Saturday, January 24, 2015

Too much fluff...


I’ve been a fan of Gabriel Iglasias for a long time.  The way he tells a story is really like no other mainstream comedian working today.  He just has this relaxed knack for making his stories so relatable.  When Fluffy talks, it’s as if we’re in his living room, sitting on his couch with our hands in a bowl of potato chips and our attention firmly set on his moving lips.  He just has that effortless quality.

It also doesn’t hurt that his stories are funny.  He has a normal life with an abnormal job, and the two make for some really relatable and inspired stories.

But this just didn’t work for me.

It’s hard to decide how to review a comedy special, because there isn’t a plot, but a collection of stories and jokes, and so without re-telling you every story and joke, it’s hard to truly ‘review’ this.  But I’ll try my hardest.


My thoughts, exactly...
Two things about ‘The Fluffy Movie’ irk me. 

First, Gabriel’s material just isn’t as strong.  This really is the main reason why ‘The Fluffy Movie’ ultimately doesn’t work as a whole.  He’s released quite a few comedy specials, and all of them have been pretty on the money.  His stories about his work on ‘Magic Mike’ or his travels through Hawaii or his frustrations with his step son are really, truly, hilarious.  Sadly, the material on ‘The Fluffy Movie’ just isn’t as funny.  His tone is also too direct at points, dragging out his stories in a way that lay flat for too long until he finally reaches the end of a ‘not so funny’ story to hit that one funny moment, and the effect is lost.  He also choses some more mature material (not content-wise), in that he discusses some weighter personal matters; like his weight (shocker) and reuniting with his father.  The weight stories are laborious and uninteresting, unfortunately (we know you’re fluffy, we know you’ve lost weight, we know you like being fluffy, we know it’s a health risk) and the last story, about his father, while touching, is just not funny.  It’s not funny.  This is a comedy special.  Your stories NEED to be funny.  I want to laugh, and while I care enough about you as a performer to be happy for you when your life and your issues come together in your favor, I didn’t pay to hear a heartwarming story; I paid to LAUGH!

Second, Gabriel’s ego is getting too big.  He’s become extremely famous in a short period of time.  In about a five year span, he’s become GLOBAL, and he knows it…to the point where he likes to remind us about it, and this takes away from his usually likable persona.  He’s getting full of himself, and his overly vocal ‘humility’ is starting to feel forced and fake.


I haven’t given up on Fluffy.  When his next comedy special comes out, I’ll see it, but he’s on thin ice.  He needs to develop some new material and not just rely on the previous laughs he got for jokes he’s already told us.  I don’t want an extension of a story you already told me about your step son and how little he cares about his hygiene.  I want something fresh, something exciting, and most of all, I want something funny.

Sadly, I give this a D.  Fluffy needs to step up his game.

10 comments:

  1. I completely forgot about Gabriel Iglesias. I'm sorry you didn't like this more! I hate watching shitty stand up specials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to live exclusively on stand up specials, but outside of Kevin Hart, I haven't seen anything in years. I remember this dude coming up...and while he was funny, I remember him being very hit-or-miss. This one sounds like a miss. A huge one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hart's standup, at least the last one I saw, blows this out of the water in a very large way.

      Delete
  3. I don't watch a lot of stand-up specials anymore. They're just not the same. I think the last one I enjoyed was Eddie Griffin's "Voodoo Child". And don't tell me to go see Dane Cook. He's not funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name Dane Cook makes my stomach hurt.

      Delete
  4. I have not even heard of him until recently and saw some clips from this and did not find him funny...I actually found him smarmy. He isn't related to the other Iglasias is he (you know father son singing blahs)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, I've never even seen one of Iglesias' specials. I guess I should go with the earlier stuff if I decide to check one out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His last two standup shows were great...especially the one where he talks about his experience on Magic Mike...like, those stories are incredibly hilarious...but this was just a miss.

      Delete