Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Oh, the controversy!


So, we all know what happened here.  It felt like mere moments after the poster for the controversial ‘The Interview’ was released, North Korea declared war on The United States.  Not quite literally, but pretty much.  Kim Jong-un made it pretty clear that he was NOT happy about being the subject of an assassination flick, and he stated that if the film were released, he would see this as an act of war.  Then there was the Sony hack, which appears to have something to do with North Korea as well, and threats to recreate the atrocities of 9/11 on any theater that dares play the film.

Then Sony pulled it, got a LOT of flak for it, decided to back out of the hole they jumped into and released it anyway, and now the world thinks the whole thing was a ploy to pump up interest in the film.

Who cares, just see the movie because it’s HILARIOUS!



So, like any film with this much attention heaped all over it because of so-called controversy, there are bound to be people who just don’t think it lives up.  There is so much hype and expectations here thanks to all the attention it received.  Is it the best comedy of the year?  No.  In fact, Rogen’s ‘Neighbors’, which was released earlier in the year (to zero controversy whatsoever), was funnier, as a whole, but MY GOD does ‘The Interview’ understands its audience, its purpose and its intentions so well.  Should they have changed the name of the antagonist here?  Who cares!  I don’t.  I mean, sure, it would have possibly lessened the controversy and the ‘hard feelings’, but seriously, it would have been the same thing, and daring to ‘go there’ makes me respect this film all the more.

You have cohunes, my friends.

Everyone knows the plot; a celebrity interviewer, Dave Skylark, working on a shameless television show that is seen as a joke more than anything else and his producer, Aaron Rapoport, get the opportunity of their careers when it us uncovered that Kim Jong-un LOVES their show.  Next thing they know, they’re flying to North Korea to conduct a scripted interview with the most hated man in the world (like, for real), but they have extra baggage (in the wrong baggage) in the form of poison intended for Kim Jong-un.  Yep, before leaving for their ‘interview’, they are approached and cohersed into agreeing to assassinate Kim.  Once they arrive, things get murky, with lots of honeypotting going on (I think I’m in love with this phrase now), and soon Dave is practically besties with Kim and Aaron finds himself the only straight man intent on finishing the mission.


There have been so many critics and bloggers attacking this film for its idea of humor, saying that it is misogynistic and homophobic, but in all honesty, I saw none of that.  I thought that the obvious jokes with regards to sex and sexual orientation were well played and innocent in nature and not a single one felt like a jab or an ill directed comment.  I mean, it’s a comedy people, and comedies work best when they are allowed to poke fun at the world we live in, exposing it in a way for the ridiculousness that it is.  Besides, Rogen and Franco (and the rest of their ‘crew’) have made a habit out of developing and perfecting this kind of humor.  Franco, especially, is comfortable enough with himself to poke fun at his own persona (so great in ‘This is the End’) and so this felt like an extension of that.

Also, he’s never been funnier, like, for real.

This ensemble is pretty awesome.  Rogen continues his shtick, and it works, and Caplan (who I didn’t even recognize), vamps it up well, but really this is the Franco/Park show and they make this film so incredibly watchable, likable and quotable.  Such a brilliant duo.  They work off one another magically, with Park exceeding any expectations I could have had for his ‘character’ in that final interview (like, comedic perfection), giving me one of the greatest cinematic moments of 2014.

Duo of the year?  Probably!
The way that Kim’s persona is given such ‘sides’ and the clever way that the North Korean government and the people who are oppressed by it are portrayed gives this film a great sense of realism despite the audacity.  Like, we are laughing at another person’s very real pain, and yet I don’t feel that bad about it.

Nor should I.


SPOILER, Kim Jong-un dies, so, like, if I were him I’d be pissed too, but I’m not him, and I laughed my butt off, so yay for me!

I've been in a really good mood with grades today, and why change that now.  A!!!!!  Like, come on people...this shit is funny!

16 comments:

  1. The international controversy over this movie was crazy! I don't have a particular desire to see this anytime soon, but I'm glad you loved it so much. :-)

    Some people seem to thrive on being offended by alleged misogyny, homophobia and such in films. I don't get it. There is enough real prejudice -- and serious issues related to race gender and sexuality -- that need to be addressed; people don't need to dig for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with your second paragraph...completely.

      Delete
  2. I thought it was hilarious. Especially the stuff about Kim Jong-Un and his daddy issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That whole interview scene...the teary eyed "Fuck you Dave" was like the best thing ever.

      Delete
  3. Wow. I wanted to love this, and the jokes fell flat for me. I'm a big Rogen fan, but this all felt like lazy and obvious humor, which Rogen, Franco and their crew usually do a great job with. It just didn't work at all for me this time. It wasn't engaging. I actually gave this a D. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was funny, because while I was writing this I was trying to think of something that was off...something that would hold this back for me...and yet the delivery of every joke that should have fallen flat was so spot on that it sold it, for me at least. I mean, Franco was ON FIRE here...his facial expressions were gold.

      Delete
  4. I think I gave it a B- or something like that. Still, it was funny, and I'm glad I watched it. It's not nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just felt like this was so ballsy and so effortlessly so, and Franco and Park are just so IN THIS that I couldn't not absolutely adore them for it.

      Delete
  5. I thought Franco was funnier in This is the End and Pineapple Express but he really embraced the character here. Such a great comedy and I really don't understand the people who bash it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think This is the End is the pinnacle of his hilarity, but he was just aces here...like, so in this.

      The hate is ridiculous.

      Delete
  6. Ahhh the hoopla about this film and now it is yesterday's news. I remember the huge hoopla over The Thornbirds-it was denounced by priests and even made major news where they dedicated a whole hour on this TV mini series. Does anyone remember this? Nope. Noone will remember the hoopla of this film either and eventually we will all see it on TV and laugh. I want to see it but my hubby does not. he and my niece felt it was in poor taste and should not have been made. I am one who said then that is the beginnings of censorship and of someone else telling me what I should see or not see and i will fight that to the end. I want to see the film and my hubby doesn't have to watch. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  7. i...have to say that some of its racial jokes rubbed me the wrong way. but, i did like the first 2 acts of the film. the last act fell to pieces to me. it was just SO stoopid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather loved the ending...like, it was so over the top and yet I felt like they completely pulled it off.

      Besides...that interview...like...the whole reason to see the movie!

      Delete
  8. Ah, dug the review, man. I'm glad you liked it, too. Franco, at least paired with Rogen, is about as funny as anyone in Hollywood right now. Skylark is hysterical.

    I didn't mention Park in my post, but you're totally nailed it. He owns as Kim.

    All I can say, is that haters gonna hate. And ainters gonna aint.

    ReplyDelete