Thursday, February 19, 2015

A visual review of the works of Xavier Dolan...


It's time for another batch of Visual Reviews, and since this is Dolan Appreciation Week, there really is no better place to start!

For those unaware of what my Visual Reviews are, this is where I take a director's entire filmography and choose five images or gifs from each film to describe the film.  If you click the link above you'll see directors like Fincher, Campion and Anderson getting the full treatment.  Now, it's Dolan's turn.

Dolan is an extremely expressive filmmaker, and really those are the best kinds of directors to feature in this manner, because there are so many visual blessings in their films.  Narrowing these images down was brutal, but here we go:


I Killed My Mother (2009) ****/*****

Relentlessly Melodramatic

Expressively Intimate

LOUD!

Painfully Personal

Less One Sided Than It Seems


Heartbeats (2010) *****/*****

Dripping with Symbolism

Menage a Trois

Colorfully Persona

It Does Shallow with Style

Self Aware, but Cunningly So


Laurence Anyways (2012) *****/*****

Humbly Attentive to the Little Things

Remarkably Understanding of BOTH Sides of the Struggle

Complete Metamorphosis of Themes

Beautifully Aware

Profoundly Captivating


Tom at the Farm (2013) ****/*****

Beautifully Desperate

Something Sinister is Afoot

INTENSE!

A Little Lost on the Details

Surprisingly Layered


Mommy (2014) *****/*****

Tragically Paternal

Racing Towards Hope

Painfully Innocent


Eye Opening

A True Auteur Emerges

21 comments:

  1. I love this post! I've only seen I Killed My Mother and Laurence Anyways, but you picked the same scenes I would've. I really need to get started on Heartbeats, it's in my Instant queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heartbeats was my first Dolan. I'll talk more about that tomorrow in my final Dolan post, but WATCH IT! It's absolutely stunning, and Dolan's performance is the best he's personally put to film.

      Delete
  2. This post is amazeballs! I love the stills you've chosen. Also, I must rewatch all of his films pronto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT! I want to just sit and have a Dolan marathon. I don't know if I could handle all of those 'feels' though...I may just turn into a puddle...

      Delete
    2. I meant gifs. God, my internet is slow.

      Delete
    3. There's a mix of both stills and gifs, so I knew what you meant :-D

      Delete
  3. What a great way to review a director. When i get a chance i will look at the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's proved to be a lot of fun to take on. It's forced me to fill in missing gaps in certain filmmakers filmographies as well, because I won't do a director unless I've seen all their work.

      Delete
  4. Wow! What an amazing post. I love the concept and the imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene. I started doing these about two years ago. I've only done a handful (you can see them all if you hit the link in the post), but I love doing them. I have a few more I'm ready to do, so you'll be seeing more of these pop up over the next few months.

      Delete
  5. Heartbeats is the next film of his that I'm going to watch. He's certainly an interesting filmmaker as he knows how to create some unique visuals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's pretty much my spirit animal. Like...I want to have his babies.

      Delete
  6. Love, love, love. I'm going to watch I Killed My Mother soon, and I kinda want to revisit his other films before I see Mommy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to have a Dolan marathon, for sure. I need all his stuff to be readily available on DVD as soon as tomorrow so I can make this happen over the weekend.

      Delete
  7. Great images! I'm now excited to see his work, any recommendation to which film to take on first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Mommy is, in my eyes, his crowning achievement, but with someone like Dolan, for me at least, it's all about the progression of his sheer talent, so I start start at the beginning and work your way forward. It's so incredible to see how his understanding of filmmaking and how to get his own personal point of view across becomes so much more mature with each passing film.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful. I need to see this guy's films pronto. Heartbeats looks the most gorgeous to me. Obviously, dude's got style, and I've only seen this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heartbeats is probably is most visually compelling, but they are really all such visual gems.

      Delete
  9. What a wonderfully creative way to pay tribute to a filmmaker, Drew! There are some truly arresting shots here indeed, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ruth! I hope you get the opportunity to take in some of his works soon.

      Delete
  10. I was looking for a picture of the movie I love 'Mommy'. And I found a great picture(the moving image, named 'Eye Opening'). I want to use it. Would you mind if I store the image in my computer? Not for commercial exploitation, just for a private collection or a profile photo. (Incidentally, my English could be awkward because it isn't my mother tongue...)

    ReplyDelete