Monday, February 2, 2015

A Fistful of Thoughts...about people that kill people, people that kill animals, people that fuck animals and George Clooney!


So, first of all, I did watch the Super Bowl yesterday.  I don't care much about sports, not even like a little, but I was in a room full of really devout Seahawks fans and I grew up in New England so, for the evening, I was a hardcore Patriots fan, and that last interception to win the game was, in a word, magical.

And then I got to do this:


I'm pretty sure my friends won't be talking to me for a few days.


Anyways, in real Super Bowl news, I kind of stopped paying attention after the coin toss, because the one thing we were all waiting for was that Jurassic World trailer spot, and they aired it before the game even started (like, WTF, I almost missed it because absolutely no one was paying any attention to the TV yet).

Well, here it is:


Lot of mixed feelings about this one floating all over the web right now, but I'm so down for this.  This looks epic in so many wonderful ways.  Either it gets pulled off and becomes the greatest dino movie ever or it becomes the biggest camp fest ever, and either way, I can't wait to watch it unfold on the big screen!

Thoughts?

Moving on to movie set news; two major accidents happened last week.  First, in a movie we care about, Scorsese, who has been flirting with actually filming a film adaptation of Silence for a while now (a book that we'll be reading for A Fistful of Reads this year), has finally gone into pre-production for his film when tragedy struck in the form of structure collapsing on the Taiwan set, killing one and injuring two.  Apparently, they were aware that the structure was unsafe and were in the process of reinforcing it when it went down.  Terrible news, but even more terrible (like any one death is worse than another), the A-hole known as Suge Knight ran over a man on the set of his movie, Straight Outta Compton, killing him, and then fled the scene.  There are a lot of conflicting stories regarding how this started, but we all know how it ended, and this isn't the first time Suge has been in this kind of a situation.

Horrible.

Now, let's move on to something that completely blew my mind.  Did you know that there is a documentary being shown at the festivals that is about a man who literally fucked a dolphin?  Like, OMG, I'm not making this shit up.

Here's the teaser:


Please, PLEASE click here and watch the clip where he talks about his first sexual encounter with the dolphin.  Like, for real...this is for real...this really happened...at least he says it did and I just...OMG, what the actual fuck.

And, lastly, did you know that Gravity was based on a book?  Yeah, neither did I, but apparently the author, Tess Gerritsen is pretty pissed off that you don't know.  This article she wrote, about her lawsuit against the studio, is pretty interesting and kind of goes hand in hand with the misogyny we've been talking about recently here on the blog (and well, everyone is talking about it).  Apparently, her book was swooped up for adaptation YEARS ago and went through development hell when, it appears, behind the scenes the screenplay was adjusted to the point where they could 'get away' with calling it original and cut her out entirely.  Her lawsuit has been thrown out, which has her steaming mad, and I think she has a right to be...if what she's saying is true, but, like, I kind of believe her.

Still love the movie, but damn shame.

So that's it for my thoughts today.  

Here's what I'll be reading today:

Brittani reviewed Frank
Keith discussing 5 Phenomenal Movie Dream Sequences
Kevin details his entire week, in a segment he calls Saturday Speaks
Sati breaks down the new Game of Thrones trailer (Jesus, I really need to start watching this show)
Jess breaks down 5 Favorite Things about The Insider
Hunter reviews Terms of Endearment
Rhys reviews Foxcatcher
Ryan reviews A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
John tells us why The Night of the Living Dead remake is better than the original (which could have easily been part of Dell on Movies blogathon)

34 comments:

  1. O.K., when I see a blog post title like that in my feed reader, there is no way I'm not going to hop over here and read it. ;-) I can't click the link to listen to the dolphin guy right now because there are kids in the room. But I'll check it out later. Because you asked nicely.

    On a more serious note, that is horrible news about the deaths on movie sets. If there is any sanity and justice in the world at all, Suge Knight will never work in the entertainment industry again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, glad my title was...gripping.

      When you have a chance to check out that link, do it...it's jarring, for sure.

      I'm hoping that Suge gets what he deserves. This was awful.

      Delete
  2. Some excellent links to some great sites here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a little scared to click on this post when I saw it in our feed...but I'm glad I did! What they hey is up with that dolphin movie?! At least it's original...?
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Original, true, but the scary part is that it's true! Like, who does that?!?!?!

      Delete
  4. I listened to the audiobook of Gravity recently and the thought that ran through my mind before it started was that it shared the title with the Sandra Bullock movie but it has zip relation to the movie they produced. However whether they gutted the book or not she should be entitled to her fair portion if it was indeed the inspiration. Hollywood has been buying and changing properties for years but compensating the authors, that's only fair. Once the agreed upon sum has been paid though they can do with it as they will as long as the contract doesn't preclude that. But what sounds at issue here is that her contract was assumed along with the rest of the company when it was taken over and now is supposedly valueless. That sounds like crap to me. A contract signed in good faith is a contract and if the original company is absorbed into a larger one that shouldn't change the letter of the law. I wish her luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this is pretty much where I stand as well. It looks like she got the RAW end of the deal, and it should have been rectified for her, but instead she's basically been tossed aside like she didn't matter.

      Gross injustice, if you ask me.

      Delete
  5. Chris Pratt having an army of Velociraptors could be interesting. I'm still pretty psyched for the movie. I just hope that kid from Iron Man 3 dies early on. Seriously, he's the worst.

    WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!?! The biggest question is was this dude ever arrested and charged for beastiality? This reminds me of an old episode of King of the Hill where Hank gets humped by a dolphin at an aquarium.

    I had no idea Gravity was based on book, but after reading those articles you linked, I feel really bad for her. I believe her story, even if they changed a bunch of things, they should still give her a "based on" credit at least.

    Thanks for the link :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm all for Chris Pratt doing anything at this point.

