Thursday, January 15, 2015

2014 Oscar Nominations (and thoughts)


Well, it’s time to see how we did.  These Oscar noms are…strange, at least some of them are.  We have some major snubs, some out of nowhere noms and some happy nominations we thought we were crazy for predicting.  Let’s take a look at it, bit by bit.


Best Picture
American Sniper
Birdman
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash

How’d I do?
I correctly predicted all of these.  I did predict nine though, thinking that Gone Girl would happen. 

What about in April?
I correctly predicted ONE!  Birdman was the only film on Oscar’s ballot that I had faith in back in April.

What was snubbed?
Gone Girl and Nightcrawler are the biggest, most glaring omissions, but then again, judging by the rest of the nominations, Foxcatcher missing makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER.

Director
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu/Birdman
Richard Linklater/Boyhood
Bennett Miller/Foxcatcher
Wes Anderson/The Grand Budapest Hotel
Morten Tyldum/The Imitation Game

How’d I do?
I correctly predicted three; Inarittu, Linklater and Anderson.

How about in April?
Again, ONE.  I predicted Miller.

Who was snubbed?
Eastwood, DuVernay, Chazelle and Fincher all looked like they had a much better shot at a nom than Miller, so this is baffling.

Lead Actor
Steve Carell/Foxcatcher
Bradley Cooper/American Sniper
Benedict Cumberbatch/The Imitation Game
Michael Keaton/Birdman
Eddie Redmayne/The Theory of Everything

How’d I do?
I predicted four, missing Carell.

How about in April?
I correctly predicted TWO, Carell and Keaton.

Who was snubbed?
A lot of people.  Fiennes, Gyllenhaal and Oyelowo most notably.  This category was ridiculously tight.  There was no way that there wasn’t going to be some horrific looking snubbing going on.

Lead Actress
Marion Cotillard/Two Days, One Night
Felicity Jones/The Theory of Everything
Julianne Moore/Still Alice
Rosamund Pike/Gone Girl
Reese Witherspoon/Wild

How’d I do?
I correctly predicted the entire lineup.

How about in April?
I predicted TWO, Pike and Witherspoon.

Who was snubbed?
Adams and Aniston were aching for that open spot that rightfully (I’m assuming, since I haven’t seen it) went to Cotillard.

Supporting Actor
Robert Duvall/The Judge
Ethan Hawke/Boyhood
Edward Norton/Birdman
Mark Ruffalo/Foxcatcher
J.K. Simmons/Whiplash

How’d I do?
I correctly predicted the entire category.

How about in April?
I correctly predicted ONE, Norton.

Who was snubbed?
Nobody, really, since these five names were the only ones people mentioned all year long.

Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette/Boyhood
Laura Dern/Wild
Keira Knightley/The Imitation Game
Emma Stone/Birdman
Meryl Streep/Into the Woods

How’d I do?
I correctly predicted four, missing Dern.

How about in April?
I correctly predicted ONE, Stone.

Who was snubbed?
This is hard to judge.  That last spot seemed really wide open, with Swinton, Chastain and Russo all reaching for it.  Dern is surprising, to be honest.

Original Screenplay
Birdman
Boyhood
Foxcatcher
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Nightcrawler

How’d I do?
I predicted four, missing Foxcatcher.

How about in April?
I predicted TWO, Birdman and Foxcatcher.

What was snubbed?
It feels really odd that Selma missed here.

Adapted Screenplay
American Sniper
The Imitation Game
Inherent Vice
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash

How’d I do?
I got four right.

How about in April?
I correctly predicted ONE, Inherent Vice.

What was snubbed?
Um, where the FUCK is Gone Girl?  This makes no sense whatsoever.  Like, I call absolute and total BS.

Animated Film
Big Hero 6
The Boxtrolls
How to Train your Dragon 2
Song of the sea
The Tale of The Princess Kaguya

How’d I do?
Got four.

How about in April?
I predicted TWO, Dragon and Boxtrolls.

What was snubbed?
Like, did ANYONE think LEGO was going to get the shaft here?

Foreign Film
Ida
Leviathan
Tangerines
Timbuktu
Wild Tales

How’d I do?
I got four (there is a pattern here), missing Timbuktu.

How about in April?
Big ol’ goose-egg.

What was snubbed?
Judging from the numbers, Force Majeure should have been the frontrunner for the win…

Documentary Feature
Citizenfour
Finding Vivian Maier
The Salt of the Earth
The Last Days in Vietnam
Virunga

How’d I do?
I got two.

How about in April?
I don’t predict these that far in advance.

What was snubbed?
Um, Life Itself!

Original Score
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Interstellar
Mr. Turner
The Theory of Everything

How’d I do?
Four, again.

How about in April?
One, Interstellar.

What was snubbed?
Gone Girl missing here is ridiculous.

Original Song
Everything is Awesome/The LEGO Movie
Glory/Selma
Grateful/Beyond the Lights
I’m Not Gonna Miss You/Glenn Campbell: I’ll Be Me
Lost Stars/Begin Again

How’d I do?
Four correct, missing Grateful.

How about in April?
I got ONE, Everything is Awesome.

What was snubbed?
Really, nothing.  This category is always all over the place, so anything could have popped up.  All the expected showed up.

Film Editing
American Sniper
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Whiplash

How’d I do?
I got four.

How about in April?
None.

What was snubbed?
Birdman missing is odd.

Cinematography
Birdman
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Ida
Mr. Turner
Unbroken

How’d I do?
Four.

How about in April?
TWO, Birdman and Unbroken.

What was snubbed?
I guess that all the backlash over awarding visual effects in this category finally got to the nominating branch, since Interstellar, which seemed like a lock here for so long, got the shaft.

