Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Random Oscar thought of the day: Are we underestimating Brendan Gleeson?


The Lead Actor race is heating up, with four of the five spots looking sewn up (Cumberbatch, Keaton, Oyelowo & Redmayne), but that fifth spot is, or at least was, looking like a battle between Carell, Spall and Cooper.  Carell has been mentioned nowhere really, and Cooper's reviews don't illicit immediate faith, so I'm starting to think they don't matter anymore.  Spall has the prestige factor and the passion from a select group, and he's charming as all get out (and overdue for some sort of mention), but his film isn't an easy one to embrace (from what I hear) and so I'm wondering if he may wind up on the outside looking in.

Which brings me to Brendan Gleeson.  Back in April, when Josh and I revealed our first predictions of the year, I had Gleeson in my predictions.  My exact reasoning was this:

based on some stupid ass dream I had where Gleeson became a thing and because I love him I decided to pretend that my dreams mean something.

Now, I'm not dreaming this anymore because Gleeson has, kind of out of nowhere, become a thing.  First, he won the BIFA over the likes of Cumberbatch and Spall.  He also snagged a win out of BOFCS and he's been nominated today from OFCS and PFCS.  He also has an EFA nomination, and he could very well win that as well.  While these could be seen as small potatoes, his name is continually popping up, and in a field where their is only one spot left, popularity is a big deal.  Spall has NYFCC and the Cannes win, which is big, but Calvary is an easier film to digest, and those who have seen it have noted that Gleeson gives possibly the best performance of the year.  

I haven't seen it yet, but this is a nomination I could get behind 100%!

12 comments:

  1. Let's see if your dream comes true-It would be neat if it did eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would kind of be hilarious, actually.

      Delete
  2. "Calvary is an easier film to digest". oh no, I disagree completely. I thought the film was boring and awful that's one thing, but the subject matter and the content of the film alone makes it extremely unpleasant.

    He is not getting nominated, as fantastic as he was. I'm also sad about the film's original score, it was gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've had my random thought shot down already, and it's only been up for like an hour :-P

      I knew you didn't respond well to it...so I was wondering what you'd think about this.

      Delete
  3. I really hope Brendan Gleeson gets some recognition. He's due for one. The man is really fucking good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I'm intrigued to see if he pops up at SAG tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. I love Calvary and Brendan Gleeson's role in the feature. Isn't his character sympathetic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally think so. Like I said, I haven't seen this yet (although, I'm hoping to tomorrow), but from what I hear, it sounds like this would be a very sympathetic role...and one he nails.

      Delete
  6. Gleeson doesn't have a chance, unfortunately. It's very likely that he misses at BAFTA as well. Too many Brits in contention this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a dumb question, but one I had while watching his name continue to pop up all over the place. He obviously has passion, but I know that's not enough.

      Delete