Thursday, January 1, 2015

Thursday Movie Picks: Bank Robberies


Happy New Year, everyone!  Let's get this year started off right, and this seems like a great way to start!  I've seen these Thursday Movie Picks posts floating around from blog to blog all year, and while I was intrigued, I didn't make the time to really investigate what was going on, until yesterday.  I finally tracked this series down and found that it was started by Wandering Through the Shelves.  Well, the list of themes for 2015 is up, and so I decided to make a real conscious effort to play along this year.  I may miss a week or two, but I'm going to try really hard not to.

Here's today's theme:



Now, I was on a tight leash to get this first one done, and since I'm new to this I didn't want to think too far outside the box, for fear of breaking the rules, so these three picks may not be all that inspiring, but I'm going to push harder for next week (I have time to stew over that one).

Fun with Dick and Jane
The first movie I thought of was Fun with Dick and Jane, not because it's a great movie but because, well, just watch:


The shot afterwards, on the News, of Poehler getting tackled into the bushes, is life giving.  The movie is actually pretty funny, with Carrey and Leoni sparring off one another rather beautifully, and while the eventual bank robbery isn't super clever or anything, it's entertaining for sure!

Sexy Beast
Now, this is a great movie, and what makes it so great is that, while the actual bank robbery is exciting and well thought out, the character development that takes place leading up to that robbery is so richly rewarding.  This is such a smart thriller, a film that understands the building of themes and how important it is to create a tone that permeates, a tone that can establish itself within the plot of a film (a bank robbery) and the characters that dwell within it.


And, while this may seem like an obvious choice, like, this should probably be on every list, right?  I mean, this is just an incredible movie, from start to finish.  Such depth, such remarkable character development filling every single frame of this film!  One of the greatest films of the 70's, Pacino's finest performance to date and one of the most authentic portrayals of desperation I've ever seen put to film.  

18 comments:

  1. What a fun idea!

    I agree Dog Day Afternoon is pretty much the gold standard so I'm doing three others.

    The first thing that came to mind for some reason is the absurd 1971 Bette Davis/Ernest Borgnine caper "comedy" where they dress up like hippies and rob banks on a motorcycle. It's a curio at best.

    The next was Inside Man. Such a clever flick, and the only Spike Lee film I've ever really liked. An interesting story and an amazing cast.

    My third, How to Beat the High Co$t of Living, might bend the definition slightly but still deals with a robbery of money from a supposedly secure location. It's goofy and stretches believability but with Jessica Lange, Jane Curtin and Susan St. James in the leads it's a fun watch.

    I'm off to wander through Wandering Through the Shelves and the other Thursday picks. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inside Man is a great choice for this category. I had that on my list too. I haven't seen the other two you mentioned. I'll have to check those out.

      I'm glad you're going to wander over to Wandering Through the Shelves!

      Delete
  2. So glad you're taking part this year. Love all of these movies...plus the original Fun with Dick & Jane. Dog Day is just phenomenal from start to finish. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should see the original Dick and Jane...eventually.

      Delete
  3. I still have to see Sexy Beast(OMG I have a huge list already of films to see). Dog Day Afternoon is a great film even though I haven't seen it in years. I have not seen Fun With Dick and Jane and it looks like a fun romp. I have to see the original film too (another to add). I would add The Asphalt Jungle which is a great gem and Bandits! I really enjoyed the latter film. I came across it one night channel surfing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I contemplated Bandits. I really love that film, and the heist is so clever.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you're doing these too! I jumped on the bandwagon late last year, and I've been having a lot of fun with this. The only one I've seen on this list is Fun with Dick & Jane, which I don't remember much of. I suck. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU NEED TO SEE DOG DAY AFTERNOON!

      The end.

      Delete
  5. Fun with Dick & Jane is hilarious. My parents got a kick out of that film. Especially in the fact that Jim Carrey gets deported for a while as he is trying to get work like the rest of the immigrants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw this on Christmas day, in New Mexico, with my wife and parents in a theater full of Mexicans and literally squirmed in my seat during that scene, since we were the only ones laughing...

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard of Fun with Dick and Jane before. I do like Tea Leoni a lot, I had no idea she's done a movie w/ Carrey, might have to give that one a shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprisingly really funny, and holds up on multiple watches. Some of those scenes are just hilarious.

      Delete
  7. I never saw Fun with Dick and Jane. I may have to now. Dog Day Afternoon just has to be mentioned here. It really is the best bank robbery movie I've ever seen. I have to get into Glazer. I've never seen any of his movies. Sexy Beast was always an intriguing title and now even more so with all the love for Under the Skin (will be seeing that one soon). Cool picks, bro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sexy Beast is a very different animal than Under the Skin and Birth. It's a different genre, but still has that atmospheric control that he exhibits to near perfection in his last two efforts. The more I reflect on this one, the more I'm astonished with it.

      Delete
  8. I have seen Fun with Dick and Jane but that was a few years back and I honestly can't remember a thing about it. Dog Day Afternoon is on my list of course and Sexy Beast I've never even heard off before.

    Anyway, glad to have you join us this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sexy Beast is such a great film. I'm shocked how many haven't seen or heard of it!

      I'm glad to be a part of this this year. I already have next week mapped out :-D

      Delete
  9. Nice picks man. I haven't seen Fun with Dick and Jane though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you should. It's pretty funny.

      Delete