Thursday, January 8, 2015

Thursday Movie Picks: Irreparable Mistake


It's Thursday, which means it's time for another installment in Wandering Through the Shelves' Thursday Movie Picks!  I hope I can keep these up, since they are really fun.  Last week we talked about Bank Robberies, and this week it's all about...



Now, I'll say this.  I debated on what was a 'mistake' versus a 'poor decision', and in the end I decided that they were both kind of the same thing, and so I went with that thought.  Here is what that thought produced.

Mean Creek

The first film that came to mind was Mean Creek.  This brilliant little seen film contains a shocking moment when a group of friends, determined to play a harsh prank on a neighborhood bully, get more than they bargained for when he...drowns.  This decision to 'teach him a lesson' had the ultimate of consequences and proved to be a mistake that they could not repair.

Jurassic Park
First mistake was thinking that you could play God and actually resurrect those that God himself saw fit to destroy, but the biggest mistake was trusting this guy; am I right!  I mean, WTF.  Just look at him.  You know he's bound to fuck up EVERYTHING; and he does.


Titanic
Yeah, this was a big screw up.  Talk about the biggest example of pure arrogance completely ruining everyone in it's wake.  Shortage of lifeboats, over zealous speeds, complete disregard for safety and danger.  I mean, this was a mess!

BONUS 

Prisoners
 I wanted to highlight the above three as my selections here because, I kind of wanted to highlight good movies, but this shitty flick deserves to be mentioned for the sheer fact that every single decision made throughout the entirety of this movie, from first to final frame, is dumb as fuck.  Every single character comes off like a complete and total retard.  What a stupid, stupid movie.

16 comments:

  1. Cool, more love for Mean Creek! Yup, epic screw-ups in the others. And ouch!...for Prisoners. I actually like that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really shocked that Mean Creek was even thought of by anyone else...it was the first one I thought of but was convinced that pretty much everyone else forgot it even existed.

      Delete
    2. Haha nope...I did not forget Mean Creek, it's not an easily forgotten film :)

      Delete
    3. Oh, I agree with you on that. I merely meant that I didn't think many people saw it to even remember that it ever came out.

      Delete
  2. OMG I picked Jurassic Park too. lol These are excellent picks, I'm glad to see so much love for Mean Creek.

    And shut up, I liked Prisoners! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm like WAY in the minority with regards to Prisoners :-P

      And, yup, so cool to see Jurassic Park on both of our lists!

      Delete
  3. Great choices! I originally had A Night to Remember from '58 on my list but decided one boat disaster was enough! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who loathed Prisoners!

    My three:

    1. Howards End (1992): Mistake-Vanessa Redgrave's family decides not to honor her last request. Result-All their lives are more or less ruined by the end.

    2. The Poseidon Adventure (1972): Mistake-If only the irresponsible Linarcos had listened to the Captain when he said they needed to take on ballast. Result-The big flip and an ever shrinking group of survivors.

    3. In Old Chicago (1937): Mistake-If only Mrs. O'Leary had tied up that cow. Result-Old Chicago is toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY to hating Prisoners!

      I love the way you spun Howards End. Love that movie, and will admit I didn't even think of it here, but it fits!

      Delete
  4. This is very interesting. The first film intrigues me as I have not heard of it. When did it come out? Another to add to my long, long list. Titanic-the actual ship and everything to do with it-I agree there were so many errors and mainly due to arrogance. I thought you were talking about this actual movie because it sucks! James Cameron is someone i want to punch in the face especially for his bombastic acceptance speech. I have read quite a bit about Titanic and there were so many errors in this flick I wanted to scream. I have wanted to see Prisoners...now i really want to see it:)....add another

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mean Creek was released in 2004. It actually lands all over my personal Fisti Awards that year, snagging nominations for Original Screenplay, Cinematography and Score and wins for Original Song and Sound. It's a really great movie, and in retrospect would probably land on my Best Picture ballot.

      And I love Titanic...but I know that many hate it now.

      LOL, Prisoners has a lot of support from fans, but I hated it...like HATED it.

      Delete
  5. There's Mean Creek again. I gotta get on that soon. Jurassic Park: classic irreparable mistake! And, now, maybe I shouldn't see Prisoners. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, you must see Mean Creek, and YES, you must skip Prisoners.

      ;-)

      Delete
  6. Love these! Though, small boo for your bonus pick. :P

    ReplyDelete