Saturday, January 24, 2015

Everybody jump!


I never saw the television show, ’21 Jump Street’.  It was popular way before I was old enough to care.  My sisters liked it, I think.  When it was announced that the show was getting a big screen adaptation with Tatum and Hill in the leads, I didn’t really care.  Some dumb buddy cop comedy that was going to get slaughtered with the reviews and produce a hand full of belly laughs resulting in a mediocre yet mildly entertaining trip to the movies; that’s what I thought. 

I didn’t expect to pretty much love everything about the film.

Sure, it was stupid, but in a really clever way, and Hill and Tatum were such inspired (and surprisingly so) choices, and their chemistry was undeniable, infectious even.  Hill has always had a knack for developing believable chemistry with his co-stars (whether it be Cera, Pitt or DiCaprio), but there was something so deeply honest about the way he meshed with Tatum that it felt even more real, even more authentic.

I totally believe that these guys are major besties off screen, and that’s all that matters.



With my surprise adoration of the first film in check, the idea of a sequel left me super excited and super nervous.  There were so many ways that they could have completely screwed this up, and yet they didn’t.  No, this is NOT as good as the first film, but despite some snags, it knows when to recycle previous gags and scenarios for comedic effect and when to bring out something fresh, and while the same formula of jealous egos butting heads is used here (this time in a reverse order), the jokes and core themes are developed so well that it doesn’t matter.

We know we saw this before, but we saw it differently.

My main issue here is merely the film’s running time.  Sure, it isn’t that long (not quite 2 hours) and yet, it feels long.  The last segment (that Miami sequence) feels like it drags out the film, even if it does give us closure and tidies up the storylines.  It just felt like the film could have used some trimming to make it a tad brisker in parts.  For me, it just lacked a bit of that sharpness that the original had.


Still, this is one clever comedy, and nearly all the gags work well here.  The nods to the first film are obvious, but they work well in this formula.


I will add this though; I kind of really hope they don’t make a ’23 Jump Street’.

For me, this is a solid B, a lot of fun with some visible flaws that, in the long run, don't matter!

16 comments:

  1. " I totally believe that these guys are major besties off screen, and that’s all that matters."

    Oh, they are :) You need to check out this story Jonah shared one time on Conan - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLiXzDiJ4Do

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping that credits sequence kind of ensures they won't make more of these. I wasn't that impressed with this one, but I loved the first so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one truly was the better beast.

      Delete
  3. I loved the film too. I loved the Miami sequence so much though, mainly because of how funny the girl-villain is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was hilarious, but I really felt like that sequence just drug on the film too much, even if it did tidy up the loose ends.

      Delete
  4. I love this movie, even that final sequence. Just about all of it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the film. I knew what it was going to do and they knew they were re-hashing everything which made it funny. There's some hilarious moments in that film that I loved as it brought in big laughs. My favorite moment in the film is Jonah Hill pretending to be a Chicano and Channing Tatum then say "my name is Jeff" in a Hispanic accent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a brilliant way to open the film! Tatum was on fire here...comedic genius. Really, his talent is shining so bright as of late...love it!

      Delete
  6. Funny I have no real desire to see these films but I might one day and glad to hear it appears better than I thought

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'd make a hilarious double feature!

      Delete
  7. What I love most from this sequel is how it mocks sequel. So natural, so funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, for the most part I'd completely agree with that statement.

      Delete
  8. Yeah, this isn't as good as the first, but it's still funny and entertaining. I don't want a 23 Jump Street either, though I'd be interested to see what they'd come up with if it happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling it would go downhill fast...

      Delete