      I have this awful feeling that I'm going to feel compelled to actually WATCH this Dolphin Lover movie.

      The Gravity thing is sad.

      And, you are SO welcome for the link!

      Delete
  6. I'm not even gonna comment on dolphin lovin', this is like something out of south park or fucking Tusk....dude should go to jail, though.

    And you need to get to watching Thrones, for a non book reader this is gotta be an awesome show, you guys do not have the frustration of 'oh dear God they replaced my fav scene with a brothel moment' I experience A LOT during it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BAH, Tusk...except, sicker...cuz it's a doc!

      I really do need to watch Thrones. I have, like, zero excuses at this point.

      Delete
  7. The Movie trailer looks quite good but one would think from the other 3 films that it is not a good idea to mix dinosaurs with people. I will not watch even that trailer about this asshole abusing a dolphin. He should be put in prison and if this is untrue, he still should be placed there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm intrigued because...like...what did happen? It's obviously been years since his encounters with the dolphin, so...maybe he did go to jail...?

      Delete
  8. People are excited about a Jurassic Park movie, Suge Knight was arrested for killing someone, and Missy Elliott guested on the Super Bowl halftime show...

    ...what, is it the 90s again?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Missy Elliott popping up out of nowhere last night pretty much made my year. I'm not sure what could top that, to be honest.

      Delete
  9. I didn't care for football in general, including Super Bowl, but I did watch some of the trailers and I'm definitely down on Jurassic World too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jesus, man! Fuckin' dolphin fucker! That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. And what's more is how matter of fact that dude is about it.

    Super Bowl game was one of the best in years. I actually did end up watching it. It maybe outshined the ads a little bit. Missed the Jurassic World teaser. Glad I caught it here. Looks great! Is there a blockbuster that doesn't star Andy Dwyer, I mean Chris Pratt. That dude is all over the place. I'm telling you, if he ever gets a decent dramatic role, he's getting a statue. People like him that much. He was up for the Chris Kyle role in American Sniper I read the other day. Would've been perfect casting, even though Cooper straight owned it.

    Thanks for the link, man! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for Pratt to get his Oscar role. He's probably the most likable guy in Hollywood right now.

      And yeah, I don't watch sports and yet...that game was really engrossing.

      You're so welcome for the link!

      Delete
  11. Dude, where are you from? Like, what part?

    Anyway, as f'd up as the entirety of this post, the guy who fucks dolphins certainly takes the cake. I didn't click on the trailer...only cause I'm not sure I can handle it.

    I used to work near a dolphin enclosure for a few years, and when my guests wouldn't leave because they were endlessly gawking at the majestic beasts, I'm pretty sure I said something like, FUCK THOSE DOLPHINS.

    I never thought anyone would do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, "fuck those dolphins"...be careful what you suggest ;-)

      And I live in the DFW area.

      Delete
    2. I grew up in Irving...but I was the first one born outside of New England.

      Hmm...

      Delete
    3. I was born and raised in Connecticut. Moved away when I was 13, and wound up here in TX about 12 years ago.

      Delete
  12. Seahawks had a chance to win. They fucked up.

    Emma Stone is so adorable. I hate Andrew Garfield for having her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma Stone is pretty much perfect in every way.

      Delete
  13. There seems to be a lot of talk going on about the football game, and I've completely missed it largely because I don't follow sports. To be honest I never even understood the basic rules of football. I remember in middle school when we played flag football and usually I would end up just wandering around the field not really sure what I was supposed to be doing.

    Now that sounds like a messed up documentary. I'm not quite sure why someone decided to make a film about a guy having a sexual relationship with a dolphin, or why anyone would be willing to fund or distribute it. That is rather bizarre.

    The whole deal with Gravity is a curious one as well. I remember there being some talk around the time it came out that it was stolen from a book but I think most of us assumed it to be just coincidence the same way the trailers initially made it look like there would be some similarities to Ray Bradbury's short story "Kaleidoscope". The basic setup (a spaceship in orbit around the Earth is destroyed leaving the surviving members of its crew stranded) is the same, but if anything the plot is exactly the opposite. Bradbury's short story was all about the hopelessness of the situation, with the (all-male) crew trying to cope with their impending doom while Gravity ends up being about a struggle to survive despite the overwhelming odds. It's kinda surprising that it was confirmed, and that's rather unfortunate as well.

    Thanks for the link, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the whole Gravity thing seems really unfortunate. I guess this thing is dead now, as the case was dropped, but awareness of these kinds of things is pretty important.

      And I love your football story! I don't care for sports in general, like at all, but I tend to get into that crowd mentality if I'm in a group of people who are watching the game.

      Delete
  14. Greatest post title ever. And I do mean ever. Wow. I'm totally at a loss as to how its even possible for a man to get it on with a dolphin. However, I'm also afraid to play the trailer, or watch the movie in case he.might actually tell me. Wtf is wrong with people. On that note, Suge Knight, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks for the thread title compliment. I have to admit, I laughed at it myself.

      But watch the trailer...it's not that explicit, but the way he matter of factly talks about it is jarring.

      Delete
  15. Emma Stone is amazing. Have you seen her DP/30 interview for Birdman? If not, highly recommended for a Stone fan.

    I've been a Patriots fan ever since I got into football in my teens, so the Super Bowl was awesome for me. :)

    Jurassic World looks great. Looking forward to it.

    Sad news on both fronts. The hit-and-run is despicable.

    That doc. LOL. Like, what?

    The Gravity news is surprising. What a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to see that interview! Maybe this afternoon.

      Delete
  16. Thanks for sharing my post! That Dolphin Lover doc looks horrifying... and yet I feel like I need to watch it out of morbid curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, you're so welcome.
      Second, I'm right there with you.

      Delete