Saturday, December 6, 2014

Boston Online Film Critics Association...


Best Picture 
Snowpiercer

Director 
Alejandro G. Inarritu/Birdman

Actor 
Brendan Gleeson/Calvary

Actress
Marion Cotillard/Two Days One Night

Supporting Actor
Edward Norton/Birdman

Supporting Actress
Tilda Swinton/Snowpiercer

Screenplay
Calvary

Foreign Film
Two Days, One Night

Documentary
Life Itself

Animated Film
The Lego Movie

Cinematography
Birdman

Editing
Edge of Tomorrow

Score
Under the Skin

Ensemble
Birdman

THE TEN BEST FILMS OF THE YEAR
1. SNOWPIERCER 
2. UNDER THE SKIN 
3. BOYHOOD 
4. ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE 
5. THE BABADOOK 
6. TWO DAYS ONE NIGHT 
7. BIRDMAN 
8. CALVARY 
9. INHERENT VICE 
10. SELMA

Thoughts:
I love it when critic's bodies think with their own minds, and so while I don't agree with their #1, I find it inspired.  I wonder why they have Selma in #10...it feels tacked on to include the film they think is going to win BP at the Oscars and not like they really love it.  The rest of their Top Ten feels more unified to reflect their obvious taste this year, and it is truly inspired, even thought I've only seen three of the films listed.  

I love that Marion is snagging these critic's wins.  In a year like this, she could use them to snag that fifth Best Actress slot, since it is wide open at the moment.  I like to see Gleeson pick up a win here as well, but sadly he isn't going to factor into that Oscar race...

4 comments:

  1. I look at these film titles and started to shake my head...not because of the films represented here but that, earlier today, I went to the local DVD store to buy Season 4 of Downton Abbey for my Hubby and decided to look at what was for rent. There were tons of Expendables 3....ugh.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shame that the readily available films are utter crap, BUT most of these have not been released for rent yet, so there is still hope they'll show up!

      Delete
  2. Love, love, love! Right now, I'm trying to spread CinSpec love between several of these films, especially Birdman, Calvary, Under the Skin and The Immigrant (left out here). I think I might honor all 4 directors like this:

    Best Picture: Birdman
    Best Director: James Gray, The Immigrant
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Under the Skin
    Best Original Screenplay: Calvary

    LOL, that might change by the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what I'm going to do once I see the films high on my watch list. Under the Skin, The Immigrant and Gone Girl are so firmly in my top five right now, but I have no idea how this is going to all shake out one I see Calvary, Birdman, Boyhood, Two Days, One Night and Mommy.

      Delete