Tuesday, December 23, 2014

My First Movie Blogathon!


This was due on December 2nd.  I'm so sorry.  Life is so damn busy that I totally forgot about this until yesterday.  Luckily, I've known from the first day I read about Flick Chick's very first blogathon which movie I was going to talk about.

The rules were simple:

1. Write a post about your 'First Movie' (interpret that as you will), you can choose multiple movies if you have ideas for more than one - go nuts!

2. Include the banner above in your post and link it to this post.

3. Comment on this post or e-mail flickchicks2014@gmail.com to let us know you have contributed.

So, my first movie memorable movie experience is kind of shaky.  I have a lot of movie memories from my youth, so figuring out the first was hard.  I'm not sure I have it right.  I mean, I remember Oliver and Company and All Dog's Go to Heaven being on heavy rotation in my house, and I have very fond memories of both.  I remember countless movie musicals being staples, like Fiddler on the Roof, My Fair Lady and The King and I, all of which I was well versed in before I went to school.  I remember sneaking to see Jaws as a child, possibly even pre-school age, and being so scared of it that I couldn't even look at the pool and even had nightmares that Jaws lived under my bed.

But one film stood out to me almost immediately, and because of that I decided it was the one to stick with.



What little boy isn't obsessed with dinosaurs?  As a young child, I saw this film often.  It was released when I was 3, and while I did not see it in the theaters, I know I saw it the minute it hit VHS, and we owned it, so I watched it countless times.  The memory that I have of this that sent it over the edge for me, with regards to this particular blogathon, was that damn tree star.  Growing up in New England, we had a slew of Maple Trees in our backyard, and if you're unfamiliar with their leaves, well:


I can't tell you how many of these things I ate.  It's a good thing I'm not a horse (since, apparently they're toxic to horses).  But yes, I was pretty much determined to be like Little Foot, and so I ate these with reckless abandon.

So, for this blogathon, I figured I'd sit down with the kids and watch this movie as a family.  It's been, like, two decades since I saw this.  I recently posted my 1988 Fisti Awards, and I included this in Original Song and in Score and had such fond memories of the film that I was thinking it could have an outside shot at Best Picture...but I'm glad I didn't do that, because sitting down last night to watch this it was clear that, nostalgia aside, this is kind of a bad movie.  Like, it's so...not good.  I still love the score and the song and the feeling of childhood rushing over me was pretty awesome (and my kids loved it, so snuggling on the couch with three kids on my lap while they smiled and cheered and recoiled in suspenseful excitement was a nice moment), but the film feels so rushed and somewhat hollow, cliched and underdeveloped and just, well, in parts very dumb.  I mean, there is no logic to some sequences (like, Little Foot separates from the group to head in the opposite direction, and yet when his friends are about to die in lava, he's right around the corner?), the progression of character/plot is so swift that it feels like they just threw a bunch of random action scenes in a pot and stirred, and the actual character development is poor (like, Sarah just sucks).

But still, there were so many moments I remembered so clearly, despite the 20+ year span since the last time I saw this.  The brier patch scene with the Sharp Tooth, the lava scene, the death of Little Foot's mother; hell, even the opening scene with the little water dino popping water bubbles was a moment I remembered clearly.  So, for all of that, I enjoyed watching this again and sharing those moments with my kids.  In fact, they've already watched it again this morning, so I feel like I gave them a part of my childhood, and that makes my heart smile, as a parent.

But I'd rather them watch Oliver and Company, because a recent revisit to that one proved just as fond as the first time I saw it.

14 comments:

  1. Oh that's sweet. I love that movie. I think mine was the live action "Popeye" with Robin Williams. I can't wait to watch Land Before Time with my little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wished I loved the movie itself as much as I loved the experience, but as a parent the experience always outweighs everything else, so it was a very wonderful night.

      Delete
  2. This is a very sweet post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a pleasure to put together :-D

      Delete
  3. I love this post so much, it's exactly the kind of post I hoped for when we put this Blogathon together.

    Thank you so much for sharing and contributing to our Blogathon. We will be putting the final post together early Jan so look out for it.

    Have a lovely Christmas and New Year :)

    - Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I'm glad you liked this! Again, I'm sorry this is late, but it was such a pleasure to put together. I can't wait for the collective post so I can see what everyone else had to say!

      Delete
  4. I love this movie. I was only one when it was in theaters, so I saw it on VHS too. I recently got it for my son too, I hope he loves it eventually. I can't believe how embarrassing the sequels got though. OMG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't think I ever saw any of the sequels...and I guess I should avoid them :-P

      Delete
  5. I remember this film coming out and never wanted to see it:) I am much older with no kids so that is a big reason. I am glad you have such wonderful memories. One of my first memories is the original King Kong (I'm not that old!:)) It was on a Sunday Movie for the Afternoon and it was fun to watch with my dad. I remembered the spiders going after the men who fell into that pit and I read later that that piece is lost but I remember seeing it as I am terrified of spiders and that scene really stuck with me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you mention King Kong, because when my daughter was 3, we watched the 1933 original together and she was obsessed with it. She wanted to watch it all the time, and so it became this thing we did...and since then she's loved to just snuggle on the couch and watch classics with me, which I just adore!

      Delete
  6. Ooh, I loved this as a child! I watched it a lot too, though I've not seen it since the 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to watch this quite a lot as a child too. They used to air it on TV on public holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was always on at our house :-D

      Delete