Friday, January 23, 2015

Twice a Best Actress Bloggers Roundtable: STATS!!!


Well, Twice a Best Actress is over, so I wanted to throw together a stats page, like I did with Twice a Best Actor, so that we can see how we did overall.  There were more performances this go around (there were only 9 Actors, but 13 Actresses) and so the total points doled out (and opinions about those performances) was much more varied this time.

For the most part, we were a nice bunch, at least when you look at the numbers and the frequency with which we handed out an A of some sort!

Fritz was very nice, handing out a total of 10 A+ grades!
Looks like I was right behind him though, handing out 8 of those A+’s myself.
Kevin was right behind me, doling out 7 A+’s.
Josh handed out the most of any single grade, 11, all A’s.
Sati’s favorite grade was an A (she handed out 7)

And then there was Andrew, who was all over the place, and rarely in the A grade range.  In fact, he handed out 0 A+’s, only 3 A’s and 2 A-’s.  His most common grade was split between two, handing out 5 each of B+ and C-

Oh, and this time I wasn’t the only A-Hole to hand out an F!

Here’s the complete breakdown of grade tallies:


A+ (34)
Drew: 8
Fritz: 10
Josh: 8
Kevin: 7
Sati: 1

A (32)
Andrew: 3
Drew: 5
Fritz: 2
Josh: 11
Kevin: 4
Sati: 7

A- (16)
Andrew: 2
Drew: 2
Fritz: 4
Josh: 1
Kevin: 3
Sati: 4

B+ (15)
Andrew: 5
Josh: 1
Kevin: 5
Sati: 4

B (15)
Andrew: 4
Drew: 2
Fritz: 1
Josh: 4
Kevin: 2
Sati: 2

B- (11)
Andrew: 1
Drew: 2
Fritz: 3
Josh: 1
Kevin: 2
Sati: 2

C+ (4)
Andrew: 2
Fritz: 1
Josh: 1

C (12)
Andrew: 2
Drew: 4
Fritz: 3
Josh: 1
Kevin: 1
Sati: 1

C- (11)
Andrew: 5
Drew: 3
Kevin: 1
Sati: 2

D (15)
Andrew: 4
Drew: 1
Fritz: 3
Kevin: 2
Sati: 5

F (3)
Drew: 1
Fritz: 1
Kevin: 1

And for the hell of it, here are our average grade totals!

Josh – A- (16.785714285714) 470 total points
Kevin – B/B+ (14.535714285714) 407 total points
Fritz – B/B+ (14.107142857143) 395 total points
Drew – B (13.75) 385 total points
Sati – B-/B (12.964285714286) 363 total points
Andrew – B- (11.071428571429) 310 total points

Now we come to the part where we rank each individual performance.  There were a few ties here:

      1.       Leigh/A Streetcar Named Desire – 116
      2.       Streep/Sophie’s Choice & Taylor/Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? – 114
      3.       Swank/Boys Don’t Cry – 112
      4.       De Havilland/The Heiress – 111
      5.       Leigh/Gone with the Wind – 108
      6.       Hepburn/The Lion in Winter – 104
      7.       Bergman/Gaslight – 103
      8.       Field/Norma Rae & Foster/The Silence of the Lambs – 99
      9.       Swank/Million Dollar Baby – 94
     10.   Rainer/The Good Earth – 91
     11.   Fonda/Klute – 89
     12.   Davis/Jezebel & Rainer/The Great Ziegfeld – 86
     13.   Bergman/Anastasia & De Havilland/To Each His Own – 73
     14.   Foster/The Accused & Jackson/A Touch of Class – 71
     15.   Hepburn/Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner – 67
     16.   Hepburn/Morning Glory – 64
     17.   Hepburn/On Golden Pond – 62
     18.   Taylor/Butterfield 8 – 60
     19.   Fonda/Coming Home & Jackson/Women in Love – 59
     20.   Davis/Dangerous – 55
     21.   Streep/The Iron Lady – 47
     22.   Field/Places of the Heart – 45

And so, with that out of the way, we now have the collective scores to unveil who is most deserving of the title, Twice a Best Actress!

      1.       Leigh – 224
      2.       Swank – 206
      3.       De Havilland – 184
      4.       Rainer – 177
      5.       Bergman – 176
      6.       Taylor – 175
      7.       Foster – 170
      8.       Hepburn (2nd Pair of Wins) – 166
      9.       Streep – 161
     10.   Fonda – 148
     11.   Field – 144
     12.   Davis – 141
     13.   Hepburn (1st Pair of Wins) – 131
     14.   Jackson – 130

What do you think?  Are you in agreement of that #1?  How shocked are you that Swank came in #2?

For comparison, you can see the Twice a Best Actor stats here.


