Saturday, December 6, 2014

Ten films qualify for the Visual Effects Oscar...


Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Godzilla
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Interstellar
Maleficent
Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb
Transformers: Age of Extinction
X-Men: Days of Future Past

No real shocks here, other than Exodus, which I thought would have a real shot here.  No Noah either.  I guess they didn't like their biblical epics, despite their heavy use of CGI.  Apparently, you need to either feature superheros or outer-space in order for Oscar to take you seriously here, which is a shame.

8 comments:

  1. I still have to see some of these films(Maleficent) but I do get why Noah is not on the list. I was underwhelmed by the film and the stone angels reminded me too much of the trees in Lord of the Rings. This film was also not true to the actual story which they just shouldn't tamper with and I am not religious by any means

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was one of Noah's vocal supporters, mostly because I felt the inspired nature of it. Now I am VERY religious, and so I was weirded out by how far they stretched things...but I felt like the underlying impact was very profound. It had a lot to say, and it said it without shame.

      Delete
  2. I'm not too surprised with the list either, but after seeing the trailer for Exodus in the cinema over the weekend I'm shocked that it's not up there!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the biggest shock to me. It looked like a real showy contender.

      Delete
  3. I figured Noah would at least make the top 10, but at least my predictions appear to be intact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more shocked about Exodus. Noah had those awful animal CGI...even if the actual flood was incredible.

      Delete