Monday, January 26, 2015

SAG Winners!

So, last night SAG predicted the Oscars, and we saw a slight surprise and a possible turn of events and so let's just get right into talking about these wins.

Supporting Actress ~ Patricia Arquette
There isn't a whole lot to say about what this win means for her with regards to an Oscar, because we've known she was going to win that undeserved Oscar for months now, but a word of advice, when you actually do win the Oscar, don't fake tears and surprise like you did last night, and DON'T read from a piece of paper.  You looked a mess and felt boring as fuck.  Spice it up a little.  Give a better speech than you did a performance, please.

Supporting Actor ~ J.K. Simmons
Much like Arquette, we've known this was coming for months and so we're used to it, and he's used to it, so he didn't fake anything; he just got up there, said what he had to say about appreciating every actor that 'supported' his film, made a joke about sleeping with the director (his wife is a director) and then walked off stage; like a pro.

Lead Actress ~ Julianne Moore
Despite lack of critics' wins, this was inevitable; it was Moore's year and we all knew it.  It's hard to be mad at this, too, because despite the fact that this may not be her finest performance (I haven't seen it, so I can't judge) and despite the fact that she has some stiff competition for Oscar (Pike is amazing, and Cotillard is always amazing), Moore has been doing this for so long and is due.  She deserves to have 'Academy Award Winner' in front of her name.  Actors rarely win for their best performance.  It's all about politics and timing, and the timing is right for her.  Beautiful speech too, so yay for her.

Lead Actor ~ Eddie Redmayne
Now, this is where we can start trying to figure out what this means for an Oscar, because this race is, at the moment, wide open.  I thought for a certainty that Keaton had this one in the bag.  He seemed to fit the SAG mold rather well, but this turn of events has me worried for his Oscar chances (why am I worried?  I haven't seen the film and I don't generally care for him as an actor...).  Redmayne has the BAFTA, we can all assume, and so that will mean that Redmayne will have BAFTA, SAG and Globe walking into Oscar night, while Keaton has a Globe, two BFCA's and the bulk of the critics' wins.  And then there is Cooper, who's film is gaining a LOT of traction.  It's, in all honesty, a three way race that I feel is going to come down to a photo finish.

I'm still betting on Keaton, because...

Ensemble ~ Birdman
This film is making a lot of ground in an attempt to dethrone Boyhood, and it could possibly pull it off.  With PGA and now SAG wins under it's belt, it's poised to make a mad dash for Oscar glory, and if that's the case, Keaton stands a good chance of benefiting from the support.  Does an ensemble win mean an Oscar Best Picture win?  No.  Look at films like The Help (which wasn't anywhere near a Best Picture win), but then again, this is starting to remind me a little of The King's Speech.  Remember when everyone was pretty certain The Social Network was going to sweep through to Oscar, and it won the Globe and BFCA...and then The King's Speech, in one weekend, took PGA, DGA and SAG.  Let's see what happens with the Director's Guild...

18 comments:

  1. It's nice that there's at least competition in one of the categories.

    I'm delighted for Julianne, I haven't seen her film yet but she is rarely less than excellent and has finished out of the money several times when she was the rightful winner so I don't think anyone could begrudge her. If she wins as it looks likely I think it's a shame it will have taken 60 plus years since Shirley Booth won for another actress in her fifties to be awarded.

    It's also great that JK Simmons looks like a sure thing. The supporting awards should go to those great journeymen character actors who toil in the background for years, and Simmons is one of the best, rather than those vulgar grabs for a prize like Julia Roberts tried last year when she was clearly a lead.

    The only one I could care less about is Patricia Arquette. I've always found her a limited, boring actress and from what I've heard about her performance this is more of the same. I haven't seen Boyhood yet but will be rectifying that by week's end. Who knows she may surprise me though I'm not hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy for Moore and Simmons, although I really wish that Norton were the frontrunner, simply because his career deserves an Oscar.

      You know how I feel about Boyhood.

      Delete
  2. Can we please find a way for you to have your own show for the Oscars, because your comments are hilarious!! :D
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. I didn't see the award ceremony, but your commentary is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thankfully missed Arquette's acceptance speech. How can it be a surprise when you are reading your own speech? Why is Boyhood up? Why? OK now glad Moore won-I haven't seen the film but it is her year. I am voting for Keaton still even though Redmayne won. Again, I haven't seen the film, but it is often a shoe in for actors when they have to twist their face and body up to do an acting job. I want to see the film but does anyone recall that Hawking dropped his wife of many years and married someone else? The big love story that is being pushed doesn't ring true to me because of what happened many years later. Is Debbie Reynolds losing a few brain cells? I love her but she kept saying Singing In The Rain is her favourite (which it wasn't) and then she said The Unsinkable Molly Brown is her favourite (which it is). I always worry when they are older and have to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BAHAHA, I wanted to talk about Reynolds' bout of Alzheimer last night, but forgot. That was my favorite part of the night!

      Delete
  5. Yeah I just....there is this talk of how many people Redmayne blew to get this over at imdb. He might have just done that because that is close to what he was doing with all the phone calls, fucking lunches, taking pictures with some high profile people...I bet baskets of muffins were involved too.

    That weasel.

    Bad enough one Oscar bait is winning over a superb performance but two is beyond my comprehension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he's been kissing ass all season, and it's been obvious. I'm hoping that it backfires on him. I mean, make it stop...please!

      Delete
  6. I'm just happy Birdman won the ensemble and I want Keaton to win Best Actor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't know why I want Keaton to win, other than the fact that he comes off so grateful and gracious and humble and just like a really, really nice guy.

      Delete
  7. I really hope Keaton wins the Oscar. I like Redmayne's performance, but his relentless campaign has rubbed me wrong. I mean, I'd campaign too, but it's getting ridiculous. Maybe not as bad as Aniston's, though. Birdman just doesn't seem like a Best Picture winner if Keaton doesn't win. He's front and center in the film. I don't see how the film would get so many votes without him tagging along. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Redmayne is the ultimate kiss-ass it appears, and his desperation is ridiculous.

      Delete
  8. Yes, please dethrone Boyhood, Birdman! You're so much better! I can't believe you haven't seen it yet.

    I guess I'm one of the few that isn't pissed about Redmayne's win. If I was voting, I'd vote for Keaton, but Redmayne was excellent in Theory. Beyond excellent, actually. I don't think he's campaigning too aggressively either (like Aniston) I think it's just the nature of the film that is making it seem like he's doing a lot of it.

    Just Keep Simmon's speech was awesome. "above average children" lmao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to see Theory...

      I think the only reason I kind of hate that Redmayne is making a dash for the Oscar is that I was so solid in my Keaton faith for so long that to see myself be wrong about this is going to piss me off.

      LOL.

      Delete
  9. I'm award-weary right now so I kinda stopped following 'em until Oscar time. That said, I'm disappointed Keaton didn't win this time around, but I sure hope he'd get that Oscar as he so deserves it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still betting on Keaton for the Oscar, but his sights aren't as clear as I expected them to be...sadly.

      Delete