to save this for A Fistful of Thoughts on Monday, but, like, OMG!  This news, that Harper Lee (who famously wrote one of the most important novels of all time and then, well, disappeared) is releasing a sequel to her famed novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, was just too incredible not to discuss now.  Apparently this was originally written BEFORE she wrote To Kill a Mockingbird, but under the influence of her publisher, she developed a novel based on the flashbacks incorporated in her book; Go Set a Watchman.  After the success of To Kill a Mockingbird, she became basically a recluse, but reportedly she recently found her original manuscript for Go Set a Watchman and is now going to release it...50+ years after publishing her first and only novel!  I'm so excited for this, but weary as well.  Lee is 88.  Why in the world come out of hiding now and release something that you really don't need to release and have never cared to release prior to this?  I mean, Lee has been adamant about remaining silent, refusing to talk to reporters and even publicly denouncing a biography made by someone she claims duped her and her sister.

And then there is this:

Some critics and observers were skeptical of Ms. Lee’s role in approving the deal. All of Harper’s communication with Ms. Lee about the new book came through her lawyer, Ms. Carter, and her literary agent, Andrew Nurnberg, including the statement she gave expressing her delight that the novel would finally be published, according to Jonathan Burnham, senior vice president and publisher of Harper. “We talked to her through her lawyer and friend Tonja Carter,” Mr. Burnham said, adding that he was “completely confident” that Ms. Lee understood and approved of the deal and that speaking directly with Ms. Lee “wasn’t necessary.”

I'm wondering if this is the case of a poor old woman being manipulated by strong voices who want to profit off of her name, but regardless, I can't wait to read this.

Like, I want this NOW, but apparently I'm going to have to wait until July.

22 comments:

  1. As soon as this was announced, I had my credit card out ready to pre-order. Can't wait! This is huge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be all over this thing when it releases. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books, and it always drove me nuts she never wrote anything else. (Though she probably made millions off that book, so why work again? lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always bothered me that she never published again. I don't know...I mean, if you love what you do then you don't stop because you don't need to do it anymore...right?

      Either way, I NEED this!

      Delete
  3. Talk about coming from way out in left field. This is something I never thought I'd hear. I don't read much fiction these days, but I'd have to give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, judging from her recent protests against the exploration of her private life, I never saw this coming...but like I said, I'm not entirely sure this was all her idea.

      Delete
  4. I never actually read To Kill a Mockingbird (we read the script for some reason in high school), so I *must* check it out before July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a brilliant piece of timeless work, so yes, you MUST read it!

      Delete
  5. Hi Drew! They're discussing on MPR this as I drove to work this morning. Some ppl were skeptical that Lee wasn't a part of this and why it took so long. Well the two experts in the roundtable were convinced that she just found the manuscript recently and that she wasn't manipulated to publish it. Regardless I think it's terrific news! I never read the book but the film made such an impression to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly encourage you to read the novel, especially if you're planning on reading this one.

      As for her actual involvement in all this...I'm skeptical, but at the end of the day I care more about actually reading it, so...

      Delete
  6. This is major news and my first thought was about her health and who might be taking advantage of her. She is brilliant but the most brilliant people have been affected by dementia so that is my concern. Regardless this is momentous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so stoked about this no matter the circumstances. I teach To Kill a Mockingbird to my Advanced 7th graders. It's my favorite novel ever. I read it once a year. In fact, it's pretty much the only novel not written by Kurt Vonnegut that I've cared to read twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is the literary news of the decade!

      Delete
  8. This was an insane story that is both exciting and concerning (as you touched on). I hope this is legit and it was all done on the up-and-up. I know the anticipation will be through the roof!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, her lawyers and whatnot are really trying hard to squash the rumors that she's being used, but I have a strong feeling all their talking isn't as strong as her coming out and, you know, talking for herself...but we'll see if that happens.

      Delete
  9. Big news in the book world. Love the TKaM, let's hope the sequel is as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HUGE news, for sure...the biggest in a long time.

      Delete
  10. The story behind it you mentioned sounds sketchy as hell but I love To Kill a Mockingbird so I'm very, very interested in reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, either way...we win...I'm just not sure if she does.

      Delete