Art Direction
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Interstellar
Into the woods
Mr. Turner

How’d I do?
Four, again.

How about in April?
ONE, Into the Woods.

What was snubbed?
I can’t really say anything was.  I thought that Birdman would pop up here, simply because love for the film was strong, but this all makes sense.

Costume Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Inherent Vice
Into the Woods
Maleficent
Mr. Turner

How’d I do?
I got four.

How about in April?
TWO, Inherent Vice and Into the Woods.

What was snubbed?
Nothing, really.

Makeup
Foxcatcher
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Guardians of the Galaxy

How’d I do?
Two correct, missing Foxcatcher.

How about in April?
Nothing.

What was snubbed?
A lot, but they didn’t make the shortlist, so they aren’t really snubs.

Sound Editing
American Sniper
Birdman
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Interstellar
Unbroken

How’d I do?
Three.

How about in April?
THREE; Hobbit, Interstellar, Unbroken.

What was snubbed?
Who knows…

Sound Mixing
American Sniper
Birdman
Interstellar
Unbroken
Whiplash

How’d I do?
Three.

How about in April?
TWO, Interstellar, Unbroken.

What was snubbed?
Again, this is always such a gamble.

Visual Effects
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Guardians of the Galaxy
Interstellar
X-Men: Days of Future Past

How’d I do?
I only got three…

How about in April?
TWO, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and Interstellar.

What got snubbed?
Did anyone see a Hobbit snub coming?

Doc Short
Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1
Joanna
Our Curse
The Reaper
White Earth

Short Live
Aya
Boogaloo and Graham
Butterlamp
Parvenah
The Phone Call

Animated short
The Bigger Picture
The Dam Keeper
Feast
Me and My Moulton
A Single Life


I don’t ever predict shorts, because there really is no way to do so.

18 comments:

  1. I'm happy that Marion got nominated but no Lego Movie, no major nods for Gone Girl, no Gyllenaal, Fiennes? FACKING BULLSHIT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of those, especially LEGO Movie, are really baffling.

      Delete
  2. Nice round-up. There were quite a few surprises! Gone girl score, J Gyllenhaal for Nightcrawler, and Force Majeure for foreign film I wanted to see. T Spall for Mr Turner was probably a long shot given how many strong male leads there were .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once Spall was snubbed by BAFTA, I knew that his Oscar chances were over, especially in such a crowded field.

      Delete
  3. I'm delighted about Marion. Wish Meryl had sat this one out so Rene Russo could have gotten in but with Jake missing too I guess they were indifferent to the film. Really surprised about Cooper and somewhat about Carell I thought that he had dropped after his initial burst of popularity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not that surprised about Cooper (obviously, I was predicting him). That character is pure bait (real life person, PTS, death) and the film was rising so quickly, it just felt inevitable.

      Delete
  4. Gone Girl got straight up hosed, man. Love seeing Dern on here for Wild. That movie was great! I think I'm most pissed about Life Itself missing the doc nom. That makes no sense to me. Alas, I never see any new documentaries. I'm just an Ebert fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life Itself missing is really odd...and the Gone Girl hosing is gross. I was actually nervous for Pike. Once it missed Screenplay, I figured she'd get snubbed too.

      Delete
  5. There are some snubs like The Hobbitt and Jessica Chastain but I am glad Marion Cotillard got the nom over Jennifer Aniston. I have to say you did really well!! Kudos! Now about sound editing and sound mixing...one is where they use strange items to make the sounds and the other is for...um...what? I forget every time and one still has to explain them to me so it sticks. I have to see as many films as I can before the big night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so awful about the sound categories, but I believe mixing is the capturing of the natural sound on set, and editing is the addition of exterior sounds.

      Delete
  6. Gone Girl only leaves Rosamund Pike to be nominated and Neill Patrick Harris there! What's more interesting? The LEGO Movie only appears in Best Original Song, what's that supposed to mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The LEGO snub is just so bizarre...like...it makes no sense...and this probably means that awful Dragon movie is winning the Oscar!

      Delete
  7. I love how you included your April predictions, that's a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to look back and see how awful I was at predicting a whole year out. LOL, and I'll do it again this April!

      Delete
  8. I'm only semi-surprised Gone Girl didn't snag a nom for Best Pic or Fincher for Director because there just didn't seem to be any buzz for the movie. It's almost like it was too popular with movie going audiences for Oscar's tastes. And yeah, it definitely should've gotten a nom for screenplay. It's also odd to see all the noms for Foxcatcher except for Best Pic. Still, the biggest snub to me is The LEGO Movie.That one is pretty incomprehensible.Great job with the predictions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read an article on the five reasons The LEGO Movie didn't snag a nom, and it made a lot of sense. The branch votes, so it's not about a popularity thing, and they are required to watch every film in contention (so all 20 this year) and they don't have a ballot they fill out...they simply watch every movie and give it a grade, and then those grades are tabulated and the five with the highest grade move on. They are also notorious for adoring handmade movies (thus the foreign films) and they tend to want to honor those that are visually progressive. The snub actually makes sense in that context, but it's still a shame and a blow, considering how well it was doing with precursors.

      Delete
  9. Love that you tied in your April predictions. I just posted how I did with them, and it was BAD.

    I'm so happy for Cotillard. Like, that's probably my favorite nomination of the bunch. It's also awesome to see Beyond the Lights get a surprise nod. Hopefully, that will lead to more people actually seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started to tally my April predictions, but I lost count somewhere and got frustrated so I stopped :-P

      Cotillard made me so happy...SO HAPPY!!!

      Delete