Monday, December 8, 2014

Boston, New York and LA want you to know their favorite movies of the year...


Best Picture
Boyhood

Actor
Michael Keaton/Birdman

Actress
Marion Cotillard/The Immigrant & Two Days, One Night

Supporting Actor
J.K. Simmons/Whiplash

Supporting Actress
Emma Stone/Birdman

Director
Richard Linklater/Boyhood

Screenplay
Birdman

Cinematography
Birdman

Documentary
CITIZENFOUR

Foreign Language Film
Two Days, One Night

Animated Film
The Tale of The Princess Kaguya

Film Editing
Boyhood

New Filmmaker
Dan Gilroy/Nightcrawler

Ensemble
Boyhood

Music in Film
Inherent Vice

Thoughts:  I'm all for Cotillard picking up every critics win she can, if it bolsters her to an Oscar nomination.  I love that Stone nabbed an important win here, and it looks like this could be the beginning of the end for any and all other contenders in the Best Picture, Director and Supporting Actor races.


Breakthrough
Jack O’Connell/Unbroken

Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette/Boyhood

Supporting Actor
J.K. Simmons/Whiplash

Screenplay
Birdman

Cinematography
Birdman

Use of Music
Get On Up

Debut Director
Dan Gilroy/Nightcrawler

Director
Richard Linklater/Boyhood

Actress
Marion Cotillard/Two Days, One Night

Actor
Eddie Redmayne/The Theory of Everything

Ensemble
Birdman

Best Picture
Boyhood

Foreign Film
Two Days, One Night

Documentary
Life Itself

Animated Film
The LEGO Movie

Thoughts:  A nice win for Redmayne here, and one I didn't see coming.  It looks like we could actually have a race in Animated Film, although I have a feeling the televised awards could change that, and Documentary is shaping up to be a two-way race right now, which is how it looked last year (between Stories We Tell and The Act of Killing) and one of those was snubbed the Oscar nom, and the other lost to a very 'safe' doc, so you never know what's going to happen.


Editing
Boyhood

Supporting Actor
J.K. Simmons/Whiplash

Production Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Score
Under the Skin & Inherent Vice

Animated Film
The Tale of The Princess Kaguya

Supporting Actress
Agata Kulesza/Ida

Cinematography
Birdman

Documentary
CITIZENFOUR

Actress
Patricia Arquette/Boyhood

Foreign Film
Ida

Screenplay
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Director
Richard Linklater/Boyhood

Actor
Tom Hardy/Locke

Picture
Boyhood

Thoughts:  LAFCA is always good for giving us some obscure choices, but some of these are just...weird.  Arquette Lead seems almost counterproductive, since that is not where she is campaigning and no one else even entertains the idea of her being there.  The fact that she's considered Lead, but Kulesza, who is co-lead, is considered Supporting just makes this group seem...off.  Hardy?  Really?  He's got a 0% chance of an Oscar nod, so he won't even appear on the Awards Tally Page.  I really hope that something makes a clear fight against Ida for Foreign Film this year, since I hated that movie.  Two Days, One Night is picking up a fair share of wins, but I'm not sure Oscar will award that film.

The BIFA's also were held yesterday (it was a busy day for awards watchers) and so I'll be putting in the winners (that matter) on the Awards Tally Page as well.

6 comments:

  1. All this Boyhood stuff is really scaring me. If it wins the Oscar, I will be highly disappointed. Not that it isn't a great film albeit somewhat annoying at times. I just don't think it's the best this year by a long shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it, so I can't judge, but I'm intrigued. That said, I hate sweeps, so I'm not liking all the wins ATM

      Delete
  2. I worry about Cotillard's chances. Which movie does she get nominated for? Harvey dropped the ball with The Immigrant, and can she really get in for a Dardennes film?

    Love that Emma Stone won! (Spoiler: She's my Best Supporting Actress winner right now.) And Kulesza is everything!

    I'm sure J.K. Simmons is phenomenal in Whiplash, but I hope Edward Norton grabs a few more prizes. Hardy's win is an interesting choice. I go back and forth between that performance and his work in The Drop. I love both performances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too worry about Cotillard, but she's getting consistent attention, so maybe...

      Stone is locked in. I can't wait to see her (well, and all of Birdman).

      I'm sad for what should have been Norton's Oscar run...

      Delete
  3. I had no idea there were so many awards at this time of year. It looks like Birdman, Keaton, Cotillard will be in the running. I actually think my head is about to explode:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this is just the tip of the iceberg!

      Delete