Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Let's talk 'Guilds'...


Birdman
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Mr. Turner
Unbroken

So, this means major support for The Imitation Game, which seemed to be floundering for a while.  Could this really pull a King's Speech?  Is Boyhood vulnerable?


Contemporary
Birdman
Boyhood
Gone Girl
Interstellar
Wild

Fantasy
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt. 1
Into the Woods
Maleficent

Period
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Inherent Vice
Selma
The Theory of Everything

I don't see any major snubs here, and I have a feeling we'll see all of our five Oscar nominees come from this pool as well.


Adapted
American Sniper
Gone Girl
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Imitation Game
Wild

Original
Boyhood
Foxcatcher
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Nightcrawler
Whiplash

So, Birdman, The Theory of Everything, Selma and Mr. Turner were ineligible, thus the snubs.  But, Inherent Vice and Unbroken were NOT ineligible, and they both missed in favor of Guardians of the Galaxy, so I'm thinking that they are probably both dead at this point, which is shocking to me.  American Sniper continues to work it's way towards the top of Oscar's pile.

8 comments:

  1. With all the surprises and ineligible films at various precursors, I think we're in for an interesting group of Oscar noms. Bring on the shockers and head-scratchers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can't wait to see what we're left with on Oscar nom morning!!!

      Delete
  2. Though it is excellently written, Guardians feels like a surprise nom to me. Seems a little goofy for this sort of thing without the vote attracting quirkiness of Grand Budapest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's an odd nom, but someone mentioned that Gunn is kind of one of their own, and they like nominating them when they strike big.

      Delete
  3. Guardians is up?? Weird...OK I am wondering what will happen come oscar noms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a few key ineligible screenplays here, so Guardians still has a major uphill battle for a nom (it won't get one), but seeing it show up over more likely Oscar fair is odd.

      Delete
  4. You know, I think Wild for costume is kind of bullshit when I think of films like God Help The Girl getting ignored.

    I think I'm going to start watching Boyhood today. I'm probably going to have to watch it in parts since my kid thinks he deserves my constant attention or something. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bah, children. I love when I work from home because I can watch movies on my computer and tell the kids to leave me alone because I'm working :-P

      And yeah, these guilds can get stuck in a rut, nominating the same movies over and over without really taking in all that has come out in a film year.

      Delete