Monday, January 5, 2015

North Texas Film Critics Association


Picture: Boyhood
Director: Richard Linklater, Boyhood
Actor: Jake Gyllenhaal, Nightcrawler
Actress: Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons, Whiplash
Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
Foreign Language Film: Ida
Animated Feature Film: The LEGO Movie
Documental Feature Film: Life Itself
Cinematography: Interstellar
Ensemble Cast: Birdman

Could this be the year where the two biggest disappointments of the entire year win Best Picture and Best Foreign Film?  This is disgusting.

10 comments:

  1. The cinematography of Interstellar is definitely the best thing about that film. I'm a fan of Hoyte van Hoytema ever since I saw HER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaaaa please tell me what you really think:) I have to see both of these because of all the hype but also your disgust with them(more Ida than Boyhood I think)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dislike for both grows with every undeserved award they win. They are both so lifeless and empty.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to rewatch Boyhood soon to see what the big deal is, and I LOVED it the first time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for your reevaluated thoughts!

      Delete
    2. Just rewatched it. I liked it, didn't love it. Felt too calculated at times, and it started to lose steam after the first half. I guess Hawke is best in show. Some scenes with Coltrane and his peers felt off or forced, and I always felt Arquette gave a lesser performance than Hawke and Coltrane. I admire Linklater's vision, but I don't think he quite pulled it off. I'm somewhere between and A- and a B+, and I initially gave it an A+! Not sure my love for a film has been that diminished on a second look. (It's not even in my top 20 now!) Oh well. I'd call it good, not great overall.

      Delete
    3. I really wish that my expectations hadn't been so lofty for it...

      Delete
    4. Yeah. I did still love the first half, but it started to fall apart for me around when Arquette's character became a teacher. Given the first 80 minutes or so, I'm probably going with a weak A-.

      Delete