One more time, I want to thank my amazing panel of bloggers.  This project would never have been possible without their time, opinions, passion and dedication, and I’m so grateful to be among a community of bloggers who are this giving and this amazing!

22 comments:

  1. Based on name only and what we generally think each actress's place in history is, its a huge shock to see Swank. However, when we isolate just those two performances it's not much of a surprise at all, at least to me. Both were phenomenal efforts. Great work guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she's rightfully #2 on that list...but you're right, on name alone, no one would have ever imagined!

      Thanks for reading and being a part of the discussion :-D

      Delete
  2. That's so cool! :) Thanks a lot for all your hard work.

    Personally, I am not shocked that Swank is second - what shocks me more is that Leigh in Gone with the Wind is only fifth overall.

    I am also a little shocked that I was generous :) I didn't actually notice that while giving out the grades :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, you were VERY generous, but I think coming from this from different perspectives makes the difference. Some of films that you saw a while ago, you were able to develop appreciation for...and we saw it for the first time and kind of cringed :-P

      Delete
    2. That's true. But I also have to be honest and say that I have not always been as neutral as I would like to be. In some cases, my love for certain performers influenced my decision

      Delete
    3. And that happens, which is why I liked doing this as a panel, with a whole array of different opinions, biases and the like. It makes it more honest in the long run :-D

      Delete
  3. Very cool. I'm not surprised that Vivien came in first, those are two almost perfect performances. I am shocked that Swank came in second, although both her winning performances are solid she's a variable talent with the rest of her work indifferent unlike Vivien who was consistently excellent.

    The single rankings seem about right until it gets to Hepburn's three besides Lion in Winter. I would move all the performances up above them in about the same order except Meryl Streep's arch piece of performance art in The Iron Lady which to me is one of the worst winning performances ever.

    It makes me sad that Glenda Jackson ended up last since she's such a talent even though these two performances aren't indicative of her best work. I enjoyed A Touch of Class more than the panel but pleasant though it may be it's not an Oscar winning performance.

    Likewise with Bette Davis ranking so low it shows that the Oscars are rarely awarded for a performers best work.

    I enjoyed the series tremendously, everyone did a wonderful job of critiquing. I was always fun week after week to read the various and varying takes on all the actresses work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed this Joel, and thank you so much for coming by every week to weigh in! Your insight on these actresses, their performances and films and just your love of cinema is infectious!

      Delete
  4. These were very fun to read - and I bet fun to write, too!

    Not at all surprised that Vivien Leigh came out on top, and specifically for Streetcar, easily one of the greatest performances of all time if not THE greatest.

    Looking at the list of performances I'm not really surprised that Swank is in second overall. Most of the double winners had at least one performance that is seen (either at the time or in retrospect) as not really up to par, except for Leigh and Swank, although there are people who really don't like Million Dollar Baby, but overall her performance is still well-regarded.

    What I was surprised by was that Hepburn's Lion In Winter performance didn't make the top five. I would have it in the top three easily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hepburn still did good...she's #6 (#7 if you count the tie) and she's only 4 points away from the #5 performance...but those six that beat her are great performances, and all of them I'd place above her as well (well, maybe not Leigh's first win).

      I'm glad you enjoyed reading these. They were a blast to write!

      Delete
  5. I agree with Leigh being #1 and when one looks at Swank's work it makes sense she is #2 because they are legitimate wins. I personally love it that Louise Rainer is so high up. She deserves some love since she is so forgotten today. When others win for films that they should have won for the year before or because they are old or because something bad happened to them one realizes who should have won that year instead. Hmmmm. that could be your next topic-pick a few years and ask who should have won that year. This would be neat to read

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like an awesome feature! This stats page was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun to do, and it was all the more fun thanks to the great bloggers who got involved.

      Delete
  7. Wait, I only gave one A+? I must like Clarice more than I thought. This was amazing. I've never seen more classic movies in my life. Although I could have gone my whole life without seeing Women in Love... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Foster sure appreciated your love.

      I'm glad you had fun! It was great having you on the panel.

      Delete
  8. Bless you for crunching all these numbers, man. Love it! Not surprised at all on the top two ladies. They are definitely the two that truly deserved both wins. Looks like I was one of the nicest graders. This was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, crunching these numbers was such a bitch. I was halfway through and I realized that I added wrong on one of the posters (I think it was Fritz) and I had to go back through and recount and make sure it was right...but it was worth it!

      And than you for being a part of this!

      Delete
  9. I love seeing these breakdowns! and had such a great time being involved with this. thanks again for asking me to join!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant post! Thanks for putting this together.

    Wow, am I TOO nice to these ladies? :P It's great that Leigh topped the list, and Swank's placement makes sense if you look at her performances. Interesting stuff all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were nice ;-)

      This was a lot of fun. I wholly expect you to be back for Twice a Supporting Winner...whenever that happens.

      Delete