Tuesday, January 13, 2015

DGA, CAS, VES...and now we can predict the Oscars!

Time to take a break from writing reviews for all the films I failed to write reviews for months ago and bring to you the nominees from the Directors, Audio and Visual Guilds, rounding out pretty much every piece of information we're going to need in order to make some informed predictions for the Oscar nominations coming our way on Thursday morning.


Wes Anderson/The Grand Budapest Hotel
Clint Eastwood/American Sniper
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu/Birdman
Richard Linklater/Boyhood
Morten Tyldum/The Imitation Game

American Sniper is SLAYING with the guilds, and this means a lot for a film that is peaking right as the Oscar voting was underway.  I'm predicting it to overperform in a pretty large way.  Selma is snubbed here, and I have a feeling this is going to be reflected in the way that Oscar has voted as well.  I also think this means the death of Fincher, for this should have been a good get for him (they like him).  Tyldum got a major boost, but I just don't see enough passion for him to transfer over into an Oscar nom.  I really think that we'll see a surprise here...in the shape of Chazelle.


American Sniper
Birdman
Guardians of the Galaxy
Interstellar
Unbroken

I predicted an Interstellar snub, since so much hoopla was made about the criticisms of the sound, but big and loud is hard to ignore even if it is distracting, I guess.  Birdman gets a major boost here, and I think it'll ride this into an Oscar nom as well.  I still don't know what to make of Unbroken, like at all.


Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Interstellar
Maleficent
X-Men: Days of Future Past

My only shock here is the omission of Transformers, which I figured would be stronger right now.  Maybe it gets the snub in the end, or maybe it's the shocking nom we all should have seen coming.

10 comments:

  1. Where the fuck did American Sniper come from? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I wrote it off a long while back, but it has come back with a VENGEANCE!

      Delete
  2. Hey are you gonna blog about the DGA that's just announced? Seriously, Clint and Morten Tyldum made it but no Ava DuVernay for Selma nor Fincher for Gone Girl, what what??!

    The Imitation Game was good but it was more of a formulaic biopic, I think the performances made the film for me so this directing nod is a huge surprise to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gurl, look up! This is my DGA post :-P

      Delete
    2. Ahah for some reason I completely missed that, I immediately went to that Audio Society one, sorry!

      Delete
  3. hmmmm-I wonder why Selma is not getting the love...There is always some backstabbing..I mean..story behind things. I have to see Clint Eastwood's film to truly judge but I almost wonder if they don't nominate him like they do Meryl Streep. He could direct Meryl Streep coughing up a hairball and they would be shoo-ins for Oscar for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of it has to do with how late it screened. It was rushed out for Awards Season, and sometimes that backfires. Had this waited a year and come out in like September of 2015, it may have swept the Oscars next year.

      Delete
  4. As far as I can tell, Gone Girl has been falling behind for weeks, so I'll be interested to see if it can make much noise at the Oscars. I expect only a couple of nominations, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the Academy gave it some more love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you were VERY right about Gone Girl...like...ONE nomination. I was scared for Pike.

      